Weeds In The Backyard

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenJohnson

Reaction score
Hey chaps,

So I was looking out over my back yard, and thinking "what should I do with all this Yellow dock?". I've got heaps of the stuff. Now ive read many times about its medicinal properties, and ive eaten it before (very bitter).
I remember reading about it in a Bush tucker book, which said they used it for beer back in the colonial days. Has anyone else heard of its use in brewing? I doubt it would produce anything amazing but it could be an interesting experiment.

Any ideas guys?

Yeh I though as much, i guess it wouldnt hurt so much if you put a small amount in for minor flavouring. But stupid idea on a larger scale, seeing as hops are so much more effective then those old medieval style bittering agents.

On the subject of growing hops, does Brisbane even a good climate for that? ive never looked into it before, but how good would it be to have a crop of hops in the backyard :icon_cheers:

Yeh I though as much, i guess it wouldnt hurt so much if you put a small amount in for minor flavouring. But stupid idea on a larger scale, seeing as hops are so much more effective then those old medieval style bittering agents.

On the subject of growing hops, does Brisbane even a good climate for that? ive never looked into it before, but how good would it be to have a crop of hops in the backyard :icon_cheers:

They grow well in Brissy, there are a few members who have nice crops.

The only downside is they wont flower as much as those grown further south like Vic or Tassy.

But you will get a decent crop

Latest posts

Back