Westvleteren 12 Spoils

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeremy

Reaction score
Hi All,

I was lucky enough to get sent to Belgium for 3.5 weeks in December for work, and managed to score myself these bad boys...

med_gallery_2728_1437_95978.jpg

Currently sitting in my fridge as I am worried they might spoil in the hot weather! Wondering whether I should drink them now or let them age...? I also figure to do them justice I should probably buy myself a chalice glass of some sort?

I also managed to score these while touring the Duvel brewery:

med_gallery_2728_1437_18074.jpg

Anyone had these before?

Duvel Triple Hop is a beer that they have released every year for the past 6 years. Regular Duvel has 2 hop varieties, and thus Triple Hop is a beer with a third variety added. Every year for the last 6 years they have trialed a different third variety and they released a box of all 6 with a special tasting guide, notebook and pencil inside. The idea was that people would taste all 6, rate them, and provide the ratings back to Duvel. The winner then got made a part of the permanent range (Amarillo I think it was). Can't wait to get stuck in!

Cheers!

Jeremy.

Why not drink one now, let the other age?

Have tried 2 of those triple hopped duvels. Enjoyable but hard to beat the original.

manticle said:
Why not drink one now, let the other age?

Have tried 2 of those triple hopped duvels. Enjoyable but hard to beat the original.
Yeah, I must admit I tried one at the brewery and I didn't like it as much as the original.

I had quite a few beers in Belgium that were supposedly the "hoppy" version of that brewerys mainstay, and they were never particularly hoppy. Still, will be interesting to see what they are like! Would do it better justice to line them up and taste them all at once, but I don't think that is really an option!!

jeremy said:
Hi All,

I was lucky enough to get sent to Belgium for 3.5 weeks in December for work, and managed to score myself these bad boys...

med_gallery_2728_1437_95978.jpg

Currently sitting in my fridge as I am worried they might spoil in the hot weather! Wondering whether I should drink them now or let them age...? I also figure to do them justice I should probably buy myself a chalice glass of some sort?

Cheers!

Jeremy.
Hi Jeremy,

I bought one back in 2012 and only drank it last year. The best beer I have ever had the pleasure of drinking. Let it age you will not be disappointed. It will give you a few years to find the right glass. ;)

I was in Belgium at New Years and grabbed another bottle, it will let that one age for about 5 years.

Enjoy!

Cheers,
Jase

I bought some direct from an online Belgian beer store.
They were either bad when they left, or something went seriously wrong in transit.

Anyway, whatever was in those bottles I wouldn't give > 70% to on a beer rating site.
(and dark beers are my absolute favourite).

So, I'm voting for "drink one; keep one".

Back