Vic Xmas 2009 Case Swap - Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One question to a few of you. Some of you have suggested you have not yet tasted your own beer. This surprises me a little. Do you do the same thing with comps (if you enter them that is)? The way I look at it, I like to know what I'm passing onto someone else so any infection problems, carb problem,s etc. get picked up. I know what my beer tastes like so I don't expect too many surprises when someone tastes it. Obviously there are more expert palates than mine that may pick up faults but I know it's carbed, I know it's not infected and I know it's representative of my brewing (for better or worse). It's the same when I cook - I taste as I go and I taste before I serve. How else do you know if it needs more salt? If I didn't have this attitude you'd all be drinking my cloudy, possibly infected and definitely not right pilsner.

This was my swap cherry popper though so maybe I'm missing something. Definitely curious though.
You're on the money with that Manticle. The swap was my 3rd in line for this swap, first didn't work out (but then it did, long story), second one I didn't get what I wanted out of it, and the third one was a tried and tested one, that I made sure I had at least half a keg before the day to know it was suitable.

You're on the money with that Manticle. The swap was my 3rd in line for this swap, first didn't work out (but then it did, long story),

What happened to brining along a bottle of that maple?

One of the difficulties of theses swaps in some respects is the output of some brewers is quite low over-all and if something isn't as expected, or turns south late, there is not really the opportunity to make another brew.

Part of the bad turns out to be a good chance for brewers who are less experienced to learn about how to make a better beer through tasting some examples that have issues. This is normal and a good thing IMO.

Sure, it would be awesome if we could all produce a super drop for these swaps and I'm sure that everyone who participates does try their best but there is also the temptation for many of us to try making something out of left field that we hope to be wonderful but have zero previous experience in producing.

It's all part of the fun. :D

Manticle

I could not agree more with your statement, not only should you know what you are giving somebody else to taste but you should now what you are entering in a comp. If its bad you still may enter it and hope for feed back on how to rectify a problem. Not just thats infected and cant be judged.

As a brewer we should be tasting the whole way through a brew from the grain to the mash to the wort to fermentation to the final product and during lager or maturation. Then and only then do you get respect for the flavours and were they are produced within the system. This is also important in picking where off flavours are attributed. This process also allows you to make changes on the spot in terms of carb or low/high gravity, attenuation etc.

Kleiny

One of the difficulties of theses swaps in some respects is the output of some brewers is quite low over-all and if something isn't as expected, or turns south late, there is not really the opportunity to make another brew.

Part of the bad turns out to be a good chance for brewers who are less experienced to learn about how to make a better beer through tasting some examples that have issues. This is normal and a good thing IMO.

Sure, it would be awesome if we could all produce a super drop for these swaps and I'm sure that everyone who participates does try their best but there is also the temptation for many of us to try making something out of left field that we hope to be wonderful but have zero previous experience in producing.

It's all part of the fun. :D

Not so much about a perfect or even super drop - god knows if any of mine have turned out super. It's more about knowing what you are putting in by tasting it yourself beforehand.

It's not really a massive criticism - anyone who enters a swap puts themselves and their brewing on the line for all to see and good on them for having a crack. I just personally couldn't contribute something blind (and to be honest one of the best beers I've tasted so far was made by someone who claims not to have tried the finished product). I realise people are limited by time etc (not least of all me). I'm just trying to understand a different mode of thinking.

# 10 - Robust Porter Judged against Cat 12B

Aroma: Chocolate, Toffee, Caramel initially - 10 minute interlude (putting the little one to bed as it warms) Rich Toastiness and even a slight hint of coffee in the nose. Amazing how this one gives up all these notes as it warms, very complex aroma. No hops detected in aroma, no phenolics detected either. 10/12

Appearance: Clear deep brown with Crimson tinge in the light. Tight compact head, tan colour, receeding - low retension 2/3

Flavour: Raosty with tannins coming into it. I get the Chocolate/Caramel coming through from the aroma into the taste as well. Nicely balanced - no cloying sweetness to speak of, very well attenuated. Earthy hop profile faint in the taste, but in teh background, and lends the right level of bitterness to this style. No off-flavours detected 16/20

Mouthfeel: Slightly astringent - can be picked up from dark roasted malts and accentuated from high temp sparging. some OK, but something to key in on. This was thinner in body than the aroma had lead me to believe, but still a medium level body. Dryness a nice finish with a low to moderate carb level. 3/5

Overall: some astringency picked up - watch your sparge temps, or perhaps try cold steeping black malt for similar desired effect. This was accentuated by the dryness in the finish, however it was backed-up with a good maltiness. use of hops contributes to the overall good balance of this example, well done. 7/10

Tally 38/50

Cheers.

Agree on the body - it needs a bit more. I think I oversparged this one as I slightly miscalculated the water amounts. That may also account for the astringency rather than the temps?

Pity about the head (mentioned in another review of this too) as I think it's an integral part to any english style. The testers I had prior to the swap seemed ok head wise so I'm not sure what's happened but I tried one last night and got the same problem: nice fluff that fizzled away to nothing in no time.

Didn't pick up the tannins but I have a couple of bottles left so I know what to look for when I crack them.

#6 CM2 Aussie Lager

The bottle I got was flat, poured from about 6inches away to get some "froth" that quickly dissipated (sp?). Was more of an amber than a pale lager IMO. Slight malt on the nose, onto the tongue the beer was quite warm with strong bitterness and barely any maltiness. I like a little less bitterness in my lagers, with a little more malt. As the glass warmed, the warmness turned "solventy" which detracted from the beer.

Wasn't what I was expecting, would probably taste a lot better with a higher level of carbonation (I expect this to be right at the next swap Brett :p )

Manticle, I just ran out of time, but the only taste I haven't had is carbonated/matured. Have tasted at bottling, yeast pitching etc so I know what it will be like. The beauty of plastic bottles is I know the carbonation was right when I boxed them as all the bottles were nice and firm, but not overly hard.

I agree that the swaps should be trying to showcase your best brews or maybe experiments/styles that others may not try themselves. Following that logic you should be testing your beer to make sure its good enough for the swap (ie at the top of your brewing capability, not compared to others brewing capability).

For example. I was testing my case swap to make sure it was ok. it tasted great out of the first keg. it doesnt seem to have made the transition well to bottle or from the 2nd keg. Now that's an issue for me to rectify but i at least know my beer was good enough to swap prior to bottling because i was testing it (PS im not kegging then bottling anymore as it doesnt keep the carbonation levels, you can all put up with sediment in your bottles from now on).

that being said im thinking im having another crack at this for next summer's swap and change the hop schedule as it seems to be throwing people and its certainly not to a bjcp style. but then again i was definitely not brewing to style. i was trying to push the boundaries with rice, nugget and POR flavouring/aroma.

edit: on a completely differant but slightly related topic. whilst cleaning out the chesty i tried my blended munich/english ale/RIS last night that i was going to bring to the swap (just 30ml worth). bloody nice. indeed not a session beer, but nice. might bring a couple bottles to next fornight's bjcp stout session.

edit: on a completely differant but slightly related topic. whilst cleaning out the chesty i tried my blended munich/english ale/RIS last night that i was going to bring to the swap (just 30ml worth). bloody nice. indeed not a session beer, but nice. might bring a couple bottles to next fornight's bjcp stout session.

BJCP is tonight mate... 1/12 - Stouts and Porters... bring it on...

hmm i thought tonight was a differant style. maybe i was looking at last fortnights. ok will bring tonight. blended beer arnt exactly within bcjp though. figured it would have to be entered into a comp under specialty beer.

edit: actually i was thinking of adding a smidge of black pepper or grains of paradise to it for some extra kick.

hmm i thought tonight was a differant style. maybe i was looking at last fortnights. ok will bring tonight. blended beer arnt exactly within bcjp though. figured it would have to be entered into a comp under specialty beer.

You dont have to tell them :) If the glove fits, drop it in the style thats appropriate, it doesnt necessarily have to be a specialty. I'd probably place it in the strong stout category going from what you have blended as a guess.

RE: Not tasting my own beers.

I brewed 60-70 litres, so I have actually drank 2 kegs of this already. Out of the keg, I liked it, and it was not infected. However, I have not yet tried the bottled version. These have been carbed up with the carbonation lollies, and will therefore taste different from my kegged version.

So, it's just that I have not yet tried the bottle version that I have handed out. I do have some at home and was planning on trying them before the swap to check carbonation levels, but haven't gotten around to it.

Ah, actually, I just realised that this was in a 23 litre fermenter, whereas what I've drank was all in a 60 litre fermentor, so there is that slight difference too. However, they sat next to each other, and copped the same temps.

Also, i did taste after brewing, and then after fermentation, before bottling. Just have not yet tried the carbed up version (out of this fermentor).

I've been a little sick the last week, but will endevour to try one tonight, just to see EXACTLY what I've given out to people! And looking forward to getting my swap off 4* at some point...

Oh, and, Manticle, I'm glad you liked it!!!

I had your beer last night and agree with Manticle. It was a really nicely flavoured beer Beer Dingo. Well done!

Thanks Brewmeister70, glad it's being enjoyed!

4* tomorrow might be OK, can you PM me your number, and I'll call ya around 5:30ish tomorrow to organize a time.

BJCP is tonight mate... 1/12 - Stouts and Porters... bring it on...

Non attendee tonight :(

Ive got a night shift overtime so the money pushes me there, Im not happy it is stout night but as i really like the stouts and porters.

Kleiny

Non attendee tonight
Ive got a night shift overtime so the money pushes me there, Im not happy it is stout night but as i really like the stouts and porters.
Kleiny

Bummer compadre! I'd say i'll drink your share tonight but unfortuantly im driving. :(

#2 Maple - Rye-IPA

Pours with a dense creamy head that thins but remains and laces the glass.

Colour is golden amber. Hazy.

Aroma is almost orange and nuts.

Carbonation level is spot on for me. Sherberty rather than fizzy or gassy with a tingle on the tongue at the finish.

Flavour is wow. I really like this beer. I think the bitterness, hop fruitiness and malt are really nicely balanced and there's a real difference to this beer. I'm guessing it's the rye.

It reminds me a lot of the first all amarillo american brown that I did that hit the nail on the head with bitterness and hop flavour and an underlying nuttiness from the malts. This is a better beer but I've been struggling to repeat the exact balance in subsequent brews (the first was due to an accident, a rebrew and a blend so it's hard to repeat or calculate the amounts).

Really nice this one. Mandarins, nuts, oranges and something else. Would be a great christmas beer. However I think there may be a problem with some of the others in the swap so everyone should send their bottles to me for inspection.

Back