Vic 2017 Xmas Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For mine,
we have the big brew in the bag, it seems now par for the course, that what is aimed at we hit or so close it's not a discussion. Perhaps we continue the dogs breakfast but aim out side the box and maybe slightly smaller.
I know a lot of us are truly impressed with the offerings from AJ80 etal, I say we head down the path of a second smaller brew (<200L) specifically aimed at the sour end of town. Also that EVERY cuber bring 1.5L of their cube to the next swap (if they attend) for others to sample. We learn from each other, the mystical powers of yeasts and bugs should be shared with all.

2c

MJ

For mine,
we have the big brew in the bag, it seems now par for the course, that what is aimed at we hit or so close it's not a discussion. Perhaps we continue the dogs breakfast but aim out side the box and maybe slightly smaller.
Yes

I know a lot of us are truly impressed with the offerings from AJ80 etal, I say we head down the path of a second smaller brew (<200L) specifically aimed at the sour end of town....
Yeah, ... but no.

... Also that EVERY cuber bring 1.5L of their cube to the next swap (if they attend) for others to sample. We learn from each other, the mystical powers of yeasts and bugs should be shared with all.
Definitely agree.

[emoji1]

Attendees

1. Idzy
2. Technobabble66
3. Mardoo
4. JB
5. Sleeping beauty
69. DJ_L3thAL
7. Reardo
8. Nullnvoid
9. AJ80
10. Whiteferret
11.GrumpyPaul
12. MartinOC
13. Malt junkie
14. VP Brewing
15. mmmyummybeer
16. Bigchamp
17. TheWiggman
18. Mofox1
19. droid
20. Husky
21. Laxation
22. Midnight Brew

Cubists

1. Idzy
2. Technobabble66
3. Mardoo
4. DJ_L3thAL
5. JB
6. Sleeping beauty
7. Reardo
8. Nullnvoid
9. AJ80
10. Whiteferret
11.GrumpyPaul
12. MartinOC
13. VP Brewing
14. mmmyummybeer
15. Bigchamp
16. TheWiggman
17. Mofox1
18. Husky
19. droid
20. Laxation
21. Midnight Brew

Swappers

1. Idzy
2. Mardoo
3. Technobabble66
4. DJ_L3thAL
5. JB
6. Sleepy beauty
7. Reardo
8. Nullnvoid
9. AJ80
10. Whiteferret
11.GrumpyPaul
12. MartinOC
13. VP Brewing
14. Mmmyummybeer
15. Bigchamp
16. TheWiggman
17. Mofox1
18. Husky
19. droid
20. Laxation
21. Midnight Brew
22.Malt Junkie
23. TSMILL

Hope I did that right.....technologically limited.

For mine,

In agreement with the first bit, I'd advocate a bigger beer for the Saturday; then maybe a lighter one for the Friday, like a 4-5%-er. I have doubts a mild would work well because of the need to more rapidly shift mash through the sacch steps, but ~4.5-5% of something English, Amber or Pacific might be nice. I'm really thinking of the time constraint- ie: set up Friday arvo, maybe don't mash in until 6-7pm, makes for a long night if it's a bigger/complex beer.

I s'pose conversely we could do a big/complex beer, but just look at cubing into smaller 10L cubes (to keep the mash & boil volume smaller, hence quicker).

Yeah, ... but no.
[emoji1]
I feel where your coming from, for some beers the process, risk and extended aging and cross contamination are daunting, the other side of the coin is we have some serious sours turning up at the next few swaps and we have brewers extending their knowledge and braking out of a comfort zone.
Fark...imagine the size of the bag if you did do BIAB in the BFK
GP you know we're all over the big batch, hell why not do it 1V!!! BTW your lifting the bag!:bowdown:

I feel where your coming from, for some beers the process, risk and extended aging and cross contamination are daunting, the other side of the coin is we have some serious sours turning up at the next few swaps and we have brewers extending their knowledge and braking out of a comfort zone.
Yeah, i suppose so long as it's soured by fermentation rather than in the kettle, it probably doesn't matter anyway (which i *believe* AJ does it via the fermentation to get a smoother sour; as opposed to soured in kettle).
That way, if peeps want a sour, they throw in the appropriate bugs, and if you don't then just ferment as per normal.

Not that i'm totally against sours. As you say, the sours turning up to the Swaps have been fantastic. However, i've tried some others (esp commercials) that haven't been great, and generally just aren't interested in going down that path yet. The Mildy Boys Flanders Red from the 2014 Xmas Swap at idzy's is still one of the best beers i've ever had, so maybe one day i'll give it a crack :cool:

There are a few different souring methods, we could include 2 or three of these with th recipe.

EG. pitch bugs for 24-36h reboil add hops chill and ferment or use specific blend , WLP665 WLP630 etc

Adding fruit, ferment temps etc etc will have significant effects, and we should see a good variety of differing beers form the same batch.

Attendees

1. Idzy
2. Technobabble66
3. Mardoo
4. JB
5. Sleeping beauty
69. DJ_L3thAL
7. Reardo
8. Nullnvoid
9. AJ80
10. Whiteferret
11.GrumpyPaul
12. MartinOC
13. Malt junkie
14. VP Brewing
15. mmmyummybeer
16. Bigchamp
17. TheWiggman
18. Mofox1
19. droid
20. Husky
21. Laxation
22. Midnight Brew
23. Dr_Rocks

Cubists

1. Idzy
2. Technobabble66
3. Mardoo
4. DJ_L3thAL
5. JB
6. Sleeping beauty
7. Reardo
8. Nullnvoid
9. AJ80
10. Whiteferret
11.GrumpyPaul
12. MartinOC
13. VP Brewing
14. mmmyummybeer
15. Bigchamp
16. TheWiggman
17. Mofox1
18. Husky
19. droid
20. Laxation
21. Midnight Brew
22. Dr_Rocks

Swappers

1. Idzy
2. Mardoo
3. Technobabble66
4. DJ_L3thAL
5. JB
6. Sleepy beauty
7. Reardo
8. Nullnvoid
9. AJ80
10. Whiteferret
11.GrumpyPaul
12. MartinOC
13. VP Brewing
14. Mmmyummybeer
15. Bigchamp
16. TheWiggman
17. Mofox1
18. Husky
19. droid
20. Laxation
21. Midnight Brew
22.Malt Junkie
23. TSMILL
24. Dr_Rocks

Be gentle it's my first time..

Yeah, i suppose so long as it's soured by fermentation rather than in the kettle, it probably doesn't matter anyway (which i *believe* AJ does it via the fermentation to get a smoother sour; as opposed to soured in kettle).
That way, if peeps want a sour, they throw in the appropriate bugs, and if you don't then just ferment as per normal.

Not that i'm totally against sours. As you say, the sours turning up to the Swaps have been fantastic. However, i've tried some others (esp commercials) that haven't been great, and generally just aren't interested in going down that path yet. The Mildy Boys Flanders Red from the 2014 Xmas Swap at idzy's is still one of the best beers i've ever had, so maybe one day i'll give it a crack :cool:

This is a tricky one techno. I've done both and have had cracking examples of both (JB's raspberry Berliner at this swap is a case in point of an excellent kettle soured beer). You're right though, I've had a few Aussie commercial kettle soured beers that had been downright awful.

From my own experiences only, a kettle sour will give a really nice, clean and refreshing, but 'simple' acidity. Quick turnaround and no need for separate 'sour' gear are other positives. That said, not sure if we've got the patience to kettle sour in the BFK for 24-48 hours! A mixed fermentation however gives me a more complex acidity and introduces funk from the brettanomyces. This takes much longer and you probably should have a second set of plastic gear dedicated to it.

Sour isn't for everyone, but I reckon everyone should try and have a crack at it if their keen. A swap beer sour batch would certainly get my vote if enough peeps were keen!

Do we have enough gear to do a small simultaneous sour brew in the "small" 200lt kettle - almost a demo brew for those that are interested in kettle souring to see how it all works.
small batch, small cubes say to 10-15L each, a flanders or berliner to kick things off.

No I'm not putting my hand up! (at least till my ankle goes down)

Back