Well Aged Coopers Sparlking

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O'Henry

Reaction score
I have a couple of long necks from the back of the cellar at work, dated best after Aug 06. What is a feasible time frame for this beer to stay drinkable? I cracked one a few months back and it was rough, to say the least. I know it is a best after date and will drink them anyway, am just curious as to what people think...

[quote name='O'Henry' post='551019' date='Nov 11 2009, 09:00 AM']I have a couple of long necks from the back of the cellar at work, dated best after Aug 06. What is a feasible time frame for this beer to stay drinkable? I cracked one a few months back and it was rough, to say the least. I know it is a best after date and will drink them anyway, am just curious as to what people think...[/quote]

at MHB's RSA course the other week, I seem to remember someone saying that they had some 3yo cooper's sparkling and it was great! probably depends how it was kept though.

The Edinbourough Hotel sell "aged" sparkling and pale. I'm not sure how long they age it for, or the conditions.
I've got a mate who raves about it though. I tried some of his and prefer the fresh drink, but it was just a swig.

Cheers,
Al

As per a previous thread I made in the "Beer/Pub/Brewery Reviews" forum, the Coopers Alehouse (Earl of Aberdeen) will have "Aged" CSA on hand pump soon - I'm going back on Friday to check it out... as well as feed my face.

On a hand pump eh? sound cool, might have to drop down there once it's on.

As per a previous thread I made in the "Beer/Pub/Brewery Reviews" forum, the Coopers Alehouse (Earl of Aberdeen) will have "Aged" CSA on hand pump soon - I'm going back on Friday to check it out... as well as feed my face.

That sounds very interesting :icon_drool2: ... might head down there myself this weekend.

Sounds like a plan, buy a six pack and put in a small styrofoam esky to keep the temperature constant. Then, seal with duct tape and put a 'Don't Open until Xmas 2012' sticker on it. Kind of a time capsule of beer I guess.

Hmmm...I reckon this sounds like a good idea!

- boingk

I'd rather age Vintage if I were to do that...

True, Adamt, very true indeed. Hell, why not do both? And a pack of some stout as well, while we're at it :D

- boingk

Slightly off topic but I drank some severely mishandled Hahn Super Dry the other day and it tasted a lot better than usual. I think it had been cold, brought to room temperature, cooled again, probably sat in the sun for a while, etc etc.

By the time I drank it it had a sort of nougat flavour to it.

I had some aged sparkling from a pub ages ago in far western Sydney before it was popular, and it was fantastic. The beer was brilliantly clear and obviously was the least popular one. The same place sold pale at the bottlo for about $2 more than the sparkling...

Sounds like a plan, buy a six pack and put in a small styrofoam esky to keep the temperature constant. Then, seal with duct tape and put a 'Don't Open until Xmas 2012' sticker on it. Kind of a time capsule of beer I guess.

Hmmm...I reckon this sounds like a good idea!

- boingk
Probably not the best idea to leave it in styrofoam.
From experience with old beers stored in styrofoam, the caps tend to rust WAY quicker. Best off just finding a good dark, cool spot under the house (if you have one).

Oh, and this sounds like a great idea. I have quite a number of Vintages in the cellar, but Sparkling, and Extra Stout, have huge potential!

I like the idea of cellaring some of these. I have just started with some Murray's best extra Porter. Might add some Coopers vintage and Coopers Red too.

How do you think the home made version of the sparkling ale at around 6% would cellar for 2 or 3 years? Is that too long? If you were to do that how would you approach carbonation? I am thinking you would only add very little priming sugars?

Fear_n_Loath

Latest posts

Back