Vic Case Swap Equipment....ongoing..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On mobile but check out 'Another Arduino controller' thread. Mr Wibble wrote an absolutely A1 program controlled by an encoder and all GUI. It's brilliant except for some screen issues I'm getting. It will work fine for what we need it for.

Boil all strike water night before, hell we were still up at one last time, temp at kick off would still be in the 50/60's.

^+1. If we could wrap the kettle in a blanket or 2 before bed I reckon this is the simplest, fail safe option.
Without blanket, likely to still be ~50*C by morning, but blanket should guarantee it being nice and high, ready for mashing in.
2c

Wow husky, I have only just seen this. Awesome work on the kettle! Absolutely magic!

I have a very large SS conical (~1000 litres) that I will have to talk to you about modifying and then we would have a matching HLT.

The three issues last time were ramping 500-600 litres of near frozen mash, only have two 10 amp outlets for the HEXs and relying on a timer (that didn't work) to start heating at 6am (rather than the time we noticed it didn't start - 9am). The lessons were, don't do a cold mash, have more than two 10 amp outlets, and KISS. As Nath mentioned, Mr Cockup hasn't missed a swap in a long time.

Ideally we want to mash in at 60 for a 55 rest. In July, we will be doing this with an instant hot water service. With regards to outlets, you really want at least 4x 10 amp outlets, ideally on two separate circuits. Keeping things nice a simple helps too, in the past we have used STC-1000s for running the HEXs, my preference is to upgrade these to PIDs with SSDs but I would need someone to design this for me, as I have no idea (similar to Wiggman's). PM me if you are game.

idzy said:
Wow husky, I have only just seen this. Awesome work on the kettle! Absolutely magic!

I have a very large SS conical (~1000 litres) that I will have to talk to you about modifying and then we would have a matching HLT.

The three issues last time were ramping 500-600 litres of near frozen mash, only have two 10 amp outlets for the HEXs and relying on a timer (that didn't work) to start heating at 6am (rather than the time we noticed it didn't start - 9am). The lessons were, don't do a cold mash, have more than two 10 amp outlets, and KISS. As Nath mentioned, Mr Cockup hasn't missed a swap in a long time.

Ideally we want to mash in at 60 for a 55 rest. In July, we will be doing this with an instant hot water service. With regards to outlets, you really want at least 4x 10 amp outlets, ideally on two separate circuits. Keeping things nice a simple helps too, in the past we have used STC-1000s for running the HEXs, my preference is to upgrade these to PIDs with SSDs but I would need someone to design this for me, as I have no idea (similar to Wiggman's). PM me if you are game.

Idzy,
I'll be bring up a controller, has PID with auto tune, set up to control mash and HLT temps and mash pump, with automagic step temps, I expect to be knocking out a fair few of these, also has wifi with web interface, I'll bring one to the swap, just as long as china's postal system don't hold things up too much. The one I'll bring will only have 2x 40amp SSR's, I'm looking at my final box having 3x SSR's, Might even be able to rig an extra non control web page so any of the lads can check on progress from any phone or tablet through out the day.

MartinOC said:
Man, that's almost magical!

You have self-animated blankets & tape that quacks??
I thought these came standard with every seventh consecutive pint of Belgian consumed. Surely you have at least as many as I????

TheWiggman said:
What do you plug that thing into?
If this was regarding my post, I use the 40amp SSR's as standard, purely to ensure they're over rated. The controller I'll bring up has two 10amp inlets (sockets rated to 20amp each) I guess you could run 20amp per if you had the power available. Then 3 similarly rated outlets, one for pump, one mash and one HLT. My final version will have an extra inlet and outlet to allow either a double element for either the HLT or MLT, I'll be building this towards the end of the year.

Okie dokes. I ask because my unit has a 15A plug and 2 x 15A sockets but 2 40A SSRs. It'll need a single 15A power source. All depends on what idzy has on his walls.

My plan down the track is to fire burners not elements, that is the relays open solenoids to fire various burners, therefore 1 mash and 1 HLT will draw less than 2 or 3 amps including 2x pumps. It'll be a hybrid of where the current controller is heading.

husky said:
This is the one I'm looking at claimed 320,000BTU:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111903985241?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The same looking one available at Auscrown but 1/3 the rating? 118Mj/hr = 113,000BTU/hr?
https://www.auscrown.com.au/products/product/32-jet-mongolian-burner-lp-gas

Anyone know anything about these? They look to be low pressure burners but claim a high output, was thinking I need a med or high pressure burner but cant find anything around the same claimed 320,000BTU.
Anyone got ideas on burners to boil a 900L kettle?

Pic below of where the BFK is at.
Added valves to allow 2 x outlets for filling 2 x cubes at a time.
Also has 2 x inlets we could connect 2 x pumps to and do a whirlpool, not sure how successful this would be but would like to try.
Added a lid.
Atted temp gauge
Working on a height adjustable bar that I can bolt a couple of burners to.
Still need to acid the welds and remove the PVC from the outside.

Crazy busy at work currently so have not re visited a grant to ramp mash temps but will get some free time in a couple of weeks may do something.

20170520_100930.jpg

Attachments

• 20170520_100930.jpg
    20170520_100930.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 59
DIY Burner? From memory there's a few clips on YouTube of home made jobs.... I was considering it till I scored a spiral burner off eBay for $10
She'll be right mate, safe as houses

Husky, I don't know if you should be awarded a medal or immediately committed to a local asylum.

Either way, that boiler is a thing of beauty & should definitely be given a run.

Surely, if we were sober enough we could get two runs out of thew weekend?

Yeah ok I've had a few, .... one run it is!

malt junkie said:
Surely, if we were sober enough we could get two runs out of the weekend?
Consider yourself Cyber-Spanked for considering such a riotously ridiculous suggestion.

Sober?? On a Case Swap weekend? Bah! Humbug!

malt junkie said:
Surely, if we were sober enough we could get two runs out of thew weekend?

Yeah ok I've had a few, .... one run it is!
Completely agree, thus it will never happen.

Back