Water Additions For Bohemian Pilsener

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Use Calcium Chloride and Bicarbonate of soda if you have them

you will essentially (or close enough) end up with salt + chalk additions. just got to watch your additions as you don't want the total Na and Cl levels too high. Unless you're inclined to brewing with sea water. ;)

What does that do to your chloride/sulphate ratio?

ez water won't calculate it as it would come out to infinity :icon_cheers: I guess super malty profile which is what you need for a BoPils, supported by a shitload of saaz of course. :icon_drool2:

Dent, I should also mention that I'm using 100g of acidulated malt as well

Yeah, this is why I suggest measuring rather than trying to work it out beforehand - the grist can make a large difference on the pH side of things even on a scale of 100g melanoidin or carapils additions, for instance.

There are so many variables that unless you are brewing the exact same recipe over and over it can be pretty futile to attempt to nail it beforehand.

Ok - telegraphing my punches for this years forthcoming comp season but:

This is driving me nuts trying to find reliable information, does anyone have any suggestions about the precise salt additions to bring 33L of RO / Distilled water into line with Plzen water? Most info out there seems to be on US sites who suggest adding "Kosher Salts" or 35 grains of Schneiderpoofers old fashioned Philadelphia salts whatever. :huh:

Any advice appreciated as I don't want to add too much mineral, but don't want the thing falling over due to lack of calcium. :icon_cheers:

Bribie,

I used to use RO water when I lived in the UK and because the water was as hard as nails. For a Pils, I used about 35.5ltrs of RO water and then topped it up with 500ml of tap water. This gave enough minerals for what is stated as the Pils water, but then I added a few grams of CaCl2 to up the Calcium side same as what others have mentioned.

:icon_offtopic:

Sent the missus out to find some Calcium Carbonate & she came back empty-handed. Does anyone know if blackboard chalk is a good source of CaCO3 percentage-wise or should I keep looking for a local source?
Sorry for the hijack Bribie. :icon_cheers:

TP

TP, you could try some Sodium Bicarbonate, NaHCO3. Your missus should have some in the pantry for making cakes. Just don't add too much as you don't want the sodium levels up too high, but it should increase your CO3 levels if that is what you are after.

2 g in 20L raises the sodium by 27ppm and the Alkalinity by 60ppm according to Palmers ver 3.0 spreadsheet. That is quite a lot of additional alkalinity. The Sodium addition is probably manageable with normal ranges between 10 - 70 ppm.

As they say it depends.........

ez water won't calculate it as it would come out to infinity :icon_cheers: I guess super malty profile which is what you need for a BoPils, supported by a shitload of saaz of course. :icon_drool2:

Why I asked (just starting to play with water profile) taken from Palmer's How to Brew. Pilsen water Ca 10 Mg 3 HCO3 3 SO4 4 and Cl 4

Pilsen - The very low hardness and alkalinity allow the proper mash pH to be reached with only base malts, achieving the soft rich flavor of fresh bread. The lack of sulfate provides for a mellow hop bitterness that does not overpower the soft maltiness; noble hop aroma is emphasized.

Not knowing your tap water analysis but as you are using mainly RO water, by adding Calcium Chloride arn't you upping the hardness and upsetting the Cl/SO4 ratio.

just my 2 c

I'm adding a bit of Calcium Chloride really for the Calcium as it's the only real option without putting in Sulphate or Carbonate ions - however it's a fairly minute amount and I would hope there are some sulphates in the base malt to counteract it.

I'm adding a bit of Calcium Chloride really for the Calcium as it's the only real option without putting in Sulphate or Carbonate ions - however it's a fairly minute amount and I would hope there are some sulphates in the base malt to counteract it.

Fair enough I presume the water is softened before going into the RO thus will be no calcium in the RO water and the requirement to add some.

Bumpng the thread as I now have my 38L of ro water with me for a 100% wey floor malted bo pils and 100% Czech saaz to 40ibu tonight. Doing a double decoction double batch. So should be a malty beast.

On advice above I'll be cutting the balance of the water with some good old Brisbane water... About 20L iirc. I have 2 issues;

1. I don't have any Epsom salts (ordered from Craftbrewers but the courier arrived when I was in the backyard yesterday and won't redeliver until Monday <_< . What else can I use to add a little mg to the mash?

2. Lowering the mash ph. Was planning on using some acidulated malt (as above ordered it but won't get it till Monday). I have some citric acid that I've considered using, but not sure how much to use. Ezwater does the calcs for lactic, but nit citric. In ez lactic is 88% acid content, assuming the citric is 100% I'll need 3ml to lower to under ph 5.4. Would this be too much?

1) You need some calcium, at least about 25ppm for a soft water beer like this. CaCl is is the best solution here if your working with RO. If your Brissy water adds some calcium, it might be ok. But i suspect you might end up with some alkalinity as well, which you want to avoid.

2) See if you can get some acid malt. 2-3% of the grist should get your PH down considering soft water and a 100% pils malt beer. Lactic acid works well, but I cant comment on citric.

you can get Epsom salts at the supermarket, expensive way to buy it, but same same

Bumpng the thread as I now have my 38L of ro water with me for a 100% wey floor malted bo pils and 100% Czech saaz to 40ibu tonight. Doing a double decoction double batch. So should be a malty beast.

On advice above I'll be cutting the balance of the water with some good old Brisbane water... About 20L iirc. I have 2 issues;

1. I don't have any Epsom salts (ordered from Craftbrewers but the courier arrived when I was in the backyard yesterday and won't redeliver until Monday <_< . What else can I use to add a little mg to the mash?

2. Lowering the mash ph. Was planning on using some acidulated malt (as above ordered it but won't get it till Monday). I have some citric acid that I've considered using, but not sure how much to use. Ezwater does the calcs for lactic, but nit citric. In ez lactic is 88% acid content, assuming the citric is 100% I'll need 3ml to lower to under ph 5.4. Would this be too much?

You don't need any extra magnesium, and the sulfates would be rather undesirable in any case.

If you have a pH meter, shortly after dough in gradually add small quantities of acid - stir and wait a few minutes between iterations - and measure the result. You will get this right with plenty of time left for your sacc rest/s.

Epsom salts should be in the laxatives section. Chemists will have it as well.

Epsom salts should be in the laxatives section. Chemists will have it as well.

And about $3.00 for 375g box not that expensive. ( Chemist's Warehouse )

Back