What are your ways to split up your brew day/s?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. Day before - set up rig, fill hlt, millgrain. Put hlt on timer so it is at mash in temp when you get home.
2. Brewday- brew batch and no chill.
3. Day after- clean up

Out of interest, how much time do you spend on 1. 2. and 3.? Is this for 23 litres?
Thanks

Out of interest, how much time do you spend on 1. 2. and 3.? Is this for 23 litres?
Thanks
That was advice on how to split a brewday when brewing at night after work. when i had single batch systems i did this a few times, can't remember the times breakdown.
With my current 3v herms i punch out between 100 and 140L a batch. I start by filling the HLT around 6am of a Saturday or Sunday. I am done by 2pm with full cubes and cleaned the brew rig. I also mow and do other stuff during the day. Because i have 5-7 cubes each batch, i dont have brew as often.
I pithed 2 cubes yesterday, so i am down to 7 full 25L cubes. I am now at the stage where i brew for the fun of it, not because i need to fill a cube.
15031899797901475408682.jpg

I have a 20L pot, so boiling 13litres is not a problem.

It still takes 90 minutes.

I would rather start at at 1 in the morning then finish at that time .

That was advice on how to split a brewday when brewing at night after work. when i had single batch systems i did this a few times, can't remember the times breakdown.
With my current 3v herms i punch out between 100 and 140L a batch. I start by filling the HLT around 6am of a Saturday or Sunday. I am done by 2pm with full cubes and cleaned the brew rig. I also mow and do other stuff during the day. Because i have 5-7 cubes each batch, i dont have brew as often.
I pithed 2 cubes yesterday, so i am down to 7 full 25L cubes. I am now at the stage where i brew for the fun of it, not because i need to fill a cube.View attachment 107772

Seems simple enough and works well for you.
Isn't it great when your ahead and you are not committed to "have to brew". I have 66 litres kegged, chilled, carbed and ready to drink brews and 89 litres of kegged, ready to be chilled and carbed. ( is this being a pig? If it is then good)

I have a 20L pot, so boiling 13litres is not a problem.

It still takes 90 minutes.

I think the point is that you shouldn't need to stand over it for those 90 minutes. Once the boil has broken through there is little risk of boil over. You can walk away and return when you need to add hops, finings, etc.

I don't stand over it as such, but leaving an open vessel boiling for 90 minutes without supervision with other people in the house is not safe in my opinion.

Going to the shed for several hours is simply not possible in current circumstance.

I pithed 2 cubes yesterday, so i am down to 7 full 25L cubes. I am now at the stage where i brew for the fun of it, not because i need to fill a cube.View attachment 107772

Do you end up with 100 - 140 litres of pretty much the same brew, with the exception of cube hops and dry hops?

Do you end up with 100 - 140 litres of pretty much the same brew, with the exception of cube hops and dry hops?
Yes. Although with diferent yeasts , dry hop etc, i can end up with several different beers. There is also the option of steeping specialty malts(and boiling off) to add to the fermenter when pitching a cube. For example , steeping some crystal and raost barley to turn an english bitter cube into a dark ale or stout.

I don't stand over it as such, but leaving an open vessel boiling for 90 minutes without supervision with other people in the house is not safe in my opinion.

Going to the shed for several hours is simply not possible in current circumstance.
Your house, your rules but something is off if you need to watch a 20 L boiling pot for 90 mins and doing multiple 10 min boils is not a good solution (also sounds messy and just as hands on and time consuming as your 90).

manticle I stated already that I don't hover over it, it's just one part of my brewday - given current circumstance I'd like to improve.
Either contribute something useful to the thread or bugger off.

The useful bit I was trying to get across to you was that 10 min boils are a really bad idea, despite what you may read elsewhere. I'm not familiar with the limitations of your equipment or household so can only make suggestions based on the info you make available.

Keep your aggro chips off your shoulder, chief. I was not having a go and have no need nor desire to.

no chief, just a lowly Indian.

Why didn't you just communicate your reasoning? Or ask what gear I had before the critique? It just comes across very patronising.

Why don't you give a bit more information about your setup and process?

Not intending to be patronising - just couldn't work out your methods or reasoning and you've been more defensive than you have been forthcoming.

I'd be surprised if patronising is how I'm generally viewed but I've been wrong before.

You may not intend to be, but you often are.

My set-up (thanks for asking) is simple - an insulated mash vessel (10L SS double wall with a bazooka tube) from which the wort (13L or so) is transferred by gravity to a boil pot (20L). From there to a fermenter

I make small batches to suit 9.5L kegs.

I blame my mum.

Doing a 90 min boil is a great idea (my default is 90). Don't mess with with that bit - find a different shortcut.

Completely understand. At the end of the day we all need to invest time for this hobby. There will be areas that can be made more efficient, though taking short cuts has its consequences.

As Manticle mentioned, reducing the boil time is not a good idea.

Latest posts

Back