What Brewing Magazines Do You Buy?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dairymaid

Reaction score
I am interested in subscribing to a brewing magazine - what's the best one?
there is ALL ABOUT BEER - BREW YOUR OWN - BEERS OF THE WORLD and ZYMURGY
There does not seem to be any published in either Aussie or New Zealand
any thoughts

Cheer/beers
Dairymaid

I get byo and zymurgy. Both pretty good. although after a while the articles seem to get recycled.

I buy BYO. It's accessible and not too technical. AllAboutBeer seems to be a beer buyer's mag.

You may be interested in BeerAdvocate magazine with a Founding Subscriber offer that runs out in 3 more days. No affiliation.

Cheers
Seth

dairymaid

I get BYO, its a pretty good mag with good info and some good recipes to try as well. There service to Australian is good. I have heard that Zymurgy can have problems with there posting?? I think that the Australian market is now big enough for a good Mag. Any Takers!!!!!

BS

BYO and Zymurgy are mags about brewing beer.

All About Beer, Beer Advocate and Beers of the World are mags about consuming and appreciating beer.

I get them all, but then again I need to get out more :ph34r: .

When Zymurgy is good, it is very good. Lately it has aped BYO content wise and lost the depth it once had. As kirem said, both these mags tend to run stories in cycles. After a couple of years subscription, there is a real sense of deja vu.

There used to be two Aussie mags in the 90s - Ausbeer and Australian Home Brewer. They were good mags, but Australia couldn't support them a decade ago. The cfraft brewing sector may have grown since, but so have alternative information sources like this one, and the net more generally. I doubt there is a big enough market to support such mags now, either. The kit and kilo brewer doesn't really need a dedicated magazine, and the all grain lunatic fringe (of which I am a card carrying member, btw) is either still not big enough, or reckon they know it all already :p .

I had the opportunity to borrow some old brewing techniques, an excellent mag, still has some of its stories up on the net, my only regret it I didn't fire up the photocopier and that the mag has also gone out of business.

I buy BYO. It's accessible and not too technical. AllAboutBeer seems to be a beer buyer's mag.

You may be interested in BeerAdvocate magazine with a Founding Subscriber offer that runs out in 3 more days. No affiliation.

Cheers
Seth

Thanks for the heads up - just subscribed! :beer:

I get Zymurgy, BYO and Beers of the World at the moment...oh yeah and soon to get Beer Advocate. What WeeStu said about them is spot on. Across the board there is a magazine for any occassion such as techy stuff when brewing or info on brewerys etc when you want to just kick back and relax.

Fortunately some of the articles from Brewing Techniques are still available on line here. Lots of good reading.

Brew Your Own magazine also has a website here. It is also developing into a good online resource. The magazine articles cover a range of levels and makes good reading.

These two links will keep any brewer glued to the screen for days.

Both these links are also included in the links section on Aussiehomebrewer. If you haven't discovered the links section, you are in for a treat. Look in the navbar just below the top logo.

Thanks guys, I am enjoying the links - thanks for that information -
and have also ordered Beer Advocate it seems a reasonable deal at the special price

cheers/beers
dairymaid

Back