What Container For A Yeast Starter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpsmusic

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm planning on brewing some higher gravity ales and would like to try using a yeast starter. I understand the process however I'm not sure what type of container to use. Just wondering what people are using?

Cheers,

Chris

Does it need a bung with an airlock or can I use glad wrap (maybe with an elastic band).

I was looking on eBay and noticed that some flasks have a side opening. Maybe this could be used for the airlock?

Does it need a bung with an airlock or can I use glad wrap (maybe with an elastic band).

I was looking on eBay and noticed that some flasks have a side opening. Maybe this could be used for the airlock?

Can get flasks from here flasks

I just put al foil over the top. You don't need an airlock for starters.

Just cover with a bit of foil before boiling, just be careful of wort explosions. I put my stirbar in before boil also for that reason. Will ferment fine once yeast added with the foil cap.
Cheers
Sean

I use 2 l ones plus 250 ml . Would be nice to have a 3 l too.
Use the 250 ones for initial steps from small yeast amounts and for polyclar etc

Also, what size is recommended?

I use a 500ml and a 2L. Normally step starters up from 50ml slant to about 200ml wort in a 500ml flask, then up to 1L wort in a 2L flask. Then chill, tip off the excess and pitch the yeast once warmed back up to pitching temps.

Thanks for the link :D

I just want to confirm that it's OK to heat these on a gas stovetop - i.e. they can handle direct heat from the flame?

Thanks for the link :D

I just want to confirm that it's OK to heat these on a gas stovetop - i.e. they can handle direct heat from the flame?

I've used my 2L flask to make about 40 starters and I boil it on a gas stove on a piece of stainless mesh, then chuck it straight under the cold tap. No breakages, too easy ;)

Not too sure. They are both made from borosilicate glass so would withstand boiling. The 'boiling flasks' don't seem to come in 2L though.

I use a $2 demi john 2 ltres and cling wrap. I found an airlock cut down the growth my inhibiting oxygen. a tip someone gave me recently

I use a $2 demi john 2 ltres and cling wrap. I found an airlock cut down the growth my inhibiting oxygen. a tip someone gave me recently

I have heard this also. That shutting the starter off from oxygen inhibits growth. Al foil works for me, as would cling wrap I suppose.

Good link, do you know roughly what the interstate postage and handling costs on these are?

I use a 5L demijohn for 2 x 23L batches. I also put foil over the top. I boil starter in a pot then cool and transfer into the demijohn, but I'm looking to simplify the process a bit more.

Bowie

wiltronics also have an ebay store, so postage can be calculated easily from that... however...

I find that if you're buying a few things, go through their regular website and add all the items into the checkout cart and then postage gets calculated. If you're buying a few things, they combine postage so it works out cheaper...

Just cover with a bit of foil before boiling, just be careful of wort explosions. I put my stirbar in before boil also for that reason. Will ferment fine once yeast added with the foil cap.
Cheers
Sean

Be careful not to drop the stir bar in! Always slide it down the side ;)

I broke my 2L flask the other day :(, dropped a jar on it inside a PBW vat :(

Al foil is best, just wrap it loosely around the top, so air can still get in. And make sure you oxygenate properly after you have boiled it all off, either through shaking (press the al foil tight for this to prevent spillage) or oxygen stone/air pump. There is no point in making a starter without giving the yeast oxygen to grow.

Latest posts

Back