Perfect to flat beer please help!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFergz

Reaction score
Hey guys just need some desperate advice,

So I have 2 kegs I've been sipping at that I carbonated at 12psi over 2 weeks at 3deg Celsius stable, was pouring a solid pot but just a little slow (beer line was 3m long with 5mm ID) decided to neaten up the kegerator and chop the lines to 2.6m just to speed up the pour which as far as length, still provided enough resistance to maintain balance according to my go to resource. Gave everything a good clean with sodium percarbonate and then rinsed the lot, lubed and reassembled the lot and connected my lines, ran some beer through the lot to fill the lines and gave it and hour for the temp to regulate back to normal on everything and then poured a mint looking schooner but only ended in heavy disappointment with a flat beer from both kegs.

Someone please help what have I done wrong!! [emoji27][emoji27]

That's a head scratcher. I'd perhaps suspect a leak. Maybe get a squirty bottle with water/detergent in it to inspect. It is a cause of flat beer that would be nice to rule out.

I'll check but I don't think I have any leaks I pulled a glass before I started tampering with it and it was spot on, I'm wondering if I haven't allowed enough time to chill afterwards or maybe something not done properly when cleaning... Dunno pretty gutted though lol

How long were the kegs out of the fridge while the cleaning was going on and how full are they? Wouldn't have thought they'd warm up enough to cause the beer to go flat though.

Personally I would have just sanitised whatever you chopped the lines with, chopped the lines then hooked them back up again without going through the whole cleaning regime. It probably wasn't necessary really.

I'm feeling that way now, one keg nearly done other one pretty much full. Legs prob spent half hour 40mins at most only took so long because i put a aluminium backing plate to the fridge door to anchor my shanks a little tighter

Give it 24 hours or so to reach equilibrium and see how it goes. If it is still flat, give it another 2psi and see how that goes. Hopefully it's not going to be too fast. I think my beer lines are about 2.6m - 2.8m and they are good to about 20psi. At 22psi it gets a bit too fast for smaller glasses, but still OK for pints or a Duvel glass. I'm using the Keg King 5mm ID line that came with my KK series 4.

I find the first pour from a freshly cleaned line is on the flat side.
The first 100ml I find gets mixed a bit with the rinse water, and going through warm lines knows out some of the co2. Pour the first ~100ml in a different glass and you should get a good beer from then on.

What did you lube and with what?

The super duper supposedly impervious to water grease I was using on my taps made my beer look as flat a tack.

Latest posts

Back