What are you listening to

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hehe, if that was my choice it would be HTB all the way!

hey you're into prog stuff right? you might dig this:

album out today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPuAuKqiYck

Am I into prog stuff?

Is the pope Jewish?

But yes, yes I am. I'm always looking for new prog since I haven't heard too much decent new stuff aa of late... a mate gave me a list of new bands to try out but most of them were just a heavier/more djenty version of periphery (who I do somewhat enjoy listening to)

I shall have to definitely give them a listen when I get some Internet reception in these sticks. I'm excited for the new protest album though. Much more so than karnivool and dream theatre. Not the biggest fan from what I've heard from either of them.

DT are one of the worst bands on earth, they're really good at playing scales but their music sucks.

Karnivool were a good band back in the day but I lost interest when they got too proggy.

I presume you're familiar with Textures? Very talented band.

I just managed to have a little listen to that helm song and was quite impressed. Reminded me of a mix of red seas fire and karnivool.I might have to listen a little more once I get back home.

their first two albums are more rock/croon and less heavy. They got a new drummer & bassist for this album so I guess that's what pushed them into prog territory.

I will admit, I really don't enjoy listening to james labrie sing, and many of dt's songs just rurn into musical wankery, but their scenes from a memory album will always remain one of my all time favorites. The story and music behind it really took my love of concept albums to a new level.

Sound awake I thought was a little disappointing, but it was always going to be difficult to follow up with an album as good as themata.

Textures I haven't heard of though. I shall definitely have to look into them when I get home also.

RE Textures - I'd start with 'silhouettes' & 'drawing circles'. They're pretty flawless albums imo.

Their first album had a different singer & was more along the lines of thrash/djent/experimental (djent wasn't a term in 2003 - so in a sense they were well ahead of the curve)

The most recent album Dualism has another vocalist again (from the band Cilice - awesome, also check their album out) - but he tends to overdo it a bit. The music is great though.

Glorious. Some new bands to get my ears frothing to.. I shall update you with my reviews.

As for beer reviews (and being slightly off topic), the mildura brewery pale ale i just had at the airport was a little disappointing. Can't wait to get home and into some homebrew once again.

due to all the talk above I've been listening to Textures all afternoon.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWj5ZKsqzQs[/media]

Can you prog heads list any prog bands which are more fuzzy (I am not a fan of the clean "I am soooo dynamic" stuff)?

or some post metal which is a bit progressive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXFGmjJtPi0

Bizier said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7DFsBcVMDA

I never knew who did this song. I am slightly ashamed to be listening to a totally awesome breaks compilation by Kurtis Blow.
Ah! 7/4 is my all-time favourite time-signature.

One thing I regret (now) is that I passed-up on seeing Rush live when they were touring the UK in the late-'70's/early 80's, 'cos I didn't like Geddy Lee's vocals. Now I feel quite stupid in retrospect.....

edit: BUGGER!!!!

@ Liam

I dig it, but I guess I want somewhere between that and Elder, I am digging warmer tones at the moment, especially because it is winter, I should buy a valve amp to warm myself by.

I guess I want music following 21st Century Schitzoid Man to today without any foofy soft stuff or the downtempo stuff.

I can't believe nobody's piped up about Ayreon amongst all this prog.

Oh, hang on, it's just me who's obsessed.

Biz: I can't think of anything off the top of my head, but that would be something I'd listen to if it existed. KK with a fat sludgey guitar tone.

WB: I'm not really that into prog, I just dabble.

EDIT: I just had a listen to the first Ayreon track that came up on youtube and I think I'm allergic to that flavour of prog. (got about 1 minute in)

Latest posts

Back