Weldless Valve Kits

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreadhead

Reaction score
Hi, looking at installing a weldless bulkhead and ball valve to a Aluminium Stockpot, and just have a couple of questions:

1)In regards to a pickup tube for a brewing kettle, is it possible to just use a short piece of Silicone tubing attached to a connecting elbow, and to whirlpool to avoid sediment in the fermenter?

2)How high above the base of the kettle should a hole bill drilled to attach a ball valve? pot is 40L, aiming for 20L batches.

3)Where would be the cheapest place around Sydney Metro to buy all these fittings?

Thanks Guys

1) I don't see any reason why you couldn't do that, except it will go all floppy and move around once heated... Wont be the most stable of pick-up tubes. I would look for something solid, or opt for no pickup tube (as you're not going to use a screen anyway, and you can just position the tap correctly)

2) Best way to determine this is to put say 4-5l of water in the bottom (estimated trub after a boil) and position the tap to suit

3) Can't help with this one.

Cheers,

Chris.

1 - I wouldnt use silicone hose for a pickup tube inside a kettle, silicon hose collapse's under heat at the best of times and in a boiling hot rolling boil it would be useless i think. Much better off with a Stainless steel pickup tube. Go to Beerbelly's site they have them on there for not to much $$

2 - How high you want the tap is up to you but remember your trying to drain as much wort as possible without getting trub/hop crap in the wort so i would think you would install the tap as close to the bottom as possible.

3 - Cant help dont live in sydney but again i know sponsers up the top sell pre made bulk heads to fit.

Hi, looking at installing a weldless bulkhead and ball valve to a Aluminium Stockpot, and just have a couple of questions:

1)In regards to a pickup tube for a brewing kettle, is it possible to just use a short piece of Silicone tubing attached to a connecting elbow, and to whirlpool to avoid sediment in the fermenter?

2)How high above the base of the kettle should a hole bill drilled to attach a ball valve? pot is 40L, aiming for 20L batches.

3)Where would be the cheapest place around Sydney Metro to buy all these fittings?

Thanks Guys

1 --- The silicon tube probably would not fit into a compression fitting? Although I stand to be corrected here. How much is 200mm of 12mm copper tube?

2 --- As low as you can manage to get a good seal without sitting on the radius at the bottom of the pot.

3 --- who knows? :D I am a long way from Sydney.

Just a hint --- Do not try to use brass all-thread to create a weldless bulkhead fitting in an aluminium pot. You will get lots of corrosion

TP :beer:

Just a hint --- Do not try to use brass all-thread to create a weldless bulkhead fitting in an aluminium pot. You will get lots of corrosion

good tip, didnt know that.

Lots of people fall into the closest to the bottom trap for mounting the valve. The positioning of the valve does not have to be as low as possible. Draining wort using a pickup tube and a length of hose on the outlet valve works due to the difference in hydrostatic pressure (as in a siphon). It's only necessary that the end of the draining hose be lower than the surface of the wort in the kettle.

Screwy

www.beerbelly.com.au

sells a little kit especially for this. have a look as they do ship!

Lots of people fall into the closest to the bottom trap for mounting the valve. The positioning of the valve does not have to be as low as possible. Draining wort using a pickup tube and a length of hose on the outlet valve works due to the difference in hydrostatic pressure (as in a siphon). It's only necessary that the end of the draining hose be lower than the surface of the wort in the kettle.

Screwy

:slaps forehead:

forgot he said he was going for a pickup tube.

Back