What Base Malt To Buy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spudfarmerboy

Reaction score
Hello All,
I have purchased some air tight drums which I intend to store grain in. I mainly brew English bitter/Pale Ales and the odd lager. What grain would people suggest I buy in bulk? I will probably buy a 25 kg bag of base malt and a few kg's of specialty malts.
Also, is it worth paying the extra for imported malts, such as British malts or would Joe White malts be ok.
Cheers

I got myself 20kg of Joe White Pale from Grain and Grape and I intend to get 20kg of Pilsner....
They will deliver up to 25kg (I think it is) for the standard $7.95 shipment to Melb metro, not sure what it is to the country.
Give them a call, they are very helpful!
If you get over 20kg the price just about halves for thier base malts.

I always buy marris otter / Golden promise for my English bitters, i feel they deliver a better flavour profile. Its all down to self preference though.

Unless I am trying for somthing spercific I use Barids Pale/Perl Malt. I find it to be a great base malt leaving clean flavours and can be taken in any direction I want. This is for ales.

If you have a mill and $$ are not the main concern, I would agree that Golden Promise / Maris Otter / Halcyon are the way to go with UK ales, and aren't too expensive per brew if you buy by the sack. I can't speak for JW, as we are in Barrett Burston country up here, but the domestic ale malt makes good sound bitters but I find they need to be 'tricked up' a bit with crystals and a bit of Munich (for example) to add a bit of interest. Just my taste.

1 sack of imported marris otter
1 sack of australian pale ale malt
buy all your other specialty grains on an ad hock basis from the sponsors
plan your brews a month in advance and get a magic parcel on the doorstep full of your specialties ready to go.
:D

UK malts will add a better depth of flavour for UK ales. However, BB Pale is a great all round clean ale malt, and you can *approximate* some of the english flavours if you add a small amount of specialty grains along with it (i.e. munich and biscuit or brown malt). BB Ale would also work ok for lagers if you're only planning on buying 1 type of base malt.

Thanks for the replies fellas. I have never bought grain in bulk before so I thought I would canvas other peoples thoughts. I was leaning towards Maris Otter for my pommy ales. I will give Grain and Grape a call today to check out prices.

One think to keep an eye out for (since you are a new member) is the various grain 'Bulk Buys'.
A couple of times a year, AHB members (in various locations) will organize a bulk purchase of grain, and - in general - save a bit of money doing so.

Until then I'd suggest you get a 25kg bag of TF Maris Otter and depending on how much you brew and what else you brew and some Australian Pale malt. Pils and Wheat malt would be next on the list, but that would depend on how often and what you brew.

Will definitely look out for a bulk buy Wolfy. Thanks for the advice on the other malts to purchase.

I like JW pils.

Hello All,
I have purchased some air tight drums which I intend to store grain in. I mainly brew English bitter/Pale Ales and the odd lager. What grain would people suggest I buy in bulk? I will probably buy a 25 kg bag of base malt and a few kg's of specialty malts.
Also, is it worth paying the extra for imported malts, such as British malts or would Joe White malts be ok.
Cheers

I've used JW ale and Simpsons marris otter in UK style beers. Both are good so start with the cheaper, see how you go then get a bag of the more expensive next time and see how you go.

As for lager - anything pale. Again I'd start with the cheaper and next time get a more expensive version and compare notes. JW pils is fine.

Really though your best bet is to brew the same recipe twice exactly the same - once with JW and once with dingemans or weyermans or simpsons or thomas fawcett BEFORE you buy the bulk bag and see for yourself. Don't take anyone else's word for it. Decide based on that and then buy in bulk.

I can't fault any base malt from Joe white or Barrett burston. Really like both ale malts. Loving jw pils and use galaxy for cream ales, rice lagers (anything with adjuncts). Got a sack of tf floor malted mo and again it's great for uk styles. I agree with manticles post, start with some home grown malt and go from there

I always buy marris otter / Golden promise for my English bitters

I'm hanging out for a bulk buy myself so I can pick up sacks of marris otter + pilsner. Brought a mill a fortnight ago and waiting to put it to use

Almost time for another bulk buy , hint hint ...

There is also Powell's Malt in Braeside, they do all the staple grains and you can drop by anytime and pickup a sack or two. Prices start at around $40 for 25kg.

Is Maris Otter a brand, a different malting process or a subspecies of barley?

Did some one say those magic two words? Is it almost bulk buy time again? :ph34r:

My pale malt is running a tad low too! And I like the sound of Golden Promise. Yet to try it.

A sack of each please. :D

Hopper.

Latest posts

Back