Wedding Beers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I proposed to my better half a couple of weeks ago (labour day long weekend actually) and we've been looking into places for the reception.

We are looking at a country style house/cottage with gardens etc, but most of the places we've looked at do not allow any alcohol besides what is supplied.

How are people arranging kegs of homebrew to be served at the wedding as I would be very keen to bring half a dozen kegs or so and just use the bar staff provided to serve it... Have people had to pay extra to organise it or just provide it and have the bar staff serve it or ahhhh...?

T'would be glorious having some HB on tap for the big day.

Going to my mates' wedding next year at Murray's Brewery.

I've got a feeling the beers supplied will be slightly better than the usual wedding fare.

I've just had my first wedding anniversary.

I served Hunter Brewing Co's Kolsch and Pale Ale.

Was worth every penny.

I actually went to the hunter with my partner where I proposed to her, had a wine tour the day after, so had to swing by the hunter brewery on the way back home after all the vino.

Those beers were real delicious, and after talking to the lady behind the counter about brewing, was given a tasting of most of the beers on tap, whilst people lined up next to me paying for their tastes.

Granted, I ended up spending a bit of hard earned there, but worth every pretty penny.

Keith, Jess and everyone up at HBC are great people. Knowledgeable, hospitable, and make great beers too

Keith, Jess and everyone up at HBC are great people. Knowledgeable, hospitable, and make great beers too
+1 to that. Great beer, great hosts. Generous and helpful.

I had a 6.3% coffee stout there last time.

Not sure if I'll brew for my wedding, as it will be a small event; but if there's beer, it'll be something worthy.

I proposed to my better half a couple of weeks ago (labour day long weekend actually) and we've been looking into places for the reception.

We are looking at a country style house/cottage with gardens etc, but most of the places we've looked at do not allow any alcohol besides what is supplied.

How are people arranging kegs of homebrew to be served at the wedding as I would be very keen to bring half a dozen kegs or so and just use the bar staff provided to serve it... Have people had to pay extra to organise it or just provide it and have the bar staff serve it or ahhhh...?

T'would be glorious having some HB on tap for the big day.

Hey Sponge,
I brewed for my wedding. I had it here, in the clubrooms. There is no liquor license, so self catering and BYO.
Hire was only $600 - about 1/10th of all the options we looked at...
Had the ceremony on the field, invitees in the stand. Ceremony over, quick photo in the gardens, then party began.
Think outside the square - somewhere not known for wedding receptions ($$$$)

24916474.jpg

Hey Sponge,
I brewed for my wedding. I had it here, in the clubrooms. There is no liquor license, so self catering and BYO.
Hire was only $600 - about 1/10th of all the options we looked at...
Had the ceremony on the field, invitees in the stand. Ceremony over, quick photo in the gardens, then party began.
Think outside the square - somewhere not known for wedding receptions ($$)

To be honest, we've been looking at a few places around the southern highlands area to host it due to the gardens and whatnot a lot of them have, along with the nice old-school house areas, both which my partner have her heart set on. Either way, its looking like southern highlands/robertson have a fair few places which satisfy what she's after.

I'm not worried where it happens, but would love to have some sort of capability to bring some kegs along..

Thanks for the suggestion though, and I will definitely be suggesting that to her this 'eve.

PS. What is the name of that place you had yours at Mckenry?

That looks like Don Bradman Oval at Bowral.

PS. What is the name of that place you had yours at Mckenry?

That looks like Don Bradman Oval at Bowral.

Bradman Oval it is. Nice view from the clubrooms to the north, over the field, up to Mt. Gibralter. Clubroom is two levels. I had my bar downstairs, and hired a few wait staff to bring jugs around and serve food. Upstairs has a balcony and inside there is lots of memorabilia if you're into that kind of stuff. Was a good venue. Quiet, but also residential, so we had to finish up at 1130pm. If you're interested to do it this way, pm me and I'll give you the names of a few coffee shop type places that might be able to cater the food for you. Affiliation - I know them all persoanlly as I've lived here all my life !!
Regards,
mckenry

My upcoming wedding in march looks like hahn light, LCPA and becks. Yeah not happy about the light but i guess it keeps the drivers happy. Only cost an extra $5/head to get creatures and becks compared to the shitty swill they offered (hahn range).

Doing a little bit of grave digging again but after some opinions from the fine members of AHB.

The wedding mentioned in some posts above has all been organised and whatnot and are now getting to the finer stages of planning. The owners of the place we hired said they are happy to accommodate a keg fridge and have one of their staff serving during the night. The wedding is still a year away but with me on the lookout for extra taps and a chesty I have started thinking of some ideas for the beers..

Now I plan on acquiring a 390L chesty (with mods for a collar etc) to hopefully fit around 9-10 kegs in and just after some opinions as to what is a decent range to serve for people.

I am looking at reusing the yeast to help save on costs but am looking for some variety for the guests (around 120 people) whilst still not providing 10% barley wines and 100IBU beers which may not be drank by people besides myself.

1272:
American amber ale (~4-4.5%)
American pale ale (~5.5%)
NZ pale ale (~4.5-5%)
Ginger beer (since the mrs and quite a few friends and family enjoy it when I brew it for them - 4.5%)

1469/1098/etc
Mild (3.5%)
ESB (5%)
Some sort of porter/stout (5.5%)

3638/3068
Fruit weizen (made one for a party a few months back for the ladies and was the first keg finished - 4.5%)
Dunkelweizen (5%)

Lager:
Euro or aussie lager (4.5-5% - Although I might even be able to get away with using the 1272 fermented cool for a faux lager. More just something for the swill drinkers)

If anyone has any recommendations/experience for something similar, I'd be happy to take all suggestions on board.

Cheers

Now my missus is loving IPA, this isn't an issue for me.

But a few years ago I did a faux-Pils with Notto, and Citra at 30 minutes and 10 minutes (mainly 10 minutes IIRC) for 25IBU and about 4.4%. It was a very good pantie-remover. Sort of like 'beer for cruiser drinkers', and it worked.

As I said, missus has experienced lupulin threshold shift after the birth of our 4th - mainly my fault. Now finds a bitter aftertaste to be 'balanced'.

If you're looking for cheapie euro-esque lager, I will recommend Sylva (formerly Southern Saaz) as a hop. Very good soft bittering spicy notes and excellent in a Euro-lager.

Latest posts

Back