Water Cured Olives

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ledgenko

Reaction score
I decided today to have a second go at water brining olives ... I stripped a few olives off our tree out the front of our place then went on a search and acquire mission across our street stripping trees at random (kidding) I did get a few KGs of olives off the neighbours along our street but they are cool with it because if it works they get a KG each ... nice deal considering I ended up with about 15kgs of olives... so I spent and afternoon splitting them ...

I have covered them in water and haves removed access to air from them... The plan is to rep ace the water each day for the next 10 days and then put them in a brine with aromatic herbs for a period of 4 weeks ...

I will update this as I go but as written above is one of many methods of curing olives ... This one method uses less salt than others and as I am on a low sodium diet this is a better option...

The first image is of the pre messed up / cut olives

The second image is of the cut olives in a 20l tub with fresh water just prior to being pushed under water ... because thats how we roll !!!

I will up date over the next couple of days ...

Cheers

Matt

IMG_0608.jpg

IMG_0609.jpg

Wrong area ... my bad .. mods ... please adjust to Brew food ...:) you guys are tops !!!

goodluck legendko, I've never successfully done this. I eventually get lazy and forget to freshen the water. One too many hobbies at a time. I did manage to dry saly some and also cured some tree dried ones in the BBQ which where chewy and pretty good.

Perth seems to be a good olive growing area. There are a couple of trees near my work that i've been eyeing off, its in an industrial area and I wonder if anyone would notice if i stripped them after work one afternoon <_<

Perth seems to be a good olive growing area. There are a couple of trees near my work that i've been eyeing off, its in an industrial area and I wonder if anyone would notice if i stripped them after work one afternoon <_<

I would say not !!!

Used to buy brined olives from a farm in the Swan Valley, "Vinnie" told me you have to break the skin a little before brining, apparenthly this lets the brine into the fruit. He used to just "give em a hit with the back of a knife with a serrated edge" before putting them into the brine. The knife was a fishing knife with a serrated top edge for scaling fish.

Hope this helps.

Screwy

I saw a show on doing this on TV, the old italian ladies sat there with a pasta sauce jar and gave each olive a smack with the bottom of the jar, cracked the olive open which allows the water/brine in. Same process after that, change water every day for a week then brine/season.

i had some really nice olives the other night at a dinner...couldnt quite pick the odd flavour i was getting! was then told it was vanilla, then it all clicked! they were bloody good.

process for my olives when i did them. turned out great.

Wash the olives to remove any dust/wild yeast and then put a cut in each one with a knife and pop into a bowl/container you can seal
Fill container with water so they are just covered and keep them submerged with a plate.
Rinse/swap the water out daily with fresh water. Do this for 10 days. (Its best to pop into the fridge or the coldest part of the house to inhibit any bacteria growth.)
Once this is complete you give them a final rinse/wash and put them into a brine solution of the following in a sealable jar.

Brine solution ratio.
120g of salt
250ml of red wine vinegar
1L of boiled kettle water

Keep in the brine for 1 month and then they are ready to eat.

If the lid is depressed (like a fresh chutney/jam jar) you will know if it begins fermenting/bacteria growth as the lid will pop out. If it does, you will probably want to dump them as the chance they are growing bacteria is high.

I've also been tempted to bulk brine the olives in a 20L handy pail and once ready, drain and store/seal up in jars in a hot oil marinade (cheap olive oil with herbs, lemon peel etc.) and hopefully some pasteurisation occurs.

I have done it with black olives before without splitting them and it worked out no probs, i use my old mayo bucket in bucket mash tun for the first two weeks changing everyday using a brine but only half the amount of salt per litre as you do for the final brine for jars. I never knew untill reading this you could just use water for the first two week period. Maybe give it a go this year.

Back