What are you Brewing 2016?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
manticle said:
Right up until I'm about to squeeze the cube with my knees. They come off at that moment.
Ok I can't offer you any further advice, you seem to have things well under control. Carry on.

First two brews of 2016 happening tomorrow and the first for a long time as well. The joys of kids! Got it all set up tonight and strike water on a timer to come on early tomorrow morning. Both will be no chilled.

Recipe: Rusty Amber Ale
Brewer: Russell
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Amber Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 28.96 l
Post Boil Volume: 24.96 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l
Bottling Volume: 21.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 26.0 EBC
Estimated IBU: 30.6 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 73.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
4.50 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) ( Grain 1 81.1 %
0.55 kg Crystal, Dark (Simpsons) (157.6 EBC) Grain 2 9.9 %
0.50 kg Amber Malt (Joe White) (45.3 EBC) Grain 3 9.0 %
14.00 g Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 21.8 IBUs
10.00 g Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 5 5.7 IBUs
10.00 g Galaxy [14.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 6 3.1 IBUs
1.0 pkg Nottingham (Danstar #-) [23.66 ml] Yeast 7 -

And....

Recipe: Brown Ale
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Brown Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 31.04 l
Post Boil Volume: 27.04 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 25.00 l
Bottling Volume: 23.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.052 SG
Estimated Color: 40.6 EBC
Estimated IBU: 29.7 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 72.8 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
4.34 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) ( Grain 1 73.4 %
0.87 kg Munich, Dark (Joe White) (29.6 EBC) Grain 2 14.7 %
0.23 kg Carafa II (Weyermann) (817.5 EBC) Grain 3 3.9 %
0.16 kg Crystal, Dark (Simpsons) (157.6 EBC) Grain 4 2.8 %
0.16 kg Crystal, Medium (Simpsons) (108.3 EBC) Grain 5 2.8 %
0.15 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3.9 EBC) Grain 6 2.6 %
16.00 g Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 24.8 IBUs
24.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 4.9 IBUs
1.0 pkg American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) [124 Yeast 9 -
50.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
25.00 g Amarillo [9.20 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
25.00 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs

The brown ale is a reduced version of the one we did for a case swap last year, but I haven't got any citra so have swapped that for centennial as I can't find what a citra substitute is and the Janets brown recipe uses centennial.

Edit...spelungs not good

Brewed a pale ale yesterday, based on the SNPA recipes. It was no chilled. I've been adding 0min hops to the cube but for this one i added at flame out, whirlpooled for 20min and then cubed.

SNPA
American Pale Ale

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 23.0
Total Grain (kg): 5.600
Total Hops (g): 115.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.058 (°P): 14.3
Final Gravity (FG): 1.015 (°P): 3.8
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.70 %
Colour (SRM): 10.5 (EBC): 20.7
Bitterness (IBU): 29.6 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 76
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
5.200 kg Pale Ale Malt (Fawcets Golden Promise (92.86%)
0.400 kg Crystal 60 (Simpsons Med Crystal)(7.14%)

Hop Bill
----------------
10.0 g Magnum Pellet (12.9% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.4 g/L)
15.0 g Perle Pellet (6.7% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)
30.0 g Cascade Pellet (6.8% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (1.3 g/L)
60.0 g Cascade Pellet (6.8% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (2.6 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------
4.0 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) @ 60 Minutes (Mash)
2.0 g Irish Moss @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
2.0 g Yeast Nutrient @ 10 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 65°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 18°C with Safale US-05

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Judanero said:
Absolutely, when repitching that's what I've done and it has always worked out well. Pour aggressive, hit with some 02 and it'll start like nothing else.

Ps- Additional trub and massive over pitch are the concerns with using the entire yeast cake.
I transferred the red X ale into the keg and went about preparing the yeast cake for the Black IPA. I swirled the yeast / remaining beer and then poured about just under half out the tap into a bucket. Got the no chilled wort and poured that into the fermenter onto the remaining yeast, lots of foam from the pouring, no pure O2 added.

I checked it after an hour and the surface was just wort, 3hrs later......Boom! Big this krausen formed and she is ripping through = massive over pitch which I'm happy with.

Im trying a warmer ferment temp at 22c. Usually I ferment at 18 but after reading Mitch steels IPA book, stone ferment all there beers at 22 using English ale 002/007 strain. They may be able to due to the fermenter shape, probably taller and thinner. I've also heard on podcast FourPure brewery do a 22c ferment temp too. Time will tell.

Thanks for the advice AHB.

Pratty1 said:
I transferred the red X ale into the keg and went about preparing the yeast cake for the Black IPA. I swirled the yeast / remaining beer and then poured about just under half out the tap into a bucket. Got the no chilled wort and poured that into the fermenter onto the remaining yeast, lots of foam from the pouring, no pure O2 added.

I checked it after an hour and the surface was just wort, 3hrs later......Boom! Big this krausen formed and she is ripping through = massive over pitch which I'm happy with.

Im trying a warmer ferment temp at 22c. Usually I ferment at 18 but after reading Mitch steels IPA book, stone ferment all there beers at 22 using English ale 002/007 strain. They may be able to due to the fermenter shape, probably taller and thinner. I've also heard on podcast FourPure brewery do a 22c ferment temp too. Time will tell.

Thanks for the advice AHB.
I did the same thing on Thursday, kegged a golden ale and poured all bar ~300ml of 1217 slurry out.

Poured a cube of Red IPA (80% Red X, 15% Wheat,5% Caramunich II) onto it, no additional 02 and had a lovely krausen in < 5hrs.

This is the second time I've reused 1217 and it is firming up to be one of my favourite yeasts for the American styler beers.

I've only ever fermented 002 higher in dark, malty beers- esters went well with the darker malts so keen to hear how it plays with a bit of hoppyness as well.

Finally having a go at this attempt at a Roger's Ale clone, though it's going to be cubed so it'll be a while before it gets to drinking:

Ramjet Ale
22.5 L
OG=1.040
FG=1.013 (75% atten.)
IBU=24.1
EBC=21.3
alc=3.8%

1.155kg (28.9%) MO (TFFM)
1.15kg (28.8%) Vienna (Wey)
0.8kg (20%) Wheat (Wey)
0.4kg (10%) Munich 2 (Wey)
0.2kg (5%) CaraPils (Wey)
0.2kg (5%) Med Crystal (Simpsons)
0.025kg (0.6%) Midnight Wheat (Briess)
0.07kg (1.8%) Acidulated (Wye)

10g (0.3g/L) EKG (4.5%) @ FWH
3g (0.4g/L) EKG (4.5%) @ 20mins
15g (0.6g/L) Cascade (7.8%) @ 20mins
10g (0.4g/L) Galaxy (13.4%) @ 20mins
20g (0.8g/L) of Cascade & 15g of Galaxy dry hop

(** 20mins additions are to be cube-hopped - should capture more of the hops elements)

Mash: 70/72/78 for 30/20/2

1.3g CaSO4 + 2.5g CaCl + 1.3g MgSO4 into Mash
1.1g CaSO4 + 2.1g CaCl + 1.1g MgSO4 +0.3g Citric acid into Sparge
0.5g CaSO4 + 2.5g CaCl + 1.3g MgSO4 into Boil

yeast = US05, American Ale, 1272, etc.
... though i have a batch of WLP-028 Scottish Ale ready to go at the moment...

Looks the goods 'babs.

Really looking to try out some lower alc brews, and you and Nath certainly seem to think this one is worth doing. I'll see if I can fit it in between the IPA's and DIPA's. :)

Cheers Mo'
It mightn't be the absolute best but it's the best APA version of a Mild I've come across. I should def have a go at a more typical malty UK mild at some point though.

Btw, apparently there's TIPAs now, also. Or so Yob claims.

Put down an English bitter today.

3.5kg Maris Otter
0.35kg Heritage Crystal
0.2kg Crystal 20L
0.2kg Terrified Wheat
20g Northdown @ 60 min
20g Challenger @ 15 min
20g Challenger @ 5 min
Dry English Ale yeast.

31.7 IBU
19 EBC
4.4% ABV

Got high hopes for this one. Mixed heritage and light crystal as I had some heritage left which I wanted to use up. I think it might add some nice toffee flavours to it.

.... Aaaaaanndd then the brew day cockup occurs [emoji34][emoji34][emoji34]

Massive boil over. Occurred in the 3mins I stepped away from the kettle as it was slowly coming to the boil.
So much for 10g of EKG as FWH. Green crud everywhere.

Anyone got as guess how that'll affect ibu's?
All lost other than the 10-15min equivalent ibu's from the time it took to start boiling? Or should most have gone into solution by then?
Either way, I chucked my remaining ~5g into the boil to compensate.
Just gotta adjust my 20mins additions now.

Goddammit!!!!!! [emoji30]

Thanks pratty.
I'm normally able to watch it and prevent the boil over. To be honest, I'd left the lid partially on to help speed up hitting the boil. If I didn't do that it probably would've been totally fine.
Also, I'm under the impression that fern-cap stuff means you can't re-use the yeast. And I'm I big one for reusing yeast (read: I'm a tight arse) and I just received a new heated stir-plate (from Digital Homebrew -awesome!!) and I'm desperately keen to do a truckload of starters with reused yeast.

Though I admit that fern-cap stuff is very nifty - saved many a boil over on the last 1 or 2 Vic Case Swap brews

Hey techno,

Can you direct me to some link or literature that talks about the ferm cap and effects on reusing yeast, Id be interested to know more about that.

Cheers

Making an IPA this weekend....

Dear San Diego IPA

OG 1059
FG 1010
ABV 6.3%
IBU 60
EBC 9

65% Pilsner
22% Golden Promise
8% Rye
5% Carapils

Mashed at 65c for 60mins adding gypsum with mash and boil.

90min boil

Warrior @90mins = 37ibu
Cascade / Chinook @ 10m = 23ibu
Simcoe whirlpooled - 2g/L @ <85c for 10mins

Fermented with US05 @ 18c for 4-5days

Dry hopped for 3-4days:

2g/L Columbus
1g/L Simcoe
1g/L Cascade

Pratty1 have you used that grain bill before? Is it your own concoction? From the looks of it you would get a refreshing flavor from that beer

Coodgee said:
Pratty1 have you used that grain bill before? Is it your own concoction? From the looks of it you would get a refreshing flavor from that beer
Hi,

Its a variation of some other beers I like - Wolf Amongst Weeds DIPA from Golden Road ( 2row, Golden Promise and Rye ) 2 Row Hill 56 Ale from Russian River ( 2row, MO, 5% Carared )

A similar grain bill for my Rye Pale Ale - which has 80% Pilsner, 10% Wheat, 6% Rye and 4% Carapils using 007 - its crystal clear and crisp.

My recent IPA's have been 100% MO, then 100% Golden Promise and a 50/50 pils/ MO....Im out of MO at the moment and thought Id use a decent % of GP with the pils however the hops will be very pronounced while the malt takes a back seat.

Its taken a couple of years to stop using munich and crystal malt in IPAs :super:

Pratty1 said:
Hey techno,

Can you direct me to some link or literature that talks about the ferm cap and effects on reusing yeast, Id be interested to know more about that.

Cheers
No.
No, I can't.

I was sure when we used it in the 2014 Vic Case Swap brew it was mentioned (by Yob, I thought) that we wouldn't be able to reuse the yeast afterwards. I've just searched through the whole thread. No mention of it. Extra googling not only didn't find any other reference to this, but one or 2 mentions of reusing the yeast being totally fine.
I blame Yob for this misunderstanding [emoji6]
Glad you queried it, Pratty. Not just so I know I can go on and use it happily, but so mistruths aren't being spread on the forum!
Cheers [emoji106]

PS: if Yob is out there, could he clarify I'm either imagining this, or if we used a different anti-foam agent? I believe it was a fermentation anti-foam agent we used at the case swap rather than a boil anti foam agent, so I'm guessing it wasn't FermcapS.

TLDR:
So to clarify: if you use FermcapS, it's fine to reuse your yeast.

Pratty1 said:
Hi,

Its a variation of some other beers I like - Wolf Amongst Weeds DIPA from Golden Road ( 2row, Golden Promise and Rye ) 2 Row Hill 56 Ale from Russian River ( 2row, MO, 5% Carared )

A similar grain bill for my Rye Pale Ale - which has 80% Pilsner, 10% Wheat, 6% Rye and 4% Carapils using 007 - its crystal clear and crisp.

My recent IPA's have been 100% MO, then 100% Golden Promise and a 50/50 pils/ MO....Im out of MO at the moment and thought Id use a decent % of GP with the pils however the hops will be very pronounced while the malt takes a back seat.

Its taken a couple of years to stop using munich and crystal malt in IPAs :super:
I haven't brewed a great deal of IPAs but I've always thought of them as having a "strong malty backbone" i.e. substantial crystal malts. but the trend seems to be towards really pale IPAs. I've been wondering about how to achieve this. I might have to try that Rye Pale Ale bill of yours. My RyePA is on the total other end of the spectrum but it came out really, really nice. It was totally my own concoction and I think I'm onto a winner that I can call my own:

53% MO
17% Munich II
13% Rye
4% crystal
4% caramel Rye.

40g/40g/40g Chinook, Simcoe, Mosaic @ 5
50g/50g/50g Chinook, Simcoe, Mosaic dry hop.

It has a really pungent red papaya aroma and low bitterness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back