Wedding Beer (no commercial hate) - Please Help!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josh1990

Reaction score
Ok guys, getting married in just under 2 weeks. Need to make a decision on the drinks. It's being held at a small winery, so wines will be supplied. I had people give top 3 beers on the wedding invitations so I could to pick 3 beers to serve at the bar. Number 1 is Great Northern, Number 2 is XXXX Gold. Now I need a number 3, and have equal votes for Carlton Mid, Carlton Draught, Carlton Cold and Carlton Dry. Which one do I choose? Please no hate on the beers people voted for, not everyone is a connoisseur and not a single person listed a craft brew. Cheers, Josh

If it's coming from your family and friends...get new friends with taste.
If it's coming from the in laws side...cancel the wedding. It's a sad sign of what you're marrying into.

Those four Carlton offerings all pretty much taste exactly the same as each other anyway so you could go with any of them really. Draught is probably the pick of them though.

What do you want to drink? It is your wedding not theirs. You have listened to them and have Great Northern and XXXX Golds, then get something you enjoy drinking.

My wedding is in 3 weeks and I have:
  • sorachi ace saison x 2 kegs
  • citra pale ale x 2 kegs
  • kolsch x 2 kegs
  • American pale ale
  • Galaxy smash
  • Ginger beer

Take the opportunity to educate some people, put something crafty on :p

At mine I put on the swill for the ones who wanted it and had a few cases of good stuff for those of us who knew better.

I would have taken in my own gear but for all the other stuffing about leading up was simpler to just get a few cases of something and have that on offer.

The way I see it, you have 2 mega swill options including mid strength for the masses. Third option should be your choice of a craft beer. May convert some who think "It's free. I'll give it a go", and if not, at least there will be something for you to enjoy.

Edit: As they said above whilst I slowly typed.

Rogers is a pretty decent mid-strength beer. Won't be too challenging for the XXXX / Carlton crowd, but has some flavour to it.

Stone and Wood Pacific Pale Ale is something a little more adventurous, but also not very challenging for the non-craft beer drinker.

I second the stone & wood. I see it more and more in pubs now and have even heard a few people commenting on how good it is - my prediction is it will be the next big thing for the uber cool ;)

Can't believe Great Northern got voted no.1... I bought a carton of that once (shameful I know) it was a struggle to finish....

As others have said, it's your wedding, look after your own interests too.....

If you want to save your money go the Carlton Draught, I went to an engagement party and had one can of Carlton Draught from about 8.00 pm till 1.00 am and still never finished it.

I'll try to actually answer the question asked.

Carlton Mid - you've already got XXXX gold so not much point having another mid strength.

Carlton Draught - seems a good choice, a full strength beer, you want everyone good and merry at your wedding

Carlton Cold - this one definitely tastes a bit different. I really dislike this beer but it adds a bit of variety.

and Carlton Dry. - This beer has quite a flash label and would suit a wedding. seems slightly more fancy. I would go with this one.

I think you have asked the wrong crowd here mate.

You have asked us to pick between 4 carlton products. You might as well ask which testicle we would prefer to remove.

Best suggestions are those that have said go with something decent- its your day.

You got 2 mids already, Carlton dry seems to be popular these days . Or you could go another route and get a euro lager, becks, peroni and so on.

crowmanz said:
What do you want to drink? It is your wedding not theirs. You have listened to them and have Great Northern and XXXX Golds, then get something you enjoy drinking.

My wedding is in 3 weeks and I have:
  • sorachi ace saison x 2 kegs
  • citra pale ale x 2 kegs
  • kolsch x 2 kegs
  • American pale ale
  • Galaxy smash
  • Ginger beer
Can I come ??

xxxxgold
coopers pale ale
i'll let you pick the third, but not that stuff that tastes like arse

Latest posts