What does this taste mean??

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pale blue pig

Reaction score
Hey guys,

so I’ve done a few batch of All Grain now,and my latest is the second one with this weird taste. Kind of like rotten fruit, I can still taste/smell the hops, but just this weird unpleasant taste and smell is there. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?
Thanks in advance!!

Sorry should have mentioned doing a pale ale, dry hopped with 200grams on day 5, used white labs coastal haze. Fermented at 19 for 7 days, then bumped up to 22 for 2 days then cold crashed for a day.

Infection is the most likely cause, sounds like a wild yeast to me.
Problem is its really hard to know without the beer in front of you.
There are other possibilities some are process related and often a problem flavour isn't just the one thing but a synergy of things that add up to a problem. If you are doing short or inadequate boils there might be some DMS which can throw some fruity flavours, add in a bit of Diacetyl and some grassy notes from using the wrong late hops and who knows how its going to taste to you. There in is the other rub, people taste smell and describe smells and tastes differently so its hard to get the right impression in writing.

If you have a good local home brew shop who know their stuff, or a club where hopefully you might find a couple of trained judges some independent appraisal might help pin down the problem.

I would do a major clean, right down to components - take everything apart - and go totally nuclear on everything.
Ideally use a different sanitiser, incase you have bugs that are tolerant to what you are using.
Then do a basic simple low everything beer like say a Coopers Pale Ale, use fresh yeast if you are a yeast farmer/recycler.
Do all the basics right, minimum 60 minute mash and boil, see if the off flavour is gone then build from there.
I would stick to a well known recipe where you have a fair notion where the beer will end up, rather than getting creative.
Luck hope its just a cleaning issue.
Mark

I'd be interested to see if you solved the problem on your next brew. Be sure to post back!

A
Infection is the most likely cause, sounds like a wild yeast to me.
Problem is its really hard to know without the beer in front of you.
There are other possibilities some are process related and often a problem flavour isn't just the one thing but a synergy of things that add up to a problem. If you are doing short or inadequate boils there might be some DMS which can throw some fruity flavours, add in a bit of Diacetyl and some grassy notes from using the wrong late hops and who knows how its going to taste to you. There in is the other rub, people taste smell and describe smells and tastes differently so its hard to get the right impression in writing.

If you have a good local home brew shop who know their stuff, or a club where hopefully you might find a couple of trained judges some independent appraisal might help pin down the problem.
I would do a major clean, right down to components - take everything apart - and go totally nuclear on everything.
Ideally use a different sanitiser, incase you have bugs that are tolerant to what you are using.
Then do a basic simple low everything beer like say a Coopers Pale Ale, use fresh yeast if you are a yeast farmer/recycler.
Do all the basics right, minimum 60 minute mash and boil, see if the off flavour is gone then build from there.
I would stick to a well known recipe where you have a fair notion where the beer will end up, rather than getting creative.
Luck hope its just a cleaning issue.
Mark
Awesome thanks for the advice mate! It was my first time using a white labs liquid yeast, I also might try dry hoping earlier. And clean everything again and again haha

Yeah will do! Might brew the same recipe and just be extra careful haha
what sort of fermenter are u using? If it’s a PET check there’s no small scratches or anything as that can harbour bacteria. I ditched the Krausen ring on my coopers fermenter as I could see small scratches, probably would’ve been fine but I got spooked.

G'day pbp, have you bottled this brew or is it kegged? The 1st long neck from my very 1st brew had a weird foul smell.... thought it was going to be a train wreck.... luckily the rest were good. Have not brewed a bad beer since.

Latest posts

Back