WB-06 at low temps

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kalbarluke

Reaction score
I am currently making a beer with WB-06. It was a fairly old pack so I made a starter and pitched it into 20L.

Anyway, even though I have a temp controlled chest freezer, because it has been so cold here (-2 ish) the temp in the freezer gets as low as 11 degrees. This morning I put a sleeping bag around the fermenter to try and insulate it a bit.

There is a lot of information about WB-06 at high temps and certain temps to get desired flavours (banana, clove, bubblegum, etc) but not much on lower temps. I know it's not supposed to get below 15 deg. My question is: what sort of flavours am I likely to get or will the low temps just make my yeasties sluggish and therefore take longer to brew out?

G'day kalbarluke,

How did that beer turn out? I've fermented WB06 at warm temps and I didn't get any of the flavours you mentioned, (banana, clove, bubblegum, etc.) So I was wondering if you got them at the cooler temps.

I currently have a ferment going with a cultured Weihenstephaner hefe bottle yeast. That's a nice yeast, fruitier than the description of Wy3068 in my opinion, and a good one for banana, clove and bubblegum type flavours and nice and spicey. I haven't used wy3068 but from the description I think its a different yeast.

It turned out okay, but I decided to do a bit of an experiment. When it was fermented I put 800g of frozen raspberries into the fermenter and crash chilled for a week. The result was a bright red, tart, fruity beer that was surprisingly good. Will try it again with a kilo or so of cherries or strawberries in the future.

Back