What Happens If You Drink Infected Beer!?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaintRoam

Reaction score
Hey,

Just out of interest what are the effects of drinking an infected beer? Is the taste really that obvious? Im sure mines fine since I sterilised the HELL out of everything first. I've got my latest batch thats been resting for 3-4 weeks and I noticed its very cloudy and about an inch of sediement per bottle. My last batches have been straight coopers kits and have been pretty clear but this batch I added hops (which broke out of the bag and probably didnt help..) and steeped pilsner grain. Just curious have super cloudy beers even been okay and tasty? Bit hestitate to try before my wedding incase I get a stomach infection or herpes from these beers.... <_<

Cheers,

Luke

if its infected, you'll know it...

does it taste vinegar-y? or just like beer, but only cloudy??

How did you steep the pils and did you boil. Pils grain requiress mashing.

The pils was precracked and I added to boiling water for 12-15 mins I think from memory? then dropped in the cascade hops bag which my lovely finace broke the hops bag when stirring crazy hard in with the wort. Lessons learned I tell yas!

OK
pils requires mashing, check out john palmer how to brew, free and online for info on mashing.
Some grains (crystal) can be steeped in @70 C water, most need mashing. Check grains in the craftbrewer website for which can be steeped or mashed.

Unlikely that this beer will turn out well.
Cheers
sean

OK
pils requires mashing, check out john palmer how to brew, free and online for info on mashing.
Some grains (crystal) can be steeped in @70 C water, most need mashing. Check grains in the craftbrewer website for which can be steeped or mashed.

Unlikely that this beer will turn out well.
Cheers
sean

really? Thats sucks cause everyone here said just boil it?? Oh well back to the drawing board... Ill still run a test.

Heres the comments thread when i was discussing it: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...64789&st=20

Nothing that grows in beer is really harmful to humans, due to the alcohol and ph level.

You'll be fine, and you'll know if it's off - there's a big difference between 'kit beer taste' and 'infected'.

Havent smelled either yet sorry. Really need to open one dont I? Maybe aill do it tonight and let ya know. Does infected beer have head? Or does it kill it?
Well, a low level infection can cause "gushers".
There's a whole bunch of different off flavours and smells, some which are normal characteristics in other beers.
Someone with a bit more knowhow can clarify it for you (bit of a disclaimer for my super-lazy answer).

Honestly if it's really infected, you'll know it. You have a smell, bravely sip it, and spit it out.
I wouldn't bother worrying about cloudyness & sediment.

Pretty much steep it for 30-60min, rinse the grain with more water, THEN boil all the water (you throw the grain away)
Relax dude, and remember it for next time.

Thats what I did! Soaked the grain strained and rinsed it and then boiled the water. But I didnt do any of that mashing stuff?

yeah you never really answered the questions in your other thread - was it carapils or pilsner?

seeing as though nothing has exploded i'd say you're safe. don't worry about the loose hops, they will settle

let us know how it goes

yeah you never really answered the questions in your other thread - was it carapils or pilsner?

seeing as though nothing has exploded i'd say you're safe. don't worry about the loose hops, they will settle

let us know how it goes

No explosions thank god, will let you know tonight thanks.

I got this one but I dont remeber it saying Lager/Pilsner just Pilsner I think probs wrong? It sez it sontains 250gr carapils.

http://www.brewerschoice.com.au/online-sho...gerpilsner.html

Thats what I did! Soaked the grain strained and rinsed it and then boiled the water. But I didnt do any of that mashing stuff?

Hey saint, you really want to take a little time to get your head around the terminology being used, it will make it
much easier for people to help you out if they can understand clearly what you are saying.

In a previous post you said you added the grains to boiling water, then later say you soaked the grain, drained and boiled the water.....thats a very big difference.

Also take notes and keep records of what you are brewing with and what you do during your brew day, much it easier to find problems, to give clear
answers to questions and mostly for you to remember what you did when you get it right.

+1 for How to Brew....google search, free download, yes its an older version but will teach you all the finer points you need to understand.

In the meantime, crack a beer and try it out, worst case, you spit it out and water the garden with a few cases and lesson learnt or you may just enjoy a nice home made beer.

Hey saint, you really want to take a little time to get your head around the terminology being used, it will make it
much easier for people to help you out if they can understand clearly what you are saying.

In a previous post you said you added the grains to boiling water, then later say you soaked the grain, drained and boiled the water.....thats a very big difference.

Also take notes and keep records of what you are brewing with and what you do during your brew day, much it easier to find problems, to give clear
answers to questions and mostly for you to remember what you did when you get it right.

+1 for How to Brew....google search, free download, yes its an older version but will teach you all the finer points you need to understand.

In the meantime, crack a beer and try it out, worst case, you spit it out and water the garden with a few cases and lesson learnt or you may just enjoy a nice home made beer.

Believe me im trying too! Once you take a step away from kit beers I didnt realise the world of abbrieviations out there!! Slowly getting my head around but that was a rookie error with the boiling post sorry. Ill take notes DEFINITLY for the next batch. Thanks for the hel like usual guys great work!

An inch of sediment per bottle? That seems like an awful lot. You should only have a couple of ml of sediment in each bottle. It sounds as though somethings not right. How much yeast did you pitch? Ahhh the fun of making the transition to extract and grain. Dont be discouraged, it all makes sense after you do a few brews ;)

An inch of sediment per bottle? That seems like an awful lot. You should only have a couple of ml of sediment in each bottle. It sounds as though somethings not right. How much yeast did you pitch? Ahhh the fun of making the transition to extract and grain. Dont be discouraged, it all makes sense after you do a few brews ;)

Yeah thats why I was concerned with all the sediement. When I first bottled it was crazy cloudy and it seems its all settled down the bottom, I can post a pic tonight not sure if you will see it though. Just used a US-05 Yeast sachet (something grams?) I got all the stuff from the LHBS so it must be okay together. Ill def keep at it and chances are it'll be fine, my first 3 batches were great! Just as paranoid as a crack user at the mo.

Back