Wet Milling?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't wet-mill because I do not know anything about except what I have read here but I condition my malt and have been doing it for years.

Number one of course is you need stainless steel mill rollers. Steel rollesr are okay in summertime but in winter they stay damp and will form surface rust.

Trick to wet conditioning is the amount of water and the time from wetting to milling. Worst case scenerio is over wetting the grain and leaving it too long, the water soaks into the grain (endosperm) and then when it goes through the mill it just squashes the grain. Completely useless. Too little water and too soon and it achieves nothing. Done right, you should be able to close your mill up a little (coupla thou) and end with with finely crushed grain and nearly whole husks. Great efficiency, fast lautering and if you do wheat beers you don't need many rice hulls and you won't get a stuck sparge.

How do they manage grain when they use unmalted barley and enzymes .

Look up a mechamasher. It's an auger injector that mixes grist with strike water as the grist comes out of the mill.

Back