Ways To Increase Malt Aromas/flavour

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Firstly i will agree with other comments above........ these off topic arguments are killing this site. PM's are a great form of comunication if you have a problem. Im no angel but am really making an effort to keep things on topic. Its just spoiling it for others.

Mmmmm sounds like a good theory but has some major holes in it from my thinking.

Just interested in entering a discussion on this because i believe its very interesting re. malt character of a beer. I run up around the 85% eff mark and think my beers are very malty, even with low mash temps.

The part i see as a hole is................where does the flavour come from.......... what are these compounds if there not associated with the sugars washed from the mash?

Its a quote feasable....... but........... i dont know.......... it just has holes if you know what i mean. Id like to hear from someone "in the know" about if these compounds exist.

Great stuff........ this is what i like about AHB!

cheers

Agree with everything Tony has said and that's exactly why I asked!

I'm a bit skeptical, but sometimes theory doesn't convert well to practice with brewing :D . Everything is worth a crack to see for yourself. If nothing else, this thread has provided some great food for thought and further experimentation on my part, for one. I don't think anything about brewing needs to be set in stone.

Julez.

Yeah i know what you mean mate.

As for my cooler sparge coment before. I dont think it has any technical reasont for adding maltiness to the brew........ but i do think it reduces tannin extracion and lends to a smoother beer. THats what i find anyway and a smoother beer will usualy come across as maltier to me.

cheers

As for my cooler sparge coment before. I dont think it has any technical reasont for adding maltiness to the brew........ but i do think it reduces tannin extracion and lends to a smoother beer. THats what i find anyway and a smoother beer will usualy come across as maltier to me.

cheers

Makes sense, for sure Tony.

Actually, talking of sparging, I think the whole "reduced efficiency" idea may make a bit more sense from a slightly different angle. I would imagine that the more the grain bed is disturbed and put through further process, rinsing and thinning out, the less rounded out or full-bodied the flavour will be. Compare mashing grain to making a cup of tea. Without a doubt, the smoothest, most full-bodied flavour comes when you let the tea steep, undisturbed. If you do lots of jiggling, or try to eke out more tea with more water, the flavour will be negatively effected. I am sure there must be an optimal mash time and liquor to grain ratio for flavour purposes in brewing and I wouldn't be at all surprised if a shorter sparge would also help in this area.

Julez

I brewed today, Docs Yardglass Session Lite with a little Carared, not sure if its gonna end up to lite as I ended of with a OG of 1044 :unsure: instead of 1038.... Anyhow, I had been batch sparging in 2 lots but went back to a single sparge today as my Mash Tun can handle the Volume... See how this brew turns out, maybe the double sparge is affecting things aswell????

Just rinsed the main sugar goodness instead of trying to get every little bit out... Still ended up with 82-85% efficiency.... :D

:icon_cheers: CB

Great info though guys.... :super:

cheers

Wish I'd said that!!!!!!!!!!!! That's the simplest explanation and is what I find also, less mash disturbance, low mash temp and cooler sparge temp. OG and yeast choice are then important so as not to finish it to low for good maltyness and mouthfeel.

Well said Tony.

Screwy

Latest posts

Back