comments or tips on water additions.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arctic78

Reaction score
Looking for some advise on my water additions for an IPA.

starting water is : Ca 10.3

Mg 1.8

Na 3.7

So4 7.7

Cl 7.7

Hc03 25.3

With additions of Gypsum 5g, calcium chloride 3.5 and Epson salt 1g for 17ltrs

water is: Ca 135

Mg 7.6

Na 26.8

So4 194.7

Cl 143.7

Hc03 25.3

Wanting the hops to come through well in this beer ... Any comments much appreciated

Add another gram of Epsom Salt (MgSO4) to get Mg to above 10ppm.
Take out all the CaCl2.

That'll probably get you where you want to be.

Id suggest to not take out all the CaCl2, chloride targeted at 50ppm will be suitable for an IPA so do reduce the amount of CaCl2 to get the chloride lower.

What does that make the suggested mash pH?

If I drop the CaCl2 and add 1g table salt and keep the 5 g gypsum and increase MgS04 to 2g
it comes out as.. Ca 65.1

Mg 13.4

Na 26.8

S04 185

Cl 44.4

At what levels Does the Epson salts become a problem ?? Have read it can impart a metallic flavour.

Also what about this sulphate/chloride ratio and the effect it has on the balance of the beer?

Thanks for your comments

oh the predicted
ph was 5.53

What you've got in post #4 looks good IMO.

I wouldn't worry about Epsom Salt in such small quantities. Mg between 10-30 is recommended (I always shoot for just over 10ppm).

Your sulfate/chloride ratio will be good for a hoppy beer.

That pH is a little high. Perhaps add more CaSO4. and get it under 5.5, but at 5.53 it's not crazily out of whack or anything.

Thanks for the advise
I have only been using the beersmith water profile in the latest version and not sure if I like it. I have not got excel so I can't use bru'n water or the Kaiser water programs.
If I add around 120g of acidulated malt I think this should get me to around 5.3-5.4 mark for Ph which is what I want.
still using Ph strips for this brew but should have my meter turn up in the next week.

Have been playing around a bit with my water on the last couple of brews but not happy with what I have tried so far.

arctic78 said:
If I drop the CaCl2 and add 1g table salt and keep the 5 g gypsum and increase MgS04 to 2g
it comes out as.. Ca 65.1

Mg 13.4

Na 26.8

S04 185

Cl 44.4

At what levels Does the Epson salts become a problem ?? Have read it can impart a metallic flavour.

Also what about this sulphate/chloride ratio and the effect it has on the balance of the beer?

Thanks for your comments

oh the predicted
ph was 5.53
Magnesium can also make you shit yourself in high quantities but I reckon you're well below.
That said, an all malt wort really should provide sufficient.

I don't buy the whole ratio thing - one salt affects hop/bitterness perception, one affects malt perception. It's about balancing those flavours in favour of desired result. For an american style ipa, you obviously want more sulphate than chloride. How much may depend on wheteher you're targeting nortwest/west coast/east coast or just generic aipa.

If it's uk you want (not specified in op) then the balance might be different again.

pH measured at room temp or mash temp?

Thanks SBOB .

@ Manticle The more I search and read about the different affects on bitterness , Malty etc. the more I am coming to the conclusion that it is totally dependant on your own taste and what you like so I guess I just have to find the balance where I like it. The whole water chemistry thing is a hell of a lot to take in. I have read and re-read things and now I am trying different things slowly but I am always keen to see what others have to say from their experience.
My Ph readings I take between 23-25 C

Reasonable temp to take them at. 20 is ideal, yours is fine in the scheme of things.

When you get an accurate, well calibrated meter and need to be spot on but where you are is pretty ok for most purposes. Don't stress. Just that temp affects actual pH and mash temp is different to room temp. 3 degrees won't put you out by much though.

SBOB you rock I now have access to both bru'n water and Kaiser water. Not a computer person so would never had found that stuff.

Thanks Manticle . I am just waiting on my Ph meter to turn up. Can't wait . I got a Milwaukee MW101 for $100 from what I have read this should be more than enough for what I want.

Make sure to test your own skills with the ph meter. Calibrating and confirming test results etc.
That's a few hours being modest.

Yeah sorry I have messed around with it since then .
Where did you come across the ratio for the So4/Cl ???

Cheers.

Latest posts

Back