Want To Buy A Grain Mill...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
White collar is some poly pipe (about 130mm) that was lying around. It's job is to be tall enough to keep the bottle opening off the rollers. Mill is bolted (1/4") to the bottom board only. No glue, only screws.

White collar is some poly pipe (about 130mm) that was lying around. It's job is to be tall enough to keep the bottle opening off the rollers. Mill is bolted (1/4") to the bottom board only. No glue, only screws.
Cool, what is the board it is sitting on?

3 quick questions re the mashmaster mini:
1. how long does it take you to mill 5kg of malted barley?
2. What is the biggest gap the mm mini can be set at?
3. Anyone tried milling corn? If so how did it go?

Cheers

Just got around to making up a proper, decent hopper for my MM2 today, during the 'quiet patches' at work. Used some offcuts from some Perspex and and old shelf, plus some powder coated Galv for the brackets, as well as inside the hopper itself to funnel the grain into the mill and not around the outside of the rollers.

I'm very pleased. Amazing what you can do when you have access to decent tools! Just have to silicone up the small gaps around the screws where the mill is mounted, and then attach to a board for now. Eventually looking to build an enclosure for this and drive it with an old dryer motor.

Full_View_Mill.jpg

Inside_Hopper.jpg

Closeup_Base.jpg

Cheers!

since everyone else is doing it..
mill2.jpg
All parts sourced from bunnings. 20mm pine base, storm water diverter and reducer shoved into another piece of pine ontop. I've modified it since then with a piece of hardwood between the rollers and the hopper base, the pine was being worn away by the grain.

Just bought my self a mashmaster mini mill, now to make a hopper.

Yeah i'm about to start on my hopper/milling station this weekend hopefully. Got a great idea for it too.

Found an old bedside set of drawers that we didn't need for the kids rooms. I've taken the drawers and sliders out, turned it upside down, and i'm gonna put in a hinged lid on the base which is hollow. The hinged lid will make access to adjust gap width easier.

I'm gonna use the drawers to create a hopper box, with a raised and sloped bottom to guide the grain down through the hinged lid and through the mill which will be attached under the lid, grain will fall into a bucket sitting inside the upside down chest of drawers.

Gonna put some casters on it too. I'm also gonna make a door to replace the drawer fronts to keep the dust isolated inside the station.
Bought a nice drill to run it on as power out in the shed is taken up with two elements heating my HLT, the tv for the footy (crucial for brewdays) ipod docking stations, and the obligatory three fridge setup. Didn't want to add to the power drain by motorising it. Also, the drill option means i can go around to my brewing mate's house for brewdays and use his (my old) mill to crush my double grain bills...

Will post pic's if i actually get it done, also working on my stirplate this weekend so it will be one or the other....

Can I con someone for exterior dimensions of a Crankandstein 2D (a 2 roller basically, I think they are all the same).

I basically need gap between mounting bolt holes. Dimensions of the two Aluminium plates and outside length of the mill along the rollers.

Plan is to draw up a plan for the sheetie before the mill arrives, I got shipping confirmation already :)

Would love to be a bit exact with things as we have sheetmetal bending machines so it can turn out quite pretty as long as I design it right.

Sorry on iPhone, ment to say just picked up one of those drills from trade tools direct for $78. Sweet!!!

Sorry on iPhone, ment to say just picked up one of those drills from trade tools direct for $78. Sweet!!!

haaaha..Thats funny bb, like,
Hello ladies, Im a premeture eje ....Oh! Oh! no I meant.Um. Hi Im daz. :lol:
Good luck with the build.
You may want to try delete button.
Daz

i started building my grain mill stand for my new millmaster minimill on the weekend
went the ozito spade handle 1050W 500rpm 13mm and it seems to handle it ok, has 3yr warranty from the big green shed....
will need to set the mill / drill up a bit better as when it cranks up it tries to use the mill as luanch pad and flip it over...

one issue i need to resolve in my current design is that grain can get around behind the rollers, i will glue in a bit of timber or use some ally to form a "grain guide" to stop this. but will maybe just redesign the whole thing as this was a bit dodge and used the hopper i knocked up for my pasta maker mill.
think i might go with a water cooler hopper or a thinner opening to the mill rollers.

third pic shows the crush
left side is the gap set to "just start to grab a little" my credit card
right side was a bit wider.

DSCF4812.JPG

DSCF4814.JPG

DSCF4821.JPG

I received my mini mill today, nice bit of kit, just got to get on and try and build a hopper

left side is the gap set to "just start to grab a little" my credit card .

There's your problem. You should have used your wife's or girlfriend's card instead of your own ! Lol

left side is the gap set to "just start to grab a little" my credit card .

There's your problem. You should have used your wife's or girlfriend's card instead of your own ! Lol

I'm just wondering if it would be a a waste of a mini mill if all the length of the rollers were not used, I'm thinking of using the water bottle hopper method which would only let out a small amount of grain.
Thanks Jason

Hey Jas,

Shouldn't be too hard to knock up a hopper mate.

real basic, there are some post here somewhere about it all. Get one of those water bottles, a piece of timber & put a hole in it, piece of piss

I'm just wondering if it would be a a waste of a mini mill if all the length of the rollers were not used, I'm thinking of using the water bottle hopper method which would only let out a small amount of grain.
Thanks Jason
Taking a guess, I reckon the trouble would be using a torqued up enough motor/drill to run slow enough for that much crushing. i.e., greater amount of grain weighing down on the rollers will need a more powerful drive. I bet the resistance to being milled will cause the grain to spread on the rollers anyway. Might be fine though, I'll experiment when it gets here... USPS website says it was shipped on 04 august.

Back