Want To Buy A Grain Mill...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bevdawg

Reaction score
Hi all. So I'm after a mill, and been looking around on various US sites and can see some nice options for around $150 plus shipping. Problem is a lot do not ship to Australia, or direct you to a distributer who sells the same one for double the price.

I really want to get a mill, to save some money on grain orders, but don't really want to spend over $200. Can anyone point me to a good mill for around $150?

Buy through an on-shipper like PriceUSA and you can get any mill you want even if they don't ship to Australia.

A lot of others can give good ~150 mill advice. I have a mashmaster mill so I am not in the position to advise :p

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

http://www.monsterbrewinghardware.com/mm-2.html
$US117

Postage
$US45 (for 1 or 2 units) Get someone local involved and half the postage each

I got one

nuff said :lol:

There is a couple of others that are just as good value, and all very good mills. This was my choice and would still be, having owned it for a long time. There is details of my hopper and how I motorised it on my website *plug*. The link is in my sig.

QldKev

Yep, love my motorised MM-2. I bought the hopper and base with the mill. The 32L wheely bin was $10 at K-Mart. The base is the perfect size to sit on top of the bin. The bin fits 9 kilos of crushed grain no worries. Too easy :icon_cheers:

today_061.JPG

Yep, love my motorised MM-2. I bought the hopper and base with the mill. The 32L wheely bin was $10 at K-Mart. The base is the perfect size to sit on top of the bin. The bin fits 9 kilos of crushed grain no worries. Too easy :icon_cheers:

View attachment 46164

Thats a cool grain catcher! It would def keep the dust down as a bonus

QldKev

big definate plus one on the mm2. one of the best investments in my brewery.

matt

Go for the MM2

If you can get someone in on it with you you will half the shipping...

unless you want the hopper, and the hopper is very nice

wow that one is great. with the hopper and base it comes to $218US, so a great deal really.

wow that one is great. with the hopper and base it comes to $218US, so a great deal really.

and remember, once you have a mill you can get bulk grain so it wont take long to pay it off.

QldKev

Another great 'homebrew saving' ;) this hobby is just chockablock with savings!

Hope that's taken with the light brand of humour it's posted, I'm sure many are sitting on mounds of gold saved by mills right at this moment. :D

Posted by a twisted mill-less tired and sober poster who only opened this thread as I also am looking to make another great 'homebrew saving' purchase :D

The mill looks like a nice investment, 25kg base malt me right up. More kegs and more cubes to follow!

How much do the monster mills weigh? Have a in law visiting US soon, wonder if feasible to pack in their luggage on the way back.

How much do the monster mills weigh? Have a in law visiting US soon, wonder if feasible to pack in their luggage on the way back.

I brought 2 back with me, a 2 roller and a 3 roller. I flew with Qantas, I think they had a 22kg limit on bags (think it was 50lbs for the american baggage handelers union or something). They fit and I still had heaps of crap in there.

Word of advise but, you bag WILL get pulled apart about 20 times, so don't put anything fragile in there. I had plastic coffee drip thingo for my mum in there and some dumb-ass put it near the mill which was the end of it...

Thankfully the Peanut Butter M&M's made it unharmed!

A lot of stuff (including Monster) cannot be purchased in stores. It needs to be shipped to an address. In general more is purchased online in the USA, and prices are better than in retail shops. Your better off buying you mill online, with the good dollar the price is very good even with the postage costs to Aust. As others have said, the base and hopper are brilliant and worth every cent. I was just over there and wanted to buy a good PH meter. Couldn't find one, so ended up buying it online when I got home (what's $20 postage in the scheme of things!)

In saying that homebrew shops stock a lot of cool stuff, such as the Blichmann therminator, which I bought and love!

I got a MM3 with hopper and base. Great buy and it has paid for itself.
Cheers
BBB

Crankandsteins are great too, MM and Crank mills are very similar, both a solid piece of kit that is going to last decades whichever one you get.

I have a crankie and it has made a huge difference in cost and freedom to crush whenever I feel like. I just have the basic 2S but it works a treat and crushes great.

A lot of stuff (including Monster) cannot be purchased in stores. It needs to be shipped to an address. In general more is purchased online in the USA, and prices are better than in retail shops. Your better off buying you mill online, with the good dollar the price is very good even with the postage costs to Aust. As others have said, the base and hopper are brilliant and worth every cent. I was just over there and wanted to buy a good PH meter. Couldn't find one, so ended up buying it online when I got home (what's $20 postage in the scheme of things!)

In saying that homebrew shops stock a lot of cool stuff, such as the Blichmann therminator, which I bought and love!

I got an address in which i could post to in the us where my in-law is staying late in his trip.

so, could anyone let me know the approximate weight of the $117 Mill? or the 2s crankenstein? about 5 kg?

I got an address in which i could post to in the us where my in-law is staying late in his trip.

so, could anyone let me know the approximate weight of the $117 Mill? or the 2s crankenstein? about 5 kg?

The crankandstein is about 3kg.

Cheers,

Justin.

My MM2 arrive 2weeks back for $180 shipped with crank handle. All good.

Back