• We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.

What do you prime with?

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

davester

Reaction score
I have always used plain white sugar, but would be interested in hearing what others use??

davester

Reaction score
woops, looks like I posted this in the wrong topic area, meant for the pub, oh well....

Linz

Reaction score
I use white sugar too. I have heard of others using wheat malt powder and racking onto that in a bottling bucket.
I've also used the coopers/morgans "lollies" also but I've also got two infected beers. I think my bad handling of the lollies had a bit to do with it

Linz :angry:

kook

Reaction score
I've used white sugar, morgans and coopers drops (lollies) and dried light malt extract.

I usually use the drops for ease though i'm going to switch to bulk priming with DLME or dextrose from now on for accuracy.

PostModern

Iron Wolf Brewery
Reaction score
Depends on the recipe. Usually I bulk-prime with DME, but I tried a couple of bottles in my last batch with light brown sugar. I think the DME primed bottles tasted better and had smaller bubbles (which was what I wanted). Really, what you use should depend on the style you're after.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
Only have to bottle about 4 long necks per brew, but I use either the Coopers carbonation drops or CSR white sugar. Comes down to whatever I put my hands on first.

Doc

PMyers

Reaction score
These days I only ever use DME - light or dark, depending on the style - when I bottle, and I bulk prime. Malt gives smaller bubbles with a tighter, more "mousse like" head. It also aids just that little more in the head retention. Wheat malt is exceptionally good in this regard. I never use - nor do I ever recommend - the Coopers carbonation drops as they contain sucrose, and as far as I'm concerned the use of such an ingredient in beer is a cardinal sin.

Cheers,
Pete

:chug:

GMK

BrewInn Barossa:~ Home to GMKenterprises ~
Reaction score
Pete,

how much light liquid malt would i use if i wanted to bulk prime?

Thanks in advance...

Snow

Beer me up, Scotty!
Reaction score
I bulk prime with 3/4 cup dextrose.

I've heard DME leaves a protein ring around the top of the bottle. Any of you guys noticed this?

kook

Reaction score
Snow said:
I bulk prime with 3/4 cup dextrose.

I've heard DME leaves a protein ring around the top of the bottle. Any of you guys noticed this?
I've only primed one batch with DME, and I did get a protein ring around the top. I just ignored it though :)

PMyers

Reaction score
GMK - I use 11g of DME per litre of brew. This formula seems to work fine for me.

Snow - I haven't noticed any obvious sign of protein rings around the neck of the bottle, although that is not to say that a thin line may or may not form. I haven't really looked very hard for this. If something isn't glaringly obvious, it doesn't bother me overly much.

Cheers,
Pete

dane

Reaction score
MOVED TOPIC TO THE PUB

I always use Dextrose using the Bulk Priming method from 'The Country Brewer'

180grams of Dextrose into a bottling bucket and bottle from there.

Excuse the ignorence but what is DME?

Snow

Beer me up, Scotty!
Reaction score
Dry Malt Extract

PMyers

Reaction score
The actual formula for working out how much dextrose to add for bulk priming is 8 grams per litre of beer. Malt is only about 70% as fermentable as dextrose, hence using 11g (It is actually closer to 10g/L, but I haven't had any problems using 11).

Cheers,
Pete