Volume In A 30l Fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6tri6ple6

Reaction score
Howdy all,
Just a quick question, and i apologise if this has been covered before.

What is maximum volume of wort recommended for a 30l fermenter? I want to up my batch size but i dont have the room for a 60l fermenter. I do have a blow off tube in the lid as well.

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers

Richard

i used to do 25lt batches and found that was good I prob wouldnt go higher then 27lts. Also if you do a big beer they can go nuts and need more headspace. You have a blow off tube so you should be fine

I dont think there would be any hard n fast rule...variables like top cropping yeast vrs lager yeast etc.
I use 23 ltr better bottles and always push 20-21 in them which leaves about 1.5>2inches of headspace. The Wyeast Ringwood ale blew its ass off for some very fine saved yeast, yet the Baltic Porter using a whole yeastcake of Brewlabs Bavarian had a look see at the exit blowout but was ok.

thanks for your replies.

I just figured that a fermenting beer may have still needed a reasonable amount if headspace even with a blow of tub

With the larger volume would i need a bigger bucket for the blow off tube. ive just got it in a flagon at the moment

I dont think there would be any hard n fast rule...variables like top cropping yeast vrs lager yeast etc.
I use 23 ltr better bottles and always push 20-21 in them which leaves about 1.5>2inches of headspace. The Wyeast Ringwood ale blew its ass off for some very fine saved yeast, yet the Baltic Porter using a whole yeastcake of Brewlabs Bavarian had a look see at the exit blowout but was ok.
G,day Hayse totally off topic, but i want to do a Baltic Porter,what recipe did you go buy!!!!????? any ideas?? :icon_offtopic:

Cheers Humulus

Cant see how you can fill almost to the top though.
Because unlike more 'typical' blow-off setups it will circulate the wort back into the fermentor, thus (as the article says) it works best when the fermetor is completely full.

I've done up to 28L before but it was a light beer so no overly big krausen. But like others advised, I wouldnt push it about 27L, it would be much safer to get a 60L vessel.

What type of fermentor is it? What type of beer is going in it? Which yeast? I wouldn't be filling my BrewCraft ones up past 25L, but the other ones I have, have got more head space over the 30L mark so......

Most I've done in is 25L I think, and it was touching cloth lid for the first few days.

just out of curiosity, does anyone have a 60L fermenter? How tall are they? Wide? Maybe it may fit in my ferment fridge....

just out of curiosity, does anyone have a 60L fermenter? How tall are they? Wide? Maybe it may fit in my ferment fridge....

just out of curiosity, original post says you dont have room for 60l fermenter and then your asking for dimensions.
what are you doing, filling cornies or bottling your brew. youll never fill 2 cornys with a 30l fermenter..

As Doug says, why do you want to up your batch size? e.g. 40 bottles instead of 30?
For filling 2 cornies you would need a 60L fermenter.

Mine is bout 700mm high and 380mm wide

As Doug says, why do you want to up your batch size? e.g. 40 bottles instead of 30?
For filling 2 cornies you would need a 60L fermenter.

thought i might fill a corny and bottle the rest. Anyone ever notice that when u brew good beer, everyone wants a sample?

Latest posts

Back