What Happens If You Drink Infected Beer!?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What was the final gravity of the brew? maybe it hadn't finished?

This seems quite likely to me, from the confusing mix of processes nowhere have you metioned how long it brewed for, what OG you started
with and what your FG was.

Also agree with Manticle, sit down and write out a detailed process list, assuming it will be difficult as it seems you have no records of what you did.

Took and OG and FG but didnt record it :( I brewed it for 2 weeks during the cold snap at around 18dg mark and the gravity had settled for 2 days before bottling. Ill write out what did its pretty much the process listed in the previous thread.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...64789&st=20

That amount of sediment is fine.

The beer looks normal for k&b. Bit lively for my preference but no obvious issue for me.

Many people perceive kit twang as sourness - any chance that's what you're getting (I know this isn't your first HB)?

Yeesh guys make beer not war!! Heres step by step of what i remember & please excuse the termo as you can see im no pro:

Ingriedients:
1 can Coopers Canadian Blonde
US05
Cascade Hops bag
250g carapils
BrewersChoice special blend 1kg mix of Dextrose/Light Dry Malt & I think a hint of Corn for the head retention?

1) put the 250g of Carapils in a bowl with 2 litres of water (2 parts boiling,1 part cold water) bringing it to 65 deg and let it sit for 1/2hr then strained into a pot pouring hot water over the carapils. Discarded the carapils and brought the strained liquid to the boil for 15mins took it off the heat and place the cascade hops tea bag into the hot liquid.

2) Sterilised the S#@T outta everything, placed the canadian blonde tin in warm water in the sink for 10mins then added it to the carboy with the carapils liquid and the hops bag also adding the 1kg of BrewersChoice Booster malt/dex mix. Missus and I stirred the hell out of everything in the carboy for 10mins (i believe at this stage she stirred so hard it busted the hops bag as I latter found it floating on top with a hole and no contents)

3) Brought it up to the 23 litre mark with a mix of filtered bottled water that had been chilled in the fridge and tap water until I hit around 18-19 deg temp on the thermo. Took an OG but didnt pay much notice, only thought this was for Alcohol %.

4) Lastly added the US-05 Yeast (1 sachet 12gm? not sure) to the top little stir and closed her up. Let it go bubbling away for 2 weeks temp was bouncing around the cold snap going anywhere from 16deg - 20. Took a gravity reading. waited another day took another one and it was steady with a FG reading of 10-10 (not sure exactly what the number was but I saw a 10 above and a little 10 below) This has been usually the number my last 3 batches was at so I was happy.

5) Sterilised the crap out of the bottles/caps and went to bottle the first one when I noticed the tap wasnt stopping it poured out everywhere! The little bottler end had come off so I turned of the tap resterilised everything again and continued to bottle and cap away fine adding to carb tabltets per long neck.

Thats anbout it I think unless I missed something (probably) Thought it tasted pretty good last night, just had a bit of bitterness I think at the end. Its my first stray away from kits though. The photo with the crazy head was my bad pouring just wanted to see what the head was holding like :(

Your process seems fine, if it tastes good - it is good.
Next time don't worry about stirring the carboy for 10mins, just do it enough for the ingredients to mix, and when you tip the water in, allow it to splash around.
Leaving the bottles (once carbed) in the fridge for a week or more before drinking will help the crud to settle.

the strange bitterness you are tsting is probably from the hops and grain, it will settle with time.

The first time you taste that grain in a kit it seems a little strange, but as with all/most kits time in the bottle will be your friend.

Just from my experience with carb drops, 2 per longie is too much, they will get over carbed with time. 1 1/2 per longie is much better, cut some in half with the butt
end of a decent weighted knife, or look into bulk priming...much more control over carb levels.

Your process seems fine, if it tastes good - it is good.
Next time don't worry about stirring the carboy for 10mins, just do it enough for the ingredients to mix, and when you tip the water in, allow it to splash around.
Leaving the bottles (once carbed) in the fridge for a week or more before drinking will help the crud to settle.
+1 Your process looks good (better than I used to do, lol)

The recipe looks like a winner too.
Do it again but use goldings & S-04 yeast instead, and compare them side by side.

+1 Your process looks good (better than I used to do, lol)

The recipe looks like a winner too.
Do it again but use goldings & S-04 yeast instead, and compare them side by side.

Will do! Thanks for the hot tip ;) just not sure about grain part with I was meant to steep or mash it? Need to write everything down next time.

i would have said do it again, but with more hops than just a teabag - aren't they only 12g or something?

try for something like 45g boiled for a few minutes with your steeping grain juice and some malt, as per your other thread

and yeah also try what petesbrew said - same kit & malt, diff hops & yeast - you'll be surprised

i would have said do it again, but with more hops than just a teabag - aren't they only 12g or something?

try for something like 45g boiled for a few minutes with your steeping grain juice and some malt, as per your other thread

and yeah also try what petesbrew said - same kit & malt, diff hops & yeast - you'll be surprised

Sounds good, have to try this when I get back from Japan. Wonder if they sell any crazy kits over there?? I like the hops taste so definitely keen to amp that up. Do you buy the hops as pellets and just add that to the steeping liquid? as for the yeast is one sachet enough or do you need 2 or something?

Sounds good, have to try this when I get back from Japan. Wonder if they sell any crazy kits over there?? I like the hops taste so definitely keen to amp that up. Do you buy the hops as pellets and just add that to the steeping liquid? as for the yeast is one sachet enough or do you need 2 or something?
yep hop pellets are about $10/90g from site sponsors - however you can get 3 pounds (about 1.36kg) landed from the USA for about $50. as for when to add the hops you have to decide what you want from them

flavour - boil with your steeped grain juice and some malt for about 10 minutes - say 2 Litres of water + 200g malt + steep juice
aroma - dry hop - add to fermenter after the vigorous fermentation has slowed down. (the co2 from the yeast will scrub the hop aroma if you add them earlier)
bit of both - boil for a coupla minutes

and 1 packet of yeast is fine

good luck in japan - i hear the used underpants in the vending machines are divine this time of year :icon_drool2:

Latest posts

Back