Want To Buy A Grain Mill...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Geared or not geared, honestly I have no idea. I haven't had any problems with my mill in regards to slipping or husk tearing, but it's probably got lower mileage compared to others' mills.

Geared or not geared, honestly I have no idea. I haven't had any problems with my mill in regards to slipping or husk tearing, but it's probably got lower mileage compared to others' mills.
Gah. I'll just stick to the 2D then, it's already ordered. Dam hard deciding between just 3!! I'm prolly never gonna get close to any mileage. Once a month maybe. Will get the sheeties at work to 'assist' in making a hopper ;) probably draw one up and give em a drawing and some under the table beer :p

I've just bought a drill and socket, I will try and power my corona mill, if it dosent work, at-least I will have a drill, then I will get a monstermill.

crankenstein mills will deliver..you can get the 2A or 2S for under $100 postage is about $45..but if you get a mate that wants one you can share the post,thats just for mill
From Crankandstein
Even three 2-roller or two 3-roller homebrew mills can go in one box for the same postage.

so i just read this whole thread again....

should i just go see Ross and buy the mashmaster ?

sure i could ship something in from OS for about $80 cheaper but will i just think "i should have bought a mashmaster"?

Ross is the special staying on this week :).....

sure i could ship something in from OS for about $80 cheaper but will i just think "i should have bought a mashmaster"?

Ross is the special staying on this week :).....

I'll extend the offer for August.

IMO (& yes I'm biased, but that's why i stock them & not the others) the Cranks & Monsters, though perfectly good while working, don't come close to the Mashmaster Mill which will last you a lifetime.
I've owned (& have for sale) a top of the range 3 roller S/S Crank, so speak from experience. not owned a monster, but they are basically the same.

Cheers Ross

IMO (& yes I'm biased, but that's why i stock them & not the others) the Cranks & Monsters, though perfectly good while working, don't come close to the Mashmaster Mill which will last you a lifetime.
I've owned (& have for sale) a top of the range 3 roller S/S Crank, so speak from experience. not owned a monster, but they are basically the same.

Cheers Ross
I'm ready to get a mill, I would like the mashmaster, but I don't have the tools to build a hopper for it, are there any other options?

I'm ready to get a mill, I would like the mashmaster, but I don't have the tools to build a hopper for it, are there any other options?

you could always make one out of cardboard and tape it together, the base however will need to be strong as these are heavy little ....rs

you could always make one out of cardboard and tape it together, the base however will need to be strong as these are heavy little ....rs
So basically just some wood with a hole cut in it, do you know if they come with bolts?

So basically just some wood with a hole cut in it, do you know if they come with bolts?

no bolts, but they come with the threaded holes for attaching a hopper.
I'm very dissappointed they didn't come with a ready made hopper, but guess you can't have everything :( Hopefully there's one taking shape soon....

the bolts that fit the holes are 1/4" for everyone's reference.

This is a simple hopper to build that fits a Monster/Crank mill.

I built mine from cardboard first (get all the mistakes out of the way ;) ) and then mdf.

Can't recall who posted it originally.

View attachment Hopper_Detailing_01.pdf

Ross is the special staying on this week :) .....

You most certainly should get the mashmaster in my opinion. See below.....

Cheers Ross

To everyone that is considering a new mill at this stage, my Mashmaster Mini arrived today from Ross. I would seriously consider buying this mill if you want something that's built tough (but smart).

Cheers mate, what a kick ass mill.

Don't know why they call it a mini, as it looks like it's a bigger mill than my last 2 roller crankandstein which i've just sold to a mate.

These mills are built like a brick shithouse....I see what Ross means when he says they will last a lifetime. I am very impressed with it. I thought my Crankandstein was a good mill, but it's not even in the same ballpark as this mashmaster.

I've just got back from buying a drill to power it as my current drill was a 10mm chuck, and this mashmaster needs a 13mm, but i was in the market for a new drill anyway.

the mashmaster has geared rollers, (stainless too) and the adjustment couldn't be easier.

Lots of options. My last crankandstein i had a water bottle from a water fountain dispenser as a hopper and it worked very well. Bugger all tools and brains required to utilise this design.
Do a google search for grain mill hopper designs and have a look at what some people have come up with. Doesn't need to be fancy by any stretch.

No affiliation (obviously as i'm in South Australia) but **** am i happy with this mill. Thank you again Ross, it's a cracker!

And if your holding that price for august, it's a pretty sweet deal considering the quality of this mill.

cheers,

Nathan

Lots of options. My last crankandstein i had a water bottle from a water fountain dispenser as a hopper and it worked very well. Bugger all tools and brains required to utilise this design.

Nathan

with the water bottle hopper is there any issue with grains all going through the "middle" of the mill ?
putting stress in one area ?

but i think Big Nath has talked me into one :)

Only thing that surprised me about the mashmaster is the threads are imperial.

with the water bottle hopper is there any issue with grains all going through the "middle" of the mill ?
putting stress in one area ?

but i think Big Nath has talked me into one :)
I use a water bottle hopper jammed into a piece of mdf kept in place with everyones friend, "No more nails" works a treat. When the grain hits the rollers it kind if spreads out a little across the rollers. I doubt there would be much issue doing this.

Behold my fine craftsmanship. Still waiting on my Motiondynamics motor till I make a neat one, but Dad's 18V Milwaukee drill runs this abomination no worries. Had a PM asking for pics, so I'll post a few.
Mill.JPG
Millclose.JPG
Milltopclose.JPG

Edit: I use Liquid Nails to hold it on it's side like that

Back