Washing New Pet Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm up to well over 100 PET's in my system now,
I have always rinsed the new ones in boiled water, as warm as the bottles will take,
which seems to be around 60 deg C.

I've never used santiser, just the warm boiled water. This method seems to work,
but clean - clean - clean is the way.

What a strange leap to be making. I'm going to go immediately from saying you have no right to tell people that they are being too clean in their brewing to telling others that their process is wrong?

You are a very smart gentleman. I am impressed at your mastery of rhetoric.

I'm impressed by how much your handle suits your persona.

Nick -I've made this point before but the things that work for you are things you've arrived at through experience. There are many things you can change about recommended process or get away with when you know what you're doing but when you're new to the craft it's better to be careful. I can imagine getting an infection on your first KK brew might be enough to put you off brewing.

By all means - your methods are valid in as much as they work for you but you worked them out given time and experience. Not everyone has that luxury yet.

Add to that, that from what I understand, you do sanitise (hot/boiling water). You just don't use chemicals.

Nick -I've made this point before but the things that work for you are things you've arrived at through experience. There are many things you can change about recommended process or get away with when you know what you're doing but when you're new to the craft it's better to be careful. I can imagine getting an infection on your first KK brew might be enough to put you off brewing.

By all means - your methods are valid in as much as they work for you but you worked them out given time and experience. Not everyone has that luxury yet.

Add to that, that from what I understand, you do sanitise (hot/boiling water). You just don't use chemicals.

Totally - but I'm also trying to let others know that complete paranoia is not always necessary and might put off a novice brewer. I couldn't care less what everyone else does ... just saying that clean bottles rinsed with hot tap water get infected at a rate of 1:2000, and that's a ratio I can be happy with.

Bottling in a hermetically sealed environment suits rigorous sanitization regimes - not banging beer into bottles in the kitchen.

I think we're on a par somewhere. I'm far from mr bio-suit man but I don't always recommend my half arsed processes as the best way to behave, especially to Monsieur myairlockisntbubblingdoihavetinea

New brewers, that little thought in the back of your head telling you that rinsing PET in hot water might be a bad idea is probably worth listening to.

I used to just give the bottles a clean, and then soak in a strong bleach mix, then rinse thoroughly and dry in the carton upside down.

Open carton again on bottling day and fill.

A few months ago I had a gusher though, and the single bottle was clearly infected. Was pretty upsetting.

So now I no rinse sanitise the bottles (quick shake with solution then passed to next bottle and so on) prior to bottling.
Haven't been doing it like this for long enough to see the effects, so am usure of any tiny infections that may be slowly destroying my beers.

Will have to wait and see, but the no rinse step is pretty quick when everything is set up to bottle, so will keep at it for peace of mind for now.

Marlow

just saying that clean bottles rinsed with hot tap water get infected at a rate of 1:2000, and that's a ratio I can be happy with.

In your environment :) That won't be the same for everyone.

If it works for you - that's great. Not everyone has that luxury though, everyones house and environment is going to have different native flora and associated microbes. Some people store their grain in their bottling area, some store bottles outside or in a dusty shed.

If people want to risk bottling a batch without sanitisation - sure, go for it. But they should do so knowing that depending on their environment they might waste the batch.

48 posts on whether or not we need to wash PET bottles. Does anybody think we may need a life?

48 posts on whether or not we need to wash PET bottles. Does anybody think we may need a life?

Well said there Henno,

this is what the forum is becoming lately, at least 50% sounds like it's like a kiddy chat line.
/rant

QldKev

There seems to be a sport going where some posters seem to always post a reply within 5 minutes of the original, often starting with - "I don't know much about this topic however ....""

I just ignore these posters now, as I don't think they realise that just by posting first does not make their response the most correct.

/rant.

Digger

I'd like to enter into this debate about other people's posts. I hate people who post their opinions on the internet. It should be banned. Stop posting guys.

It pretty much put me off brewing for some time, I did the hot water rinse like the video said and the beer was infected. Didn't brew again for 3 years.

Latest posts

Back