What A F%$#@$#ed Up Brew Day, But

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mantis

Official keg inhaler
Reaction score
Decided to do another APA (my very fav) and do a double, 40L brew.
Have done two doubles in the last two weeks using a 20L bucket for my batch sparge
Lifting the bag and squeezing it then dropping in the bucket with the sparge water. Have to do this in two goes as the bucket aint big enough.
So, I think why not dump the bag in my 47L esky and sparge in there. More room eh.
Well all went well till I poured the sparge water in the the bag opened and grain ended up in the water :angry:
Well after fishing most of the grain out with a kitchen seive, I think hmmm how am I gonna get the wort from here into the kettle.
Put the kettle down on the ground, which was easy since it only had 20L of first wort in there. I strung the bag up and tried tipping the esky into the pot. The lid came off the esky and it must have looked bloody comical as I danced aroung with the esky, trying not to spill any and the lid bouncing around on the floor.
I ended up with a mess everywhere. Well it really smells like a brewery now.

But, I ended up with 41L in the pot, after the boil I added 6-7L of more boiling water to bring it up to about 44L, whirlpooled and into the cubes.
I got 77% eff which is way above the 63-68 I have been getting, so I must have done something right
But the bag has to go and Beerbelly falsie will be ordered tommorow

Goodbye bag, hello mash tun :p

:beer:

Higher efficiency! Must have been the dancing. The indians do a rain dance, guys from the Wimmera do a wort dance. :lol: :lol:

At least you have a good size esky ready to convert.

At the end of the day it's all about the results. :D

Cheers

Awesome effort there.......

I have to agree, the mucking about with bucket sparging and bags is making me think towards asking for a beerbelly FB for xmas...

Latest posts

Back