What are you brewing in QLD

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 2 x fridge only fridges in the garage doing fermentation and bottle storage duties, set at 18 degree's. I figure if I'm going to take care during fermentation then I'm going to store my beer properly as well. I really haven't noticed any difference in power bills.

Our household fridge started to run constantly (needs a new thermistor but it was time for a change anyway so bought a new one) and I just wheeled it outside. It's a 521 Litre F & P. It's on it's way to the tip when I can borrow a ute but before then you or anyone can have it for nothing, just got to pick it up from Benowa on the Gold Coast. Put it on a timer or an STC and it would be fine as a fermentation or storage fridge.

Dread82 said:
I adjusted the thermostat on my second fridge saved me buying a second controller works fine, ill see if I can find the page again
Thank you! Very interesting, wouldn't have thought about doing it that way.

I picked up a 420 lt all fridge of Ebay for $50 then a cheap chinese controller. Gets 2 fermenters in it no problem. Wife dosent complain if i keep up the cider to her!! Brewing a double batch of a Stella clone atm as our house beer but also have a wheat beer in a cool area under the stairs.

+1 for Saison. Just got my first ready and it's a great beer, brewed at between 26-30 degrees, fluctuating with local temps. Gout sick of the wet towel and ice blocks making the spare room musty. Add all the extra stuffing around - not worth it.
My cousin just picked up a foam lined cupboard which has worked well for the beer that stills out to him. Get a bedside, line with foil and foam, drill a drain point with a drip tray, works wonders with sine frozen bottles if ya can't get hold off a fridge. Foam from grocers boxes. Surprisingly effective from reports...

pickaxe

All Saisons and Farmhouse Ales for me.. frees up the fermenting fridge for Lagers and IPA's :)

Tasting said Saison, 3 weeks in, still a bit green but what a great beer. Pils, Vienna, sine wheat, Motueka hopped, danstar belle yeast, spicy, peppery, but awesome, best hot weather trade off. Great beer. One of the best beers I've made to be honest. Got a classic Styrian goldings hopped one in the fermenter ready to bottle. Of you like Euro styling, this is the bomb. Saison is a great style with no extra worry or work. Everyone's advice that way has been spot on. Christmas is going ti be a massive Saison session!

pickaxe

dammag said:
I have 2 x fridge only fridges in the garage doing fermentation and bottle storage duties, set at 18 degree's. I figure if I'm going to take care during fermentation then I'm going to store my beer properly as well. I really haven't noticed any difference in power bills.

Our household fridge started to run constantly (needs a new thermistor but it was time for a change anyway so bought a new one) and I just wheeled it outside. It's a 521 Litre F & P. It's on it's way to the tip when I can borrow a ute but before then you or anyone can have it for nothing, just got to pick it up from Benowa on the Gold Coast. Put it on a timer or an STC and it would be fine as a fermentation or storage fridge.
thanks for the great offer- as luck would have it i have managed to source an old fridge from work - samll enough for ,me to have set up under the house out of the wifes way - i'm gunna run with a timer set up to start off with then look further into the thermo kit you guys have recommended.

looking forard to great brews and a happy wife

Latest posts

Back