Washing New Pet Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nevbass

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if it's safe to bottle into PET bottles straight from the box? I'm not sure if they need to be cleaned first.

You should be ok - however I would give them a quick wash with a no rinse sanitiser.

You dont want to risk an infection. :icon_cheers:

You should be ok - however I would give them a quick wash with a no rinse sanitiser.

You dont want to risk an infection. :icon_cheers:

Thanks for that.

I'm thinking I should give them some sort of sanitation!! That's common sense I guess, I'm more interested in knowing if I actually have to or not!! Are they sanitised and sterile in the box??

Being brand new they would have been made from molten plastic, as such I wouldve thought this results in a clean bottle - however there may be a lapse in placing the lids on them as such something 'could' get inside.

I have about 90 odd PET bottles and haven't washed a single one straight out of the box.
I had no problems

I have about 90 odd PET bottles and haven't washed a single one straight out of the box.
I had no problems

Thanks guys, I usually use glass stubbies but I'm running a bit short. I have used PET in the past and washed them. I'm looking at two new boxes and thinking should I bother washing them or not. For all your info, the caps are in a sealed bag!!

Being brand new they would have been made from molten plastic, as such I wouldve thought this results in a clean bottle - however there may be a lapse in placing the lids on them as such something 'could' get inside.

I've bought two boxes of these in the last two weeks. Neither of them had the lids on the bottles. So I gave them a good rinse with starsan. 'Trust the bubbles Luke'

Nope i seem to remember they are pre sterilized so should be good, i never cleaned any of mine first time round..... (about 75)

Nope i seem to remember they are pre sterilized so should be good, i never cleaned any of mine first time round..... (about 75)

I have heard that they are pre sterilised before, but surely this goes out the window if they are sitting in a box with no lids on them for God knows how long? Surely the cardboard box can't be germ proof.

OK, I'm gunna bite the bullet and go with NO cleaning. I'll let you all know how things went!! Thanks for all your input.

I'd sanitise them because it's easy and saves the headache or worry. You could debate whether or not it's necessary till the cows drink a fat yak but nothing will ever prove anything one way or the other.

Sanitation is easy peasy. Obviously no need to vigourously clean first with sodium percarbonate and a brush but a good sanitise is only ever going to be good practice. Each to their own.

but with nothing to entice them in I doubt they would bother let a lone live in there.

Since when did dust or cardboard residue need "enticing" ?

There is no way they are "pre sterilised". They're probably quite clean - but clean does not equal sanitary.

I gave mine a quick rinse in water and that's it. They should be ok but always better to be sure and use sone no rinse sanatiser

Since when did dust or cardboard residue need "enticing" ?

There is no way they are "pre sterilised". They're probably quite clean - but clean does not equal sanitary.

Was referring to the bacteria more then dust and cardboard.
the Coopers HBK instructions say to rinse with just cold water before bottling I'd guess for the dust and carboard dust.

For the last caseswap in VIC, all i did was simply rinse out with no rinse sanitiser and fill away. No reports of infection so everything must have been hunky dory.

For the last caseswap in VIC, all i did was simply rinse out with no rinse sanitiser and fill away. No reports of infection so everything must have been hunky dory.
Nah mate your was shite lol

Nah mate your was shite lol

Says he who packaged his beer in nappi boxes! :ph34r:

:lol: !!

Not what you originally said! ;)

15. Fourstar - American IPA
clear with slight haze. could smell the hops as soon as you opened it. Lots of 'C' hop (no chops this time). struggled to get any sort of head but that could have been the glass (probably was). great level of carbonation. takes a few sips for the taste buds to adjust then its all good. great IPA. hop flavours round off the sides of the tongue ie aren't harsh. slight honey flavour I kept tasting after finishing each mouthful. no idea where that was coming from? maybe the crystal? its was a nice touch.
25 minutes after i finished the last of it I can still taste hops. great IPA. This was exactly the way I needed to start my night after a crap day.
edit: the cat seemed interested in having a good smell of your beer. it then went nuts licking my fingers which i had duncked in the beer. So the cat liked your beer also for what its worth!

Was referring to the bacteria more then dust and cardboard.
the Coopers HBK instructions say to rinse with just cold water before bottling I'd guess for the dust and carboard dust.

Bacteria that affect beer don't fly around with wings or crawl into bottles. They're living on particles of dust, pollen, etc. If the bottle has dust from the cardboard settled in it, expect there to be bacteria.

That said - the environment isn't exactly great for anything living. Low pH and alcohol will inhibit most bugs. But for the sake of a couple ml of no-rinse sanitiser I don't think it's worth the risk.

12 months since i bought PETS but i believe it said on the box that they were Pre Sterilized and i think they were also in a sealed plastic bag.
If this is the case then the risk level is low.

Latest posts

Back