Whaddyareckon?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
re read the advice on making a starter for the yeast as lager yeasts are best pitched large and healthy.

re read the advice on making a starter for the yeast as lager yeasts are best pitched large and healthy.
Lager Brewer,

Just found my old kits recipes.

I did the cascade golden harvest 3 times.. It was a fav with my drinking buddies at the time.

The best one was done using s23 , the kit, 500g of LDM and 500g dex. 12g Cascade hops in teabag in fermenter. 23L

Thats 4kg of LDM, 4kg dex and 96g Cascade hop pellets in your 8 kits up to 184L.

The temp was 18 :eek: and it was fine...go for it.

If you can keep it colder that would be much better.

Also if you not in a hurry, make up one batch, then keg, bottle it ......then use the entire yeast cake in the 150L and 7 kits left.

Let us know how it goes.

PB :)

Edit: maths

Brilliant post PB
Shame theres not a whole lot more of those on here

Love the point that it was still the best even though it was brewed at 18deg LOL
Goes to show that somethings just dont matter when it comes to beer :)

Tom

Lager Brewer,

Just found my old kits recipes.

I did the cascade golden harvest 3 times.. It was a fav with my drinking buddies at the time.

The best one was done using s23 , the kit, 500g of LDM and 500g dex. 12g Cascade hops in teabag in fermenter. 23L

Thats 4kg of LDM, 4kg dex and 96g Cascade hop pellets in your 8 kits up to 184L.

The temp was 18 :eek: and it was fine...go for it.

If you can keep it colder that would be much better.

Also if you not in a hurry, make up one batch, then keg, bottle it ......then use the entire yeast cake in the 150L and 7 kits left.

Let us know how it goes.

PB :)

Edit: maths

That all looks sound.. I would keep the temp lower at 12deg but the working range of the yeast is up to 18deg...

Cheers.

7) I usually avoid forums because despite my best efforts at being friendly there is always a small element which tries to turn it into a schoolyard which hunt. It is nice to know that I am at least worthy of your derision, o master (bators?). So maybe I will bugger off and mind my own business, and not bother the Gods with my insignificance again.

People will always flame you if you propose an odd ball scheme without giving any background. In your case you didn't tell anyone you've done 200L brews before or that you picked up a heap of extract cans for cheap. Naturally everyone assumed you are some sort of crazy first timer wanting to brew a huge batch of high alcohol beer without having ever brewed before

If you always get shut down in forums you must be asking the wrong questions

Don't be too sensitive. You did ask for feedback.

I agree with petesbrew that you should play around with a smaller batch first. It isn't enough yeast (probably about enough for 80 - 100 litres of ale).

If you're desperate to get 200 Litres of lager going while the weather's cooler then consider buying some more yeast and some more flavour hops.

Or brew as you want but why ask what people think?

There are some god's-gift-to-brewing types about

Thanks Bum :D

. Dickheads should be ignored.

I hate being ignored :(

Seriously have a crack at it. make a big starter up, use a combo of dex and malt instead of the sugar. Let us know how it goes and show some picks.

Oh yeah like manticle has said drop in some more hops, Cluster for aroma would go pretty good. Also are you boiling up those POR hops??

Cheers Brad

That's a bloody great idea. Good one.

See, LDFH, pretty much every question asked will get someone coming up with an excellent idea to either streamline your process or make your beer better or even save you money. This answer is a bit of each.

L_Bomb, are you suggesting the internet if full of nice, happy people and the only people who find aggression are those who deserve it?

no one is question your motive to make a large batch. its just a lot of beer, time and $ to screw up. which is possible because your new at brewing.

just the ingredients. you'be be better off looking at some of the recipes (on the threads not the Database) and seeing if they sounds appealing to you and if they match your ingredients.

hang around the forum a bit more. dont get down b/c people didnt like your idea. after all you did ask for advice. and its not so much that we didnt like the idea, its that we dont want to see you fail and quit homebrewing.

If your dead set on making up 200L with casc kits, then you really do need to sub in some malt and hops. all that sugar will be awful. let us know if thats the direction you want to take and im sure one of us can plug the figures into beersmith/promash and work out a better recipe with those ingredients.

......its that we dont want to see you fail and quit homebrewing.

Quit homebrewing? Never!!

Up until now I suppose I have been a cheap ******* when it comes to brewing, and maybe after 20 years of brewing straight kits I might have a go at LDM & dextrose instead of sugar as per some of the more helpful suggestions ie Pocketbeer. Working on economies of scale this might adds another 15 or 20 cents per 750ml bottle. Big deal.

Making a 23 ltr batch and then transferring the yeast to a larger batch was also quite good.

It wouldn't be the first time I reused a yeast cake- I did three or four successive 200 ltr brews by throwing another 8 cans and 9 kg of sugar into the fermenter. Starts up quicker too.

We can all get stuck in a rut, but we stay there because it is comfortable. Changing direction, or climbing out of the rut, is hard. Appropriate music here: Pink Floyd: The Thin Ice...

Thanks to those who offer encouragment, who of course are in the vast majority, and to the rest...

Your mothers wear army boots.

(I can think of better insults, so don't push it)

...Your mothers wear army boots...
You been sleeping with her too? Geez it's hard to keep up! <_< :lol:

Certainly PB had the best solution.

I guess it's just me lagers but I just don't see the use in brewing 200lt of the same beer. What I like most about home brewing is the variety it offers but hey I'm not you right?

Anyway I hope it turn out for you and you really should try some of the suggestions I am sure you won't regret it!

Cheers and Beers

Chappo

Up until now I suppose I have been a cheap ******* when it comes to brewing, and maybe after 20 years of brewing straight kits I might have a go at LDM & dextrose instead of sugar as per some of the more helpful suggestions ie Pocketbeer. Working on economies of scale this might adds another 15 or 20 cents per 750ml bottle. Big deal.

Making a 23 ltr batch and then transferring the yeast to a larger batch was also quite good.

It wouldn't be the first time I reused a yeast cake- I did three or four successive 200 ltr brews by throwing another 8 cans and 9 kg of sugar into the fermenter. Starts up quicker too.

We can all get stuck in a rut, but we stay there because it is comfortable. Changing direction, or climbing out of the rut, is hard. Appropriate music here: Pink Floyd: The Thin Ice...

Thanks to those who offer encouragment, who of course are in the vast majority, and to the rest...

A few had a laugh at your expense via some cables and e-space. Cop it on the chin. Homebrewers are in general, far more helpful and friendly than most other internet fraternities and I doubt much of what was said here was said with any malice.

You can brew good beer with economy - it just takes more effort.

Like people have said - it's your beer so do whatever you want. As soon as you ask others' opinions on it though, you're going to get several.

I reckon you got a fair few ideas about how to make your brew better from this thread.
I think the main one would be to get yourself a smaller fermenter and experiment by not using Sucrose and better quality ingredients.

From my experience, especially form them folks on this forum, including the ones with mothers that wear army boots, you'll be spending the extra cash to make better beer in 200L batches.

Personally, IMHO, if your using shit tins and sucrose, you're gonna make 200L of shit, twangy beer that really only you will like.

Go forth and brew!

BF

(...and for the nudge) My mother doesn't wear army boots, but she can tell when a shit beer is a shit beer. How about yours? :icon_cheers:

My mum goes commando from time to time im told.

I thinks thats the term for when they dont wear undies?

good luck with them crapcade kits, I stopped using them after i had to tip several hundred dollars of there kits and ingredients on the garden. (proved it to be a problem with their kits and several other brewers i know had the same problem.)

You been sleeping with her too? Geez it's hard to keep up! <_< :lol:

Certainly PB had the best solution.

I guess it's just me lagers but I just don't see the use in brewing 200lt of the same beer. What I like most about home brewing is the variety it offers but hey I'm not you right?

Anyway I hope it turn out for you and you really should try some of the suggestions I am sure you won't regret it!

Cheers and Beers

Chappo

I see the point for those who are time strapped and also those who drink large quantities

A few had a laugh at your expense via some cables and e-space. Cop it on the chin. Homebrewers are in general, far more helpful and friendly than most other internet fraternities and I doubt much of what was said here was said with any malice.

You can brew good beer with economy - it just takes more effort.

Like people have said - it's your beer so do whatever you want. As soon as you ask others' opinions on it though, you're going to get several.

Manticle is so right, the people on here are so patient and always willing to help... but they like to laugh to. Im still amazed at how Manticle dontated quite alot of money to charity but uses his webber as a burner. So it shows you what kind of people are here .

I see the point for those who are time strapped and also those who drink large quantities

Am I the only one who is guilty of entering a "free beer for a year" contest? Why didn't I win? I should have known it was rigged. Then I started to get marketing calls from India...

Latest posts

Back