Vic 2017 Xmas Case Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From past swaps we have had heaps of kegs to sample from .. and sometimes you can grab a spot in someone else's set up.
But yeah ..ice & a bucket of sort is prooly a good idea :):)

Yoga mat wrap the top of the keg and sit the bottom 1/3rd in esky/ice and it stays ice cold all day as the bottom half is where the flow of beer comes from and as it empties the gas space above it auto-insulating [emoji3]

@laxation, there's generally a good spread of beers, but it's also a bit of pot luck.
Last one seemed to have few IPAs but the one before that had plenty, plus lots of RIS. Lots.
Fwiw, even if there are other IPAs there, it can be great to compare the differences in hops, grists & yeasts.
Basically just try to bring a beer you think is good (for you) regardless of what it is.
I'll possibly be bringing an Aussie Alt/Bitter, that may not be great, and maybe my result from Rusty's RyeAPA, if that helps.

Will there be a way to keep kegs cold? do we just chuck them in a big esky and keep it iced up?

With my beer taps being out of action I'll have almost full keg of black ipa or bribie's 4pines copy to bring.
If anyone else is bringing something, it'd be good to know what to help me choose one (eg. don't want to bring the ipa if there are going to be lots of strong beers on a hot day)

There's a 3 tap keezer and 4 tap miracle box here so there should be plenty of cold beer. Bring whatever you like, infected intended or not. Sometimes it's good to bring an infected bottle just to get some feedback from other brewers of what it might be or where you make improvements.

... like "don't let your beer get infected" or "improve your sanitation". Solid advice from experienced* brewers. We're good like that.
[emoji1]

* experienced = have brewed beer before [emoji57]

* experienced = have brewed beer before
emoji57.png
Glad you didn't throw any weight behind previous brews being some what successful or not.

Swappers

1. Idzy
2. Mardoo - Treacle Stout - Drink now or later. Now, the treacle is interesting with the hops. Later, all will balance out.
3. Technobabble66 - Rezza Bitter (WLP-059) 4.6%, drink now, but maybe leave an extra week.
4. DJ_L3thAL - Macleod Bitter (WLP059) 4.8%, drink now.
5. JB - Sticke 'em up! 6.5% drink 2018
6. Micbrew
9. AJ80
10. Whiteferret
12. malt mule Offensive summer stout 7%
15. Mofox1
16. Husky
17. droid - Belgian Wit
18. Laxation - Xmas Ale, 6.7%. OK to drink now, but intended for Christmas onwards
19. Midnight Brew
20. Malt Junkie- Raspberry wheat 5.5%
21. TSMILL - half biere de garde 7.5%, half saison 8%
22. Dr_Rocks - Igneous American Pale Ale (US-05) 4.5%, drink from 9th December (will bottle 18th Nov)
23. Danscraftbeer
24. (donation)

Attendees

1. Idzy
2. Technobabble66
3. Mardoo
4. JB
5. Micbrew
69. DJ_L3thAL
8. Nullnvoid
9. AJ80
10. Whiteferret
11.GrumpyPaul
12. MartinOC
13. Malt junkie
18. Mofox1
19. droid
20. Husky
21. Laxation
22. Midnight Brew
23. Dr_Rocks
24. Grott
25. Danscraftbeer

Cubists

1. Idzy
2. Technobabble66
3. Mardoo
4. DJ_L3thAL
5. JB
6. Micbrew
7. Reardo
8. Nullnvoid
9. AJ80
10. Whiteferret
11.GrumpyPaul
12. MartinOC
13. Bigchamp
14. Mofox1
15. Husky
16. droid
17. Laxation
18. Midnight Brew
19. Dr_Rocks
20. Danscraftbeer
21. MJ 2 x12??
22. Dr_Rocks (picking up for a mate)
23.Mardoo (OK, maybe just one more)

OK guys, I have a final cube cost. We ended up going through Clever Brewing for grain, hops and yeast nutrient. Gotta support the folks who support the community, ay? It's not as cheap as I was hoping, but you can't always get bulk buy prices :) It'll be $27.50 per cube, which allows for grain, bittering hops, yeast nutrient, gas, water and electricity. I'm bringing some Brewbrite.

We need final cube numbers ASAP, so if this changes any of your minds, please adjust accordingly. I'll close the cube count tomorrow night, and Russ will send out PM's with his banking details.

This is really getting to the point that we should set up an account with Bintani, buy the equipment off Idzy and Husky, and take out stock in an LPG company.

MrDoo if I don't manage to get there on the day an I allowed to grab a cube?

I know protocol would normally be cubes for those that actually turn up. So I'm ok with deleting me of the cube list.. But if your going to have more cubes than attendees I'd love to get one.

MrDoo if I don't manage to get there on the day an I allowed to grab a cube?

I know protocol would normally be cubes for those that actually turn up. So I'm ok with deleting me of the cube list.. But if your going to have more cubes than attendees I'd love to get one.

I'll field this one.

I think as have more cubes than people wanting them you can have a cube.

We are actually in a good place at the moment where the output is bigger than we have ever had thanks to the BFK and so it allows for heaps more cubes.

I'll field this one.

I think as have more cubes than people wanting them you can have a cube.

We are actually in a good place at the moment where the output is bigger than we have ever had thanks to the BFK and so it allows for heaps more cubes.
You're the best brew master every Russ.

I'll do my best to drop on on the day for a bit if I can.

Mardoo. I'll drop a cube at yours someone beforehand.

Thanks boys

Missed the cube removal. Bigchamp and I are now off.

Swappers

1. Idzy
2. Mardoo - Treacle Stout - Drink now or later. Now, the treacle is interesting with the hops. Later, all will balance out.
3. Technobabble66 - Rezza Bitter (WLP-059) 4.6%, drink now, but maybe leave an extra week.
4. DJ_L3thAL - Macleod Bitter (WLP059) 4.8%, drink now.
5. JB - Sticke 'em up! 6.5% drink 2018
6. Micbrew
9. AJ80
10. Whiteferret
12. malt mule Offensive summer stout 7%
15. Mofox1
16. Husky
17. droid - Belgian Wit
18. Laxation - Xmas Ale, 6.7%. OK to drink now, but intended for Christmas onwards
19. Midnight Brew
20. Malt Junkie- Raspberry wheat 5.5%
21. TSMILL - half biere de garde 7.5%, half saison 8%
22. Dr_Rocks - Igneous American Pale Ale (US-05) 4.5%, drink from 9th December (will bottle 18th Nov)
23. Danscraftbeer
24. (donation)

Attendees

1. Idzy
2. Technobabble66
3. Mardoo
4. JB
5. Micbrew
69. DJ_L3thAL
8. Nullnvoid
9. AJ80
10. Whiteferret
11.GrumpyPaul
12. MartinOC
13. Malt junkie
18. Mofox1
19. droid
20. Husky
21. Laxation
22. Midnight Brew
23. Dr_Rocks
24. Grott
25. Danscraftbeer

Cubists

1. Idzy
2. Technobabble66
3. Mardoo
4. DJ_L3thAL
5. JB
6. Micbrew
8. Nullnvoid
9. AJ80
10. Whiteferret
11.GrumpyPaul
12. MartinOC
14. Mofox1
15. Husky
16. droid
17. Laxation
18. Midnight Brew
19. Dr_Rocks
20. Danscraftbeer
21. MJ 2 x12??
22. Dr_Rocks (picking up for a mate)
23.Mardoo (OK, maybe just one more)

Pardon the ignorance of a first timer, but given there are 5 empty spots in the swap list, does that mean I need to provide 18 beers total?

Pardon the ignorance of a first timer, but given there are 5 empty spots in the swap list, does that mean I need to provide 18 beers total?
I'd still stick to the 24. Last time we had extras and just shared them around so you still take home 24.
2 of a kind or whatever. Or just take home what doesn't get taken.

You're the best brew master every Russ.

I'll do my best to drop on on the day for a bit if I can.

Mardoo. I'll drop a cube at yours someone beforehand.

Thanks boys

One day you will have to come to one of these things proper he says cheekily :).

Or perhaps a surcharge for non attendees :)

BTW, I'll only be at the swap for a limited time on Saturday, as I'm starting my new job Saturday evening. Boohoo! Then again, I'm starting a new job at Forager's Drop. Woohoo! Will probably come for the morning startup of the brew.

Back