Want To Buy A Grain Mill...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How long does shipping usually take from the USA ?

Hi all. So I'm after a mill, and been looking around on various US sites and can see some nice options for around $150 plus shipping. Problem is a lot do not ship to Australia, or direct you to a distributer who sells the same one for double the price.

I really want to get a mill, to save some money on grain orders, but don't really want to spend over $200. Can anyone point me to a good mill for around $150?

PM sent RE: qldkev's post

I brought 2 back with me, a 2 roller and a 3 roller.

How much did you pay Frag?? Are they readily available in shops over there?? I'm heading over in a couple of weeks and toying with this idea, but at the end of the day, may not be worth it... Split the purchase with another brewer and half the postage...?

Thanks

I'm also interested in getting one soon (maybe in a month?), so if you're in Brisbane let me know if you want to share shipping.

If it works out cheaper, I'll share shipping with anyone in Melbourne.

can't reccommend the MM2 enough... i bought mine a couple of months back when the dollar was 1.09US ended up getting to my door for $153.6AU even after Paypals gouging <_< I just knocked up a base out of some spare MDF i had laying around and a spare water cooler bottle jammed in the cut hole and sealed with liquid nails, over a bucket... not entirely pretty but work a treat. Drive it with an old corded drill.

I've done 3 double batches so far with it and i'd be getting pretty close to breaking even with buying grain in bulk... maybe another 100L or so and i'll be about on par.

It seems as though people who bought a crankandstein mill love them.
It seems as though people who bought a moster mill love them.
You never see anyone complaining about the mill they buy (except for the odd owner of a long-in the tooth marga). I think it is pretty hard to go get a shit mill.

For the record, I have a JSP MaltMill and I love it.

You never see anyone complaining about the mill they buy (except for the odd owner of a long-in the tooth marga). I think it is pretty hard to go get a shit mill.
.. and even then it's usually caveated by, "oh well i bought a small cheap mill that was never intended for crushing x hundred kilo of grain for x amount of years. It was great, but now it's time to buy another, or a designed for purpose grain mill"

My second hand Marga does a great job in about 20 mins with little or no effort. However it was already modded and dynabolted for me when I got it, no complaints for $30. To all intents and purposes it looks and runs like brand new, despite the odd bit of Golden Promise field flint that jams it up now and again :p

If you want something for your kids to inherit or with a great resale value, go the mashmaster millmaster. I know it's about double your budget, but at least, being fully geared, you can be certain it will never stuff up like some of the single geared mills might do over time. Not saying they all definately will, but there is a very fair chance. Why not get the best mill now and don't have to worry about it anymore for the rest of your life.
Plus, it's a 12kg beast to be proud of.

No need to motorise it either, I crack 5kg with the crank handle in (seriously) 2,5 minutes with absolute ease, no sore arm.

Hand cranked mills are actually very easy. I was at Winkle's brew day and he just has a hand cranked Marga. I had a go and imagined it would be a world of pain like some medieval treadmill. Actually the action was surprisingly light. I was going to convert my Marga back to hand crank to avoid buying a drill but couldn't dismantle it however.

For the record, I have a JSP MaltMill and I love it.

I have a barley crusher & would warn anyone considering doing large volumes of milling to look elsewhere. Over time the free roller loses its ability to grip the grain leading to frustration.

Cheers

Paul

I have a barley crusher & would warn anyone considering doing large volumes of milling to look elsewhere. Over time the free roller loses its ability to grip the grain leading to frustration.

Cheers

Paul

Could you get it re-knurled maybe?

Could you get it re-knurled maybe?

Not sure how one would go about it, given some of the others are available for $150 might be easier to buy a new one.

Cheers

Paul

Cheers

Paul

My barley crusher is precisely the reason I'm reading this thread.

I was looking at the MM site yesterday & wondering if there's any point in getting the 3 roller or the 2" roller upgrade. I was probably leaning towards the 3 roller 1.5" but I'm willing to save some money if there's no value in the 3rd roller. I'll be ordering mine on Thursday once I get my bonus pay.

Here is my mill with my happy harlequin hopper. About $20 in bits including a set of coloured cutting mats.

Happy_hopper.JPG

Looks like I was too slow to edit that post by precisely the time it took me to edit my post so sorry about the double post.

Due to a PM about the barley crusher I figured I should mention that it does still work, just not as well as I'd like. I'm going to be giving it to a mate who expects to be using it for years to come. I got it 2nd hand for $50 & have cracked enough bulk grain with it that I'm sure I'm in front. My mate that I got it from feels the same I'm sure. We've estimated that we've probably put about a tonne of grain through it between us so it's not like it's an unreliable mill, I just reckon I'd prefer a monster mill.

Latest posts

Back