Washing Beer Glasses

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roosiecharm

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wondering what you guys do as far as washing beer glasses? I've heard there are special steps to take to preserve the beer-friendly aspects of the glass, and products to use to avoid detergent flavours and stuff in beers. Any tips?

Wash however you want and make sure it's clean. Then rinse with vinegar or a mix of vinegar/bicarb. Rinse again with clean water and taste the water to make sure the vinegar is gone.

OR Felten's link.

As long as my beer glass doesn't have an emblem on it, I chuck it in the dishwasher, no issues at all. Detergents are evil though

I know some people don't like anything Brewcraft related but I've found their Brewclean to be
pretty good for glasses.

From their website..

"100% biodegradable, detergent & solvent free, non-toxic. Use for everything. Cleans kitchen & bathroom surfaces, BBQs, degreases engines. Fantastic non-polluting camp cleaner."

Degreases engines? :)

I use dishwasher tabs in a sink of hot water, and let the glasses soak for 1hr or so ( basically untill the water is cool enough to get them out ), then rinse with hot water...

Bingo.. super sparkling clean glasses...

Dishwasher tabs dont contain detergent just alkalia cleaners

dishwasher first.

Then I stick them in my kids old bottle steamer to sterilize them.

Seems to work.
I think the shape of the glass plays a part as well.

I accidently clicked on report in this thread...
so disregard it whoever gets it.

I just wash normally with dishwashing detergent like I do with everything. then rinse the soap off, like I do with everything. You don't have to do anything special that's all a wank IMO.

I just wash normally with dishwashing detergent like I do with everything. then rinse the soap off, like I do with everything. You don't have to do anything special that's all a wank IMO.

If it works for you then fair enough, why change it. But you do risk crap head retention and flavour issues using detergent. It's fairly common knowledge in hospitality that you shouldn't use detergents for beer glasses. I normally just use super hot water, as long as they get washed soon after use this will get rid of everything.

Hi all,

Just wondering what you guys do as far as washing beer glasses? I've heard there are special steps to take to preserve the beer-friendly aspects of the glass, and products to use to avoid detergent flavours and stuff in beers. Any tips?

When i used to work at the pub we usually just stuck a rack full of glasses in the washer, Hot water no detergent. Pretty much that's all. Once in a while, i think fortnightly the glasses would get a bit of a scrub clean by hand with some glass commercial cleaner... not detergent based, just alkali i think... like in dishwashers.

So now i just rinse my glasses immediately after use with hot water, as hot as i can handle. Then once in a blue moon into the dishwasher. I've done the bicarb and vinegar as a paste before. Works really well, especially on the BBQ, but much easier to just go in the dishwasher then rinse with more water afterwards. Always had glasses that keep a decent head.

Just rinse in hot water, making sure you rub around the lip lines to get rid of all the oils. Definitely no detergents.

Just rinse in hot water, making sure you rub around the lip lines to get rid of all the oils. Definitely no detergents.

If hot water will remove all the oils, why won't hot water remove the detergents? Is it your conclusion that glass is porous to detergents?

Hi all,

Avoid dishwashers and the rinse aid tablets like the plague, I love dishwashers but i hate flat shitty looking beer when I know its ok. What did i do? I put all those glasses on the shelf and only pull em if/when occasions arise. really who wants to hand wash glasses? the epitomy of a homebrewers PITA.
Visited cash n carry and bought a box of 50 headmasters for 49.99, smash em, give em away, cheep cheep!! but they will very rarely ever let you down.

If hot water will remove all the oils, why won't hot water remove the detergents? Is it your conclusion that glass is porous to detergents?

Whatever works for you goom, not going to get into a debate by quoting. Works for me, so play on words all you like.

Chikey I just chuck them all in the dish washer and add a handful of Sodium Metasilicate, too easy.

MHB

Coming from hospitality, I only use hot water and pressure from the tap at full blast. Keep detergents and any wetting agents away unelss you want to then rinse again to get rid of the residue.

My theory is to eliminate the washing in detergent stage, and go straight to the hot water blasted from your tap at full pressure, rinsing the glass inside, and out side the glass and rim where your lips and hands touched it as well.

This will do fine, as long as you do this as soon as you finish your beer on don't let the beer dregs settle in the glass.

Drink, hot thorough rinse, let glass cool, then back in the fridge...then drink, hot thorough rinse, let glass cool....

Trick is to have a good stack of cold glasses in your fridge so your freshly rinsed ones can cool.

Bubba

Coming from hospitality, I only use hot water and pressure from the tap at full blast. Keep detergents and any wetting agents away unelss you want to then rinse again to get rid of the residue.

My theory is to eliminate the washing in detergent stage, and go straight to the hot water blasted from your tap at full pressure, rinsing the glass inside, and out side the glass and rim where your lips and hands touched it as well.

This will do fine, as long as you do this as soon as you finish your beer on don't let the beer dregs settle in the glass.

Drink, hot thorough rinse, let glass cool, then back in the fridge...then drink, hot thorough rinse, let glass cool....

Trick is to have a good stack of cold glasses in your fridge so your freshly rinsed ones can cool.

Bubba
unfortunately i have to run at least 2 litre of water through the tap before it gets hot - given the shortage of water here in melb my wife won't let me run the tap this long!! But as long as I rinse immediately, then a good rinse with cold water does the trick OK. Every couple of days I'll do a batch rinse, and give all my glasses a hot wash - water only. The difference is head retention after a few cold washes is usually quite noticeable.

If your glasses have soap in them you can rinse in water then shake the glass then add iodised salt sprinkling on the inside of the glass if the salt falls to the bottom to the glass its soapy,then just wipe your hand on the inside of the glass with the salt ,than rinse with water than do the salt test again it will cling to the sides of the glass amazing.

sav

Latest posts

Back