Want To Buy A Grain Mill...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
would it be good for driving in screws an bolts as well into stuff?

my battery (torque) drill is stuffed and thinking this thing might be a cheap multi use tool with plenty of grunt
i have a higher speed but it has shite torque...

Multi use, yes! :lol:

What I have now done is pulled all the gust out of my old corded drill, so all that remains are the stator, gearbox and chuck and casing.
I then screwed the drill case to a few bits of mdf to get the old drill chuck to the same height as the mill driveshaft.
Attached the chuck (old drill) to the mill, then drive the end of the stator with my new drill. the new drill does not raise a sweat at all and a very slow crush speed (as the new drill is effectively driving a 10:1 gearbox)
In low range, the new drill rpm is 1000 no load, so I crush at 100rpm, there is hardly any husk damage.
Not the neatest solution - actually very ugly, but oh, so effective. and will do until late august!
Would show pics, but a bit embarrassing atm, will clean it up and post pics!

What a great idea. Reuse the old bits from the broken drill and allow your new drill crush at a decent controlled speed. Now you just need a mount system for the drill to hold it in place when you are milling, but can remove the drill when needed. :beerbang:

QldKev

Just ordered a mashmaster mini mill from Ross.

Can't wait to get it and try it out. Selling my Crank' to a brewing mate who's just started to get into all grain. Really wanted the easy ability to change or adjust gap settings on the fly so to speak.

Come on postie, come on.......

Keep in mind that i have not used the mashmaster mini mill that i ordered this week yet, but the thing that i like about the mashmaster is the simplicity with adjusting the mill settings.

From what i can gather, different grains depending on where they are from - typically England, Europe, USA, or Aussie maltsters, the grain size can differ within the same "type" of grain. ie: an English ale grain kernel could quite easily be a different size grain to an australian ale grain, or usa ale grain....

I have (soon to be sold) a Crankandstein (spelling?) 2 roller mill. It's based very closely (almost identical) to the monster mills. Didn't the guy who started Crank use to work for monster mill???

IT'S A FANTASTIC MILL.
I have no complaints about using it to crush my grain. However, the single most thing that got me over the line to buy the mashmaster was that you undo a lock screw, change "setting" on the side of the mill, then lock the lock screw again and your good to go with a different gap setting if required. To me, the ability to chase consistency from one batch of grain to the next, is important for my personal journey through brewing.
To change the gap setting on the Crank, you have to disassemble the mill. Remove the idle roller, remove the brass eccentric bushing, change it's position in the mill chasis, and then reassemble the mill. Check your results, and maybe repeat the process until your happy with the crush consistency.
If you only use one type of grain, or a specific manufacturer, this is fine. In most cases actually, this is fine and more than acceptable. But i personally would love the opportunity to be able to change gap settings and test resulting brews really quickly and easily.

I have a feeling that most of the monster mills are probably adjusted in a similar fashion to the cranky's....

As i said, i haven't received the mill yet, (only ordered it yesterday) but i'm expecting a top notch mill, and i feel that Ross's price on this mill for the end of the month apparently is a pretty good deal for me...

No affiliation....just excited to get my mill hopefully in the next day or two.

All i need to do now is sort out a motor setup for it.

Nath

I'm going to order a monstermill tomorrow, unless there is a better option

They are all good options. I have an MM2 but would be just as happy with a Crank or a Mashmaster minimill. Just comes down to what you want to pay and what you are paying for.

Keep in mind that i have not used the mashmaster mini mill that i ordered this week yet, but the thing that i like about the mashmaster is the simplicity with adjusting the mill settings.

From what i can gather, different grains depending on where they are from - typically England, Europe, USA, or Aussie maltsters, the grain size can differ within the same "type" of grain. ie: an English ale grain kernel could quite easily be a different size grain to an australian ale grain, or usa ale grain....

I have (soon to be sold) a Crankandstein (spelling?) 2 roller mill. It's based very closely (almost identical) to the monster mills. Didn't the guy who started Crank use to work for monster mill???

IT'S A FANTASTIC MILL.
I have no complaints about using it to crush my grain. However, the single most thing that got me over the line to buy the mashmaster was that you undo a lock screw, change "setting" on the side of the mill, then lock the lock screw again and your good to go with a different gap setting if required. To me, the ability to chase consistency from one batch of grain to the next, is important for my personal journey through brewing.
To change the gap setting on the Crank, you have to disassemble the mill. Remove the idle roller, remove the brass eccentric bushing, change it's position in the mill chasis, and then reassemble the mill.
Check your results, and maybe repeat the process until your happy with the crush consistency.
If you only use one type of grain, or a specific manufacturer, this is fine. In most cases actually, this is fine and more than acceptable. But i personally would love the opportunity to be able to change gap settings and test resulting brews really quickly and easily.

I have a feeling that most of the monster mills are probably adjusted in a similar fashion to the cranky's....

As i said, i haven't received the mill yet, (only ordered it yesterday) but i'm expecting a top notch mill, and i feel that Ross's price on this mill for the end of the month apparently is a pretty good deal for me...

No affiliation....just excited to get my mill hopefully in the next day or two.

All i need to do now is sort out a motor setup for it.

Nath

The monster mill has screws on the back which can be loosened and then the gap adjusted using knobs on the sides of the mill body. Sounds like the same set-up as the mashmaster. Monster mills need no dismantling to adjust the gap. The mashmaster will be a great mill I reckon.

Aaaah, thanks for that mate.

Happy to stand corrected, as i don't want to tarnish the name of a reputable company with incorrect information.

Aaaah, thanks for that mate.

Happy to stand corrected, as i don't want to tarnish the name of a reputable company with incorrect information.

No worries :icon_cheers:

Post a report on how you go with the mashmaster mini mill. Not sure if anyone has yet? It should be a ripper

My 1st mill is the Mashmaster Mini. Did my 1st crush last night (BB ale malt) based on the credit card gap theory. Came out too fine so I dialled it back one mark. Initially the marks didn't line up (one roller different to the other) but a few winds of the dials got them to line up. The stock it's made from isn't finished at all, but a polished mill would get knocked around pretty quick anyway. Tightening the gap set screws does seem to tighten up the rollers a bit. I like the nice mechanical whirr from the geared rollers though.

My 1st mill is the Mashmaster Mini. Did my 1st crush last night (BB ale malt) based on the credit card gap theory. Came out too fine so I dialled it back one mark. Initially the marks didn't line up (one roller different to the other) but a few winds of the dials got them to line up. The stock it's made from isn't finished at all, but a polished mill would get knocked around pretty quick anyway. Tightening the gap set screws does seem to tighten up the rollers a bit. I like the nice mechanical whirr from the geared rollers though.

Now i just want the postie to hurry the **** up even more now. :icon_cheers:

Not worried about the finish, my Crank was more what i call brushed finished. Certainly was a long way from polished.

mmmmmmmm, mechanical whirr.....(homer simpson moment....)

6" long, 2-Roller knob adjustable gap drill drive grain mill
SKU: MM-2 Drive Shaft Size: 1/2"
Roller Material: 303 SS

Shipped for USD 220

---------------------------------------------

CrankandStein 2D
303 Stainless Steel rollers for the 2S, 2A, and 2D
1/2" Driveshaft

Shipped for USD 224.50

Mashmaster Minimill

Shipped for AUD 238.75

Now, I see from descriptions that the Crankandstein 2D and the Mashmaster are gear driven.
I can have a hopper and base shipped from Crank for no extra shipping if I can believe their website calculation. MM-2 Hopper increases postage! Mashmaster don't have one available by the looks of it?!

Bending towards ordering a crank with hopper.... Not sure though, is the Mashmaster minimill really that much better quality? Working out the exchange rate, I can get that Crankandstein spec'd similar to mashmaster and a hopper added + shipping for about the same price as I'd pay for a mashmaster shipped to me locally without a hopper!!!

Monster mill on the way for around $140 delivered!!!!!!!!!!!! GO THE AUSSIE DOLLAR :icon_drunk:

CrankandStein 2D
1/2" Driveshaft

+ Hopper & Base

Shipped for USD 264.50, which should end up ~240-245 AUD

Ordered :)

CrankandStein 2D
1/2" Driveshaft

+ Hopper & Base

Shipped for USD 264.50, which should end up ~240-245 AUD

Ordered :)

Cancelled the dam hopper!!! They emailed back saying the hopper will cost 40 bucks extra to post!!!! Wow. Oh well, back to the drawing board to make one here :p

practicalfool said:
Cancelled the dam hopper!!! They emailed back saying the hopper will cost 40 bucks extra to post!!!! Wow. Oh well, back to the drawing board to make one here
IIRC I remember seeing some comments saying that the monstermill hopper fits in the box along with a monstermill, so you don't have to pay any extra shipping. I have a crankandstein 2d though so don't quote me on that.

Now, I see from descriptions that the Crankandstein 2D and the Mashmaster are gear driven.
BTW both the monstermill and crankandstein mills are all grain engaged on the non-driven wheel. The description for the 2d model says "grain engaged gear teeth", the gear won't turn the non driven roller by itself. It doesn't seem to be a problem for people that own them though.

The mashmaster mills are the only ones I know of (discussed here) that are gear driven on the idle roller.

IIRC I remember seeing some comments saying that the monstermill hopper fits in the box along with a monstermill, so you don't have to pay any extra shipping. I have a crankandstein 2d though so don't quote me on that.

Correct. I've just received my MM2 with base and hopper. All in one flat-rate shipping box. I'm glad I bought the base and hopper - nicely made and will save me quite a bit of time knocking up my own.

Correct. I've just received my MM2 with base and hopper. All in one flat-rate shipping box. I'm glad I bought the base and hopper - nicely made and will save me quite a bit of time knocking up my own.
I'm just about to order one I think, how much was it in total? And how long did it take to arrive

Crap. Ok, so that means the ply advantage I get from buying the crank is the 30-35 bucks saved off the mashmaster, but no gear drive... You say it's never been a problem. So, what's so special with the grain engaged gears? I basically picked the 2D over a MM2 just for that reason :S I plan to use a 36v drill to drive it and was concerned about slipping rollers, hence wanted to just play safe and get gear drive.
Btw, monster's website increases the freight if I add the hopper on there... Do we have to email them to get the no extra charge postage?

Thanks for your info though, wish I knew b4 I ordered.

@jonw did you mail them to fix their postage? I tried their website a few times and it always increases the postage :(

Latest posts

Back