Wedding Beers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...c=22237&hl=
Got married one week ago at a winery. Wanted to brew 300+ litres for it but they wouldnt let me serve it.
The future Mrs Ausdb finally decided to make an honest man of me a few months ago and the big day is in October at a local winery restaurant, fingers crossed at this stage I will be serving some of my brews (if bottled) but apart from that there will be some offerings of LC's products, Feral white and some mainstream stuff all bottled as they don't have any draught beer. A few years ago we had my future mother inlaws 60th there and at that stage they only had a winery producers license so there was no problem with having some of my beer as they couldnt sell beer at that stage. The "Dandaragan White" made with raw wheat off the future father inlaws farm went down well with his farmer mates, plus I left a selection of beers for the owner after the event. The only problem will be CP filling a heap of stubbies before the big day :eek:

Hey Guys,

Got married a couple of months ago and sort of tried to do the food/beer matching thing. We had our reception down at the Argyle in the Rocks in Sydney (owned by the same people that own the Lowenbrau Keller & the Barvaian Bier cafe) and as such I was able to get them to do a deal with the Lowenbrau.

The end result was that I was able to serve the following three fantastic biers all in their signature glasses:

• Franziskaner Weissbier
  • Spaten Munchner Hell
  • Hofbrau Dunkel

It went down really well and even the swill drinkers present were impressed.

It cost a bit but hey, I am only planning on doing it once.

Cheers
OSF

Just slightly off topic for a mo if I may, but has anyone else noticed at weddings when blokes get a bit of grog into them they seem compelled to try and root the bridesmaids? :huh:
It`s rather odd, and I must say I`ve been witness to it on several occasions.

stagga.
me and a mate went to a wedding 2 weeks ago and scored a brides maid each. first time ive done that. mind you both of the bridesmaids were my mates and my respective wives :lol:.

back on topic. my wedding beer was standard reception megaswill ('premium' for bridal table + spirits, standard for everyone else.. I wasnt was on a long break from homebrewing at the time but still should have known better. I recon it depends on whether its a summer or winter wedding. Certainly the Mountain goat or 3 ravens should get a go. LCPA or LCBA for a summer wedding would be a treat.

Just bumping this one to the top again, but the question has changed a bit to: "If it was your wedding and you could have some of your own beer on show, then what beers would you brew?"

My big day is coming up all to soon but that's cool I don't do lagers so won't have to worry about rushing a lager :p . The place we are having our reception at has a decent range of bottled beer from local micros and has also said they will let me serve some of my own brews along with theirs. Kegs and draft beer would be great for me but if it means bottling a heap of stubbies for being able to have mine on the table then I will do it. Taking in to account that most of the people attending are not craft beer appreciating types (yest they are family not friends) I have been thinking of beers that will not offend the mainstream palate too much but not be too boring for the people who do appreciate craft brewed beers.

My thoughts so far are:
  • Kolsch/Blonde ale thing
    I don't do lagers so this is as close as I will ever get to a lager and have worked on variations on the theme of this for a while are pretty confident with this style, the last one I even managed to summon up the courage to use some NS and Riwaka (yes I know they are pass hops now :D ) and with the beerheads and non-beerheads it went down well at my engagement party​
  • Wheat beer: Wit or Hefewizen
    Probably a wit as my father in law has a farm and I can use wheat off the farm to destroy my marga mill for that authentic touch of craftmanship
  • English/American IPA or a TTLLPA style beer??
    The reception centre has LCPA on the list so I don't see any need to duplicate it, but for the beer heads I am thinking a gutsy IPA with,my favourite english ale yeast (WY1469) is the way to go or do I play it safe with a Timothy Taylors style special bitter.​
  • Altbier, just someting different to throw into the mix?
Please feel free to offer any suggestions
Cheers and Beers

For non-beer lovers, the less offensive styles are probably the best. To me English/America IPA's are a little out there, more of an aquired taste, altbier might work, fairly inoffensive while a true wit or heffeweizen can pretty much go either way.
LCPA seems to have gathered quite a following, even amongst people generally drinking non-descript Aussie lages, so an American Pale Ale could go over well. Otherwise I'd be going the Aussie Pale Ale route but hop it up to make it more palatable to yourself. I guess it's going to depend a lot on whether you want to give people something to drink or something to broaden their minds with.
Seems that alot more people are open to trying different beers though. Weekends down the farm generally involve a bunch of different beers and a tasting session with my Brother (appreciates good Homebrew but will happily drink Carlton Cold or TEDs) and my father (who usually drinks Emu draft), with beers such as Smoked Weizens and Aventius Icebocks all being consumed and rated as better than just drinkable.

Just bumping this one to the top again, but the question has changed a bit to: "If it was your wedding and you could have some of your own beer on show, then what beers would you brew?"

My big day is coming up all to soon but that's cool I don't do lagers so won't have to worry about rushing a lager :p . The place we are having our reception at has a decent range of bottled beer from local micros and has also said they will let me serve some of my own brews along with theirs. Kegs and draft beer would be great for me but if it means bottling a heap of stubbies for being able to have mine on the table then I will do it. Taking in to account that most of the people attending are not craft beer appreciating types (yest they are family not friends) I have been thinking of beers that will not offend the mainstream palate too much but not be too boring for the people who do appreciate craft brewed beers.

My thoughts so far are:
  • Kolsch/Blonde ale thing
    I don't do lagers so this is as close as I will ever get to a lager and have worked on variations on the theme of this for a while are pretty confident with this style, the last one I even managed to summon up the courage to use some NS and Riwaka (yes I know they are pass hops now :D ) and with the beerheads and non-beerheads it went down well at my engagement party​
  • Wheat beer: Wit or Hefewizen
    Probably a wit as my father in law has a farm and I can use wheat off the farm to destroy my marga mill for that authentic touch of craftmanship
  • English/American IPA or a TTLLPA style beer??
    The reception centre has LCPA on the list so I don't see any need to duplicate it, but for the beer heads I am thinking a gutsy IPA with,my favourite english ale yeast (WY1469) is the way to go or do I play it safe with a Timothy Taylors style special bitter.​
  • Altbier, just someting different to throw into the mix?
Please feel free to offer any suggestions
Cheers and Beers

From your options I would follow the kiwi-hopped blonde ale style for your main beer. It's a dead easy type of beer to make, is always well-received and you have only one chance to make it right so is good for the peace of mind. Make a second keg of IPA for those guests who are worthy of it.

I usually turn up to these things and find they've streched to "high end" beers like crownies. Sorry guys but I can't drink that stuff - I haven't forgiven CUB yet for destroying my taste for beer for a couple of decades - so I just become a wino for the night.

But occasionally you find someone with enough taste to maybe supply some Coopers sparkling or similar - it's still mainstream enough for the average joe to understand. That's a good night.

I don't really expect good beers; haven't been to any brewers weddings.

I reckon its hard to go wrong with something similiar to JSGA. Almost everyone I know who drinks beer (and even a few that don't) really enjoy the flavour of the beer...which is a rarity... and its not too full on, so its a great session beer.
If you through that in the mix with a lager/pils, a German-style weizenbier (Belgian-style don't seem as approachable), and a dark ale/lager of some description, I reckon you'd have almost all bases covered...beerwise anyway.
Of course one more beer of a more potent/flavoursome nature for the 'assertive' among us wouldn't hurt... :D

My 2 bobs worth -

a 4.5% Klsch @ 20 IBU

and

a 5.5% Altbier @ 40 IBU

After all, 3 million Rhinelanders can't be wrong!

tdh

Cheers for the comments guys,

Beer 1 definately will be the koslch/blonde ale most past brews have been around the 20 IBU mark but with lots of out of style aroma hops but hey I like it that way
Beer 2 more likely a wit than hefe as most people over here have at least heard of hoegaarden or feral white and tasted them before.
Beer 3 still not sure, maybe time to finally give the altbier a go as I don't mind a darker beer and a higher hopped beer would round out the mix. Any suggestions on how to brew a good one? The main thing I have read is use Spalt for hops but there seems to be a lot of different schools of thought on grain bills, pils plus specialty or just lots of munich I'm confused :huh:

I don't see the point of doing an APA or Aussie Apa considering there is LCPA on offer anyway and possibly bright ale as well which covers the JSGA category anyway.

Cheers for the comments guys,

Beer 1 definately will be the koslch/blonde ale most past brews have been around the 20 IBU mark but with lots of out of style aroma hops but hey I like it that way
Beer 2 more likely a wit than hefe as most people over here have at least heard of hoegaarden or feral white and tasted them before.
Beer 3 still not sure, maybe time to finally give the altbier a go as I don't mind a darker beer and a higher hopped beer would round out the mix. Any suggestions on how to brew a good one? The main thing I have read is use Spalt for hops but there seems to be a lot of different schools of thought on grain bills, pils plus specialty or just lots of munich I'm confused :huh:

I don't see the point of doing an APA or Aussie Apa considering there is LCPA on offer anyway and possibly bright ale as well which covers the JSGA category anyway.

Here's my ALT beer and it isn't to shabby at all.

The only thing i will be doing different next time is using Wyeast 1338

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.40 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 70.3 %
1.30 kg Pale Malt, Galaxy (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC) Grain 20.8 %
0.50 kg Melanoidin (Weyermann) (59.1 EBC) Grain 8.0 %
0.06 kg Carafa Special III (Weyermann) (1400.0 EBC) Grain 1.0 %
90.00 gm Spalter [3.30%] (60 min) Hops 27.8 IBU
30.00 gm Spalter [6.60%] (30 min) Hops 14.2 IBU
1.00 tsp Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 90.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 90.0 min) Misc
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Mashed at 65c for 90 minutes

Rook

I reckon an IPA would go down a treat. Took a corny full to a Byron Bay booze up a few weeks ago and all the fellas and chicks alike enjoyed it (most of which had never heard of an IPA). Got a few hit ups the next week for which commercial beers one could buy as they were after that taste again.

Talking of brewing your own for big events, for my 21st (3 years ago when I was only doing basic K+K still) I brewed 13 different brews, each 23L into PET bottles. Had the will power not to try any untill the night before when me and the best mate had half a PET bottle each of each one and wrote a review on the back of a big for sale sign so others could pick and choose.

Night went down a treat, plenty of smiling girls and beaming fellas, and there were plenty of people quite interested in brewing after that. :p

Now every time I have a decent event to hold I start preparing the beer list a few months in advance. Best way to show off the homebrewing hobby, keep costs down, and later reap shout backs when out on the town. :D

Best of luck with the wedding.

Dr Smurto. JSGA.

+1 - I served this beer up in a keg at a mates party on the w/e to a heap of non home brewers. This beer went down a treat, everyone loved it. I even charged 50c a pot to recoup my costs (ended up with nearly $40 in the tin). :D Keg only lasted around an hour and a half

Koelsch and Alt are good choices, they both use the same yeast, but they both benefit from a half decent lagering period.
You may have to go over to the Dark Side and use a filter if time is a consideration.

(mental picture of ausdb in top hat and tails, wedding car waiting, squirting Alt all over the place as he filters at the last minute ) :D

How about a beer in the style of the best celebratory beer ever made...Ayinger Celebrator...

Damn, I wish I were back in Munich...

Add another one to Dr Smurto JSGA. It's a real hit with brewers and non brewers alike!

Koelsch and Alt are good choices, they both use the same yeast, but they both benefit from a half decent lagering period.
You may have to go over to the Dark Side and use a filter if time is a consideration.

(mental picture of ausdb in top hat and tails, wedding car waiting, squirting Alt all over the place as he filters at the last minute ) :D
Umm yeah I have used wy1007 and K97 before and they are buggers for not flocculating but when they do the result is worth it. As for the second comment apart from the top hat and tails you have probably nailed it :eek:

When I got married I brewed 10 batches (kegged) for the occasion. To give away, obviously. You evidently know that you should brew to the crowd's tastes, which usually means pale coloured. I brewed 3 kegs of kolsch, and I think that I had about 1/2 keg left. This was the most popular style. I brewed 2 kegs of hefeweizen with the wyeast 3068 yeast. Those 2 kegs were completely drained too. The remaining 5 kegs were a mixture of a bunch of different styles. I had a porter, an ESB, pale ale, alt and a bock. These 5 weren't very popular, but I wasn't surprised by that. One thing that the guests found helpful were the descriptions/summaries of each beer I posted beside the bar.

Beside kolsch and hefeweizen I think that a Scottish 70/ or 80/ would also be popular. Maybe one batch of something hoppy for you and anyone else that doesn't mind hops. A good fruit beer for the ladies would probably be drained quickly. I did a mango kolsch a couple of years back and it was very popular with the wife & other female friends of ours.

Good luck with the wedding.

Latest posts

Back