Ways To Increase Malt Aromas/flavour

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is clearly added as an aside and referred to as a rant. He made the point you mention clearly then added the rest as an edit afterwards. I think he did mean to bag people who brew differently to the way he does because this is what he does.

It is clearly added as an aside and referred to as a rant. He made the point you mention clearly then added the rest as an edit afterwards. I think he did mean to bag people who brew differently to the way he does because this is what he does.

Bum, you're :icon_offtopic: again. I also like to add eighteen ingredients to my beers because I want it to taste like EVERYTHING - but some really nice beer has some malt and some hops. I'm finding that nice beer doesn't always have twelve hop additions and six crystal malts. Less is sometimes more, especially with posting frequency when you only have a bone to pick rather than something substantial to contribute.

Ok, so far I have put together this list of tips to help with Malt Aroma/Flavour... :super:
  • Acidulated Malt
  • Aromatic Malt
  • Caraamber
  • Caraaroma
  • Carabohemian
  • Carahell
  • Caramunich's
  • Carared
  • Melanoidan
  • Munich Malts
  • Vienna Malt
  • Fresh Cracked Malt
  • Cooler Sparge
  • Calcium Chloride in Mash
  • Gypsum In Mash
  • Yeast Choice
  • Complexity of Grain Bill
  • Reduce Efficiency
So these seem to be some tips so far in helping with the small problem, I hope this will help others aswell...

:beer: CB

Ok, so far I have put together this list of tips to help with Malt Aroma/Flavour... :super:
  • Acidulated Malt
  • Aromatic Malt
  • Caraamber
  • Caraaroma
  • Carabohemian
  • Carahell
  • Caramunich's
  • Carared
  • Melanoidan
  • Munich Malts
  • Vienna Malt
  • Fresh Cracked Malt
  • Cooler Sparge
  • Gypsum In Mash
  • Yeast Choice
  • Reduce Efficiency
So these seem to be some tips so far in helping with the small problem, I hope this will help others aswell...

I don't get the reduced efficiency and cooler sparge options - can anyone clarify how this improves malt complexity/aroma? Not that I doubt it, but would like to understand why!

:icon_cheers:

Bum, you're :icon_offtopic: again. I also like to add eighteen ingredients to my beers because I want it to taste like EVERYTHING - but some really nice beer has some malt and some hops. I'm finding that nice beer doesn't always have twelve hop additions and six crystal malts. Less is sometimes more, especially with posting frequency when you only have a bone to pick rather than something substantial to contribute.

You know what else is nice? Irony. Irony is really nice. That was one of the nicest posts I've ever read.

Without even knowing CB's recipes you go on to point out that the reason he isn't getting the malt character the judges would like to see is that his hop additions were not only inappropriate but excessive - and you somehow come to the conclusion that it is me being the cock.

Bum, Nick, take your egos to PMs please, this kind of crap is ruining AHB.

I am confused. Both our posts relate to the matter at hand. Yours is the only personal one. What is your point again?

I don't get the reduced efficiency and cooler sparge options - can anyone clarify how this improves malt complexity/aroma? Not that I doubt it, but would like to understand why!

Just going from Post #2 from Tony and Post #21 from AndrewQld(champion Qld Brewer)

Bum, Nick, take your egos to PMs please, this kind of crap is ruining AHB.
Thanks BD,

Guys, I would hopefully really like to make this an informative Topic for others to benefit and not a Catfight between others... ;)

Complex Hop and Grain Bills aside, just ways to increase Malt Aroma/Flavour...

None of the Recipes had Complex Grain/Hop bills, obviously they were just out of style and/or not enough of a specific Malt/s in the Recipe......

:icon_cheers: CB

I am confused. Both our posts relate to the matter at hand. Yours is the only personal one. What is your point again?

Yeah you're right mate, I bet all your 1761 posts since febuary have contributed so much to this site.

When brewing a wheat, one often leaves out late hop additions to let the wheat shine through.

Try this approach with barley-only beers ... it works. Or completely ignore it, but try not to get uptight about it.

Love and kisses to all those with their panties up their cracks. :lol:

Just going from Post #2 from Tony and Post #21 from AndrewQld(champion Qld Brewer)

Thanks BD,

Guys, I would hopefully really like to make this an informative Topic for others to benefit and not a Catfight between others... ;)

Complex Hop and Grain Bills aside, just ways to increase Malt Aroma/Flavour...

None of the Recipes had Complex Grain/Hop bills, obviously they were just out of style and/or not enough of a specific Malt/s in the Recipe......

:icon_cheers: CB

You are welcome mate, I am sick of seeing so many threads like this dissintergrate into pissing contests.

cheers

Browndog

This is a really interesting thread.

I've found the last couple of brews I have done have been lacking a certain 'maltiness'.

I'll take the recommendations into consideration for my next brew day.

Don't see that the cooler sparge would do much, unless there is an astringency issue. But as for the reduction in efficiency.....TB made some good points in relation to this in a post he did about 6 (?) months ago. It went roughly along the lines of.....

Effficiency is related to the total amount of sugars extracted from the grain, and is not related to flavour, per se. It could be considered that the flavour component of the extracted compounds is more closely related to the weight of grain per volume of runnings, rather than a function of total sugars, as some sugars are neutral flavoured. So, for two beers of the same grist composition, that have the same OG and volume, but differ in the efficiency, the lower efficiency beer will require more grain (to achieve the same OG, for the same volume). So the grain weight to volume is higher than for the equivilent beer with a lower efficiency.......as it has more grain (for the same volume and OG), it could be theorised that it would therefore have a higher amount of compounds directly relating to flavour than it's higher efficiency counterpart.

That's the theory of it, anyway. Just a postulation, but one that (to me at least) has some logic to it, and from my own results and experiences, I would tend to agree with.....I'm not firmly commited, because I don't believe there's enough hard data to prove or disprove the hypothesis. But I'm inclined to agree that it's quite likely.

• Acidulated Malt
  • Aromatic Malt
  • Caraamber
  • Caraaroma
  • Carabohemian
  • Carahell
  • Caramunich's
  • Carared
  • Melanoidan
  • Munich Malts
  • Vienna Malt
  • Fresh Cracked Malt
  • Cooler Sparge
  • Gypsum In Mash
  • Yeast Choice
  • Reduce Efficiency

Makes it sounds easy, doesn't it!

Do crystal malts contain a higher percentage of trisacchrides? Does a higher temperature mash convert a higher percentage of these in harder water?

Does anyone actually know what "maltiness" is, after the yeasts have eated what they can?

What's left when the yeast have finished that gives a "malty" aroma? I thought the trisaccharides were fermentable, but the yeasties will east them last, and not fully.

How much does caramelization affect maltiness, when a lot of maltiness can be had from a low level of heat during malting?

Where does one find the answers to this stuff?

Where does one find the answers to this stuff?

In brewing literature: hard core stuff, not the efforts of 'homebrew gods'.

Try Brewing Science and Practice, or alternatively (and this would probably have a better answer to your particular question), Malting and Brewing Science. Have read the former, but (unfortunately) not the latter.

In brewing literature: hard core stuff, not the efforts of 'homebrew gods'.

Try Brewing Science and Practice, or alternatively (and this would probably have a better answer to your particular question), Malting and Brewing Science. Have read the former, but (unfortunately) not the latter.

Thanks butters. Will check it out. I have a feeling Maltriose is a culprit in this discussion.

EDIT: holy crap that book(s) is not cheap. Looking at $500 for the two volumes. Looks like I'm gonna remain ignorant.

5166TDFJEKL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

CB couldn't see any ref to sodium in your water report, maybe it is expressed as conductivity, anyway it was a detailed (as in regularly updated) report so may be worth sending your local authority an email and asking for the sodium level of your water.

Quite high in Gympie in comparison to my previous location, so difficult to produce malty beers, sodium tends to enhanse flavours as you would well know, thing is it I find it tends to enhanse hop bitterness and brightness and maltiness suffers.

Chers,

Screwy

Firstly i will agree with other comments above........ these off topic arguments are killing this site. PM's are a great form of comunication if you have a problem. Im no angel but am really making an effort to keep things on topic. Its just spoiling it for others.

It could be considered that the flavour component of the extracted compounds is more closely related to the weight of grain per volume of runnings, rather than a function of total sugars, as some sugars are neutral flavoured. So, for two beers of the same grist composition, that have the same OG and volume, but differ in the efficiency, the lower efficiency beer will require more grain (to achieve the same OG, for the same volume). So the grain weight to volume is higher than for the equivilent beer with a lower efficiency.......as it has more grain (for the same volume and OG), it could be theorised that it would therefore have a higher amount of compounds directly relating to flavour than it's higher efficiency counterpart.

That's the theory of it, anyway. Just a postulation, but one that (to me at least) has some logic to it, and from my own results and experiences, I would tend to agree with.....I'm not firmly commited, because I don't believe there's enough hard data to prove or disprove the hypothesis. But I'm inclined to agree that it's quite likely.

Mmmmm sounds like a good theory but has some major holes in it from my thinking.

Just interested in entering a discussion on this because i believe its very interesting re. malt character of a beer. I run up around the 85% eff mark and think my beers are very malty, even with low mash temps.

The part i see as a hole is................where does the flavour come from.......... what are these compounds if there not associated with the sugars washed from the mash?

Its a quote feasable....... but........... i dont know.......... it just has holes if you know what i mean. Id like to hear from someone "in the know" about if these compounds exist.

Great stuff........ this is what i like about AHB!

cheers

Firstly i will agree with other comments above........ these off topic arguments are killing this site. PM's are a great form of comunication if you have a problem. Im no angel but am really making an effort to keep things on topic. Its just spoiling it for others.

Mmmmm sounds like a good theory but has some major holes in it from my thinking.

Just interested in entering a discussion on this because i believe its very interesting re. malt character of a beer. I run up around the 85% eff mark and think my beers are very malty, even with low mash temps.

The part i see as a hole is................where does the flavour come from.......... what are these compounds if there not associated with the sugars washed from the mash?

Its a quote feasable....... but........... i dont know.......... it just has holes if you know what i mean. Id like to hear from someone "in the know" about if these compounds exist.

Great stuff........ this is what i like about AHB!

cheers

Which is the reasoning behind my reticence to embrace it fully, Tony......you know that I'm not often a fence sitter, I normally hold fairly firm to opinion, but this particular question is causing wood related irritation of me piles, if you know what i mean. :lol:

Theres just not enough info for me to swing one way or the other, atm.

Latest posts

Back