Waxing bottle tops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
batz if its the same stuff i use, it just peels off clean. ive had other stuff that stuck like shit then melted while i was cleaning the bottles and was stuck on everything

barls said:
batz if its the same stuff i use, it just peels off clean. ive had other stuff that stuck like shit then melted while i was cleaning the bottles and was stuck on everything
Thanks Barls, mine came from 'cheeselinks' so hope it the same stuff.

Batz

easy way to check how does it peel

barls said:
easy way to check how does it peel
Well ATM it doesn't look like it wants to peel at all, more of a scrape. I'm feeling just a little deflated :lol:

Did you buy the bottle wax? I wanted that but not $50.00 worth....mistake perhaps?

You could Try Here
Wax.jpg
Mark
Ah poop, the link isn't what I wanted, choose advanced search and choose Wax under Material
Wax 2.JPG

Every time I see this topic pop up, I think "yep, nothing worse than pubes in your mouth when you're drinking beer".

Nothing useful to add.

I used bees wax once to seal bottles and it was a ******* pain to remove, and apply too for that matter,

I don't really care about removing it, bottle opener on the lid and done. The bottles will go recycle, I have no need to reuse them.

Lets see how it goes....I've got a kilo of the stuff. :lol: :p

Batz

Lot of brew stores have cheese supplies too. You can usually get wax there.

Got mine from g&g ages ago or was it from the states. Actually need to get more

TimT said:
Lot of brew stores have cheese supplies too. You can usually get wax there.
I have no problem scoring cheese wax, in fact I have a kilo of it, it's bottle wax I was talking about.

_WALLACE_ said:
Hot glue sticks? Does it make it tougher to open. Ive used Hot glue sticks before to do models. Its pretty tough stuff.
If you use too much it does. The crayon softens the mix, making it more pliable & easier to open.

[SIZE=medium]Here is one I prepared earlier...[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]It was made up as the prize for the BOS beer for the NWS State comp in 2011, the bottle is a Methuselah (6L) Champaign bottle.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]The wax is proper bottle sealing wax, applied over the cork and cage. I got it from the people in my post above; I just put the wax into an old kit can and stood that in hot water until the wax melted.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Dipping the still hot wax into cold water gives it that glossy finish you see on commercial sealing wax.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I think it will be worth investing in the proper stuff if you want to keep the bottles for any time, it is made to do the job and will protect your beer, if you use some other product I don’t know what will happen – I know cockroaches will eat cheese wax, bees wax, candles and I suspect most other alternatives. I think it will be hard to get the balance between good sealing/adhesion and removability right – with a commercial product people have spent a couple of hundred years experimenting to get it right.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Mark[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]BOS2.jpg[/SIZE]

Back