Vic 2017 Xmas Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing for sure, you brewers really have got it all together. From where I sit, top brewing setups, top brews, top food and top hosts.
Me and the old man could have sat under the shade of a coolabah tree - drinking, talking cars and reminiscing about old times.

Boy oh boy, where to begin.

Pre-History:
Idzy and Husky: your passions and enthusiasm about brewing have resulted in significant equipment investments which make these days run so smooth and result in wort from everyone. Again I echo what others have said but you blokes don't do anything in halves!
Madhu (and the same applies to Yob): your curiosities and tinkering with this system are able to achieve both delicious beer but keep the day as simple as possible. Thank you for running trials batches and dialling in the recipe.
MartinOC and alter ego: allowing us to mill the grain and sourcing our ingredients goes along way in aiding us to get the order in time and letting us mill at the closest possible moment for the brew day. Thank you again for your consistent dedication to the home-brew community and quality feedback. (also thanks for the decades old beer.
Hidden figure Wayne the white ferret, always able to lend a hand and haul equipment all over Victoria in the name of brewing. I was stoked that all that you had to bring was a swag and your brew knowledge.

The Weekend:
JB, Mike and the Mule: Thanks for lending a hand in grain milling and setting up things before the masses arrived. Nothing quiet like a sneaky beer while setting up and preparing for the weekend to make sure everyone had a hand carting stuff in.
Dr Rocks (Ben fro Bendigo, still gives me a chuckle), that brisket mate, everyone was talking about it. Good call on the extra smoker and the end result was loved by everyone. I fear I fell behind a tad on drinking activities and should have eaten a heap more to keep up with everyone else brisket filled bellies. Mum and Dad are stoked with the leftovers. The Sunday breaky was perfect for lining the stomachs of everyone before the big drive, thanks yet again.
AJ: sourcing the bread for breaky, lunch, dinner and breaky, we still had leftovers which was well planned. The coleslaw side batch you mad me saved me yesterday afternoon. I had halve Saturday night and half last night. Should of scoffed it all down Saturday, I think I would of been still kicking for a few extra hours.
MJ: Breaky Chief Saturday, superb job in feeding the masses in preparation for the big day, all stems from a big meal.
Jonnyoid: That coffee machine was an excellent addition that played a big role in the getting the day started. After that double shot you gave me, well lets say it was a three flush job. Coffee was a huge success, loved your work and dedication to rising early to kick the caffeine.
DJ Nath3l: Showed up for three hours, cooked everyone lunch, powered through to say hello and have a chat and a beer with everyone before attending prior commitments. Mate, thank you for committing to your role, wish we got to have a chat and laugh. Certainly we'll make up for it.
Russvoid: Nailed the head brewer position. Delegated effectively and remained on top of it. Big thanks to co-ordinating the day and the pre-organisation that went into the event.
Heath and Martin: The gas bottle was crucial addition, thanks for transporting and letting us borrow, huge money saver and we were almost covered.
Danscraft: That chilli sauce is going to be a welcome addition to my diet, cannot wait to put to good use. Your beer really hit a note with my old man, I think it goes without saying, his favourite home brew ever. Also thank you for brining rhizomes for everyone.
Micbrew and Laxation (we up to 4 Michaels now?) always ready to go and ready to help. Many hands make light work and you were both always in the right spot for a lift, carry, pour, squeeze, seal.

Bruce and Sharon were really happy with how the entire weekend flowed, there was little to no mess considering the torrential downpour on Friday night, the pizza station worked a treat. We sacrificed a little of the lawn but all in the name of Thunder Ale. The campsite/land worked wonderfully with access, plenty of room cars and zero mess. My old man had a ball, he slowly recovered yesterday and kept telling me about who he spoke to and the array of beers he tried. I think the fire up the back, Danny's Whitehorse Ale and the old albums really hit a key in his heart. He even outlasted me on Saturday night! With the Swap being so successful, we now have this venue lined up for future Summer swaps.

In summary, I had more fun this weekend than Bob Seger did in the backseat of his '60 Chevy. If I recall correctly, Summer 2018 will either be at MartinOC's or back here. Thank you everyone for making it so smooth to run and keeping the hosts happy. Look forward to the next swap!

I probably shouldn't have perused this thread, got mega-jealous at the obvious good times being had. Family comes first however and I'm 100% aiming to be there in July.
On another note I'm still willing to hold the event at my joint in the Victorian-esque town of Corowa next Christmas as discussed at the last swap. I'm working on getting a shed together by then (currently it's a paddock) but should I have any council issues we'll need a plan B. Shed will be fully concreted, 14 x 8m with 3 phase power. At the very least I'm hoping to have a large concrete slab with the power available and enough tent real estate to cater for an Elvis impersonator concert.

Excellent write up cam, i wouldn't know what else to add to that!
Big thanks to you for hosting, to all those who slaved away on the beer for us all, and everyone who helped out to make it a great weekend by bringing food, beer, coffee and just your good selves!

How the hell did I miss this thread:question:

To preci/echo all the sentiments above, thanks to everyone for their contributions of every magnitude over the weekend.

This time around (& particularly on a personal level), it was really appreciated to be able to just turn-up late, eat magnificent food, do bugger-all in the humidity & just veg-out in the company of my friends, with no specific responsibility, effort or thought required. It was a welcome change & I REALLY needed it. Thanks.

'Promise to get my hands dirty on the next one.

Latest posts

Back