comments or tips on water additions.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the brewers friend advanced water calc, a really good tool.

The recommended pH of 5.2-5.6 is at mash temp not room temp. The equivalent room temp is about 5.6-5.8(?)

Reman said:
I use the brewers friend advanced water calc, a really good tool.

The recommended pH of 5.2-5.6 is at mash temp not room temp. The equivalent room temp is about 5.6-5.8(?)
Oh no here we go

This has been done to the nines & some more just do a google

Definetly room temp

According to John Palmer How to Brew pH should be 5.1 to 5.5 at mash temp / 5.4 to 5.8 at room temp. This is pretty close to what Reman said, different authors will.put slightly different values.

timmi9191 said:
the OP says cl is 143??

so4 300 ppm for hoppy beers with a minimum 3:1 so4/cl ratio. can be as high as 5:1

just my $0.02
I used to run with that same ratio and it works ok. The more I brew hoppy beers the higher the chloride gets.

Alot of northeast cloudy style beer recipes that have metric fk tonnes of hops thrown in late are high with chloride with a more 1:1 ratio getting both at 150ppm, which seems high fro chloride but the beers are holdings hops better than 6:1 ever have.

"In Summary, these resources indicate an optimum room temperature pH target range of anywhere from 5.0 to 5.6. The low end of this range is probably not as applicable as it once was since today's highly modified malts reduce the need for proteolysis. Therefore the target mash pH range should probably be 5.2-5.6"

Page 60 Water by John Palmer and Colin Kaminski.

Pretty clear its room temp pH

jbaker9 said:
According to John Palmer How to Brew pH should be 5.1 to 5.5 at mash temp / 5.4 to 5.8 at room temp. This is pretty close to what Reman said, different authors will.put slightly different values.
5.1-5.5 at 66 Celsius doesn't adjust to 5.4 to 5.8 at 25 Celsius

timmi9191 said:
5.1-5.5 at 66 Celsius doesn't adjust to 5.4 to 5.8 at 25 Celsius
This is directly from How to Brew Chapter 15: Understanding the Mash PH: Balancing the Malts and Minerals.

"Let me state the goal right up front: for best results the mash pH should be 5.1 to 5.5 when measured at mash temperature, and 5.4 to 5.8 when measured at room temperature. (At mash temperature the pH will measure 0.3 lower due to greater dissociation of the hydrogen ions)"

I also have the Palmer and Kaminski book, which does recommend somewhere between 5.2 - 5.6 at room temperature. At mash temperature with 0.3 adjust this gives 4.9 - 5.3 (ie, 5.1 +/- 0.2). Looks pretty reasonable and consistent to me. Palmer could be more consistent between the two books, but I guess that's something you'd need to take up with him....

James said:
This is directly from How to Brew Chapter 15: Understanding the Mash PH: Balancing the Malts and Minerals.

"Let me state the goal right up front: for best results the mash pH should be 5.1 to 5.5 when measured at mash temperature, and 5.4 to 5.8 when measured at room temperature. (At mash temperature the pH will measure 0.3 lower due to greater dissociation of the hydrogen ions)"

I also have the Palmer and Kaminski book, which does recommend somewhere between 5.2 - 5.6 at room temperature. At mash temperature with 0.3 adjust this gives 4.9 - 5.3 (ie, 5.1 +/- 0.2). Looks pretty reasonable and consistent to me. Palmer could be more consistent between the two books, but I guess that's something you'd need to take up with him....
Pratty1 said:
ahh yes it does.

reading braukiser and the difference is shown to be 0.35 when tested at room temp 25c from that of a sample done at mash temp

http://braukaiser.com/blog/blog/2011/03/02/about-ph-targets-and-temperature/

:ph34r:
I stand corrected.
My error was i considering the effect of ph of buffer solutions v temperature, which obviously behave differently to wort.

So yes wort at 5.1 to 5.5 at mash temp is roughly 5.4 to 5.8 at room temp

No, the Barron reference particularly is a very good discussion of the various affects of temperature on pH electrodes.

There's a brief discussion of sample variation in section 3.2 but the information given there is not germane to the discussion at hand.

Latest posts

Back