Vessel Volume markers or measurement

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SNippets01

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a BIAB set up with 40L SS pot and ball valve tap.

I would like to know how you all either:

1) Put in volume markers on your pots or vessels. Or

2) Measure your volumes during your brewing process for BIAB

Normally i just measure out my starting volume, check my gravity readings during the process and if necessary adjust the boil timing to suit the beer and how it is tracking.

I've found a few issues with my set up which i'm in the process of finding bits to fix (3-ring burner not enough grunt with standard reg), so I am able to get some consistency.

My last few brews have had my OG's significantly low and just want to be able to nail it every time without much mucking around, measuring my liquid volume is one thing i'm not doing at the moment.

I recently got 2 weldless sight gauges from brewhardware.com
Very nice, easy to install i think it was a 12.5mm hole drilled in the pot. Once installed you measure out the liquid and stick on the markings.

Postage form the USA is expensive and slow, only downside :(

You could make your own version of the level guages in Superoo's link. Ideally it would be made of something safe for the boil and also easily sanitisable for cold side applications. The link says they're "quite accurate" but that would depend on how straight you held it I guess, so a home-made one would probably be just as accurate in the end.

Cheers Verysupple,

The gauges are as accurate as the dimensions supplied for the kettle.
As far as holding them vertically, well you'd have to have it on a fair angle to create enough error to cause a problem.

They are food grade plastic.

Also, they're not designed to be left in the wort or immersed in there. You simply put the bottom edge at the top of the wort, then read the Litres at the top edge of your kettle.

Sight gauges can be a pain to keep clean as well, I made the urn gauges to keep it simple.

Cheers,
Chris

I use a strip of stainless steel which I marked using a Dremel to engrave the quantities on.
The gauge is bent over at the top so it clips on the rim of the pot.
I did have a sight gauge but it was just something else that had to be cleaned so I got rid of it.
Cheers...spog...

I used to have a bit or timber dowel marked in 5lt increments, havnt bothered to re make one for the new system... I even have a bit of flat laying about that would easily do the job.. I just trust that the volumes I add are right (HLTis very well marked).. Different system, sure, but if you know what your losses are its easy to adjust at the start.. Ive now one less thing to clean too ;)

My pot has straight walls so I bought a stainless steel ruler and with the diameter measurement I can work out the volume easily by seeing how deep the liquid is then doing some maths to find the volume.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, basically i didn't want to engrave or mark the inside of my pot.

Next train of thought was a sight gauge but i agree with a few of you that it is another fiddly thing to clean.

I'll probably make up a dip-stick like a few guys have, which seems to be the easiest/cheapest and simplest option.

spog said:
I use a strip of stainless steel which I marked using a Dremel to engrave the quantities on.
The gauge is bent over at the top so it clips on the rim of the pot.
I did have a sight gauge but it was just something else that had to be cleaned so I got rid of it.
Cheers...spog...
This is exactly what I have done except I haven't gotten around to engraving it yet - just nicko pen markings.

A dowel/strick/ruler is still another thing to clean though? Granted, easier than a sight glass.

Personally I did make a dowel up, then thought F-it as I was not confident it would remain clean and would absorb wort/PBW/sanitizer and risky to use it post-boil. So I just use a cube to weigh on bathroom scales my strike water, any batch sparging I do is measured in the kitchen with an accurate 1L jug.

I have a 6L (yes, I know, it's a lot) loss in the keggle due to the tap height, so by adjusting my starting volume to aim for a full 23L cube without needing to tilt the keggle I am fine tuning my standard recipe volumes. Heaps simpler if looking for repeat-ability, although I suppose it would be nice to have the ability to measure the pre-boil volume as currently I rely on the default Brewmate figures for grain absorption which is known to vary.

I just made a couple of dipsticks which are from aluminium and hang over the top of the vessel to be measured.

I marked them by adding 1 litre at a time and using a dremel to create the mark.

2 dip sticks.jpg

dicko said:
I just made a couple of dipsticks which are from aluminium and hang over the top of the vessel to be measured.

I marked them by adding 1 litre at a time and using a dremel to create the mark.

attachicon.gif
2 dip sticks.jpg
Nice, although problem for us keggle owners is you have the lip where the keggle has been cut open in the way for the strip to hang vertically off of the upper handle rim. Perhaps a dip stick that you place in the bottom centre is the best option for keggle volume measurement.

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Nice, although problem for us keggle owners is you have the lip where the keggle has been cut open in the way for the strip to hang vertically off of the upper handle rim. Perhaps a dip stick that you place in the bottom centre is the best option for keggle volume measurement.
This is what I did in a keggle. I just made it from aluminium flat bar and fitted it to the keggle with a s steel screw and nut. And yes aluminium is food safe.

post-6-1088174925.jpg

dicko said:

attachicon.gif
2 dip sticks.jpg
I remember this pic being posted before, I had thought/hoped when Superoo first posted his measures that he had done something similar in SS and laser etched.

A few pics,image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
I haven't marked the dip stick with texta or paints because I was worried it may cause contamination.
The markings are not that clear but you soon get used to your system and can see at a glance what is going on.
I used the same idea as Dicko when marking levels,position the dip stick and start filling the keggle and marking amounts as I filled it.
Cheers....spog....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 27
1m steel rule worked well for me for BIAB. It worked out to about 10mm per 1 or 2 litres IIRC. I use it occasionally for checking post boil volumes on the HERMS kettle but mainly just trust in the HLT sight glass and brewing software. 'What goes in must come out' works for me most of the time.

@DJ_Lethal - 6L deadspace? Are you using a dip tube? My kettle pickup rests on the outer bottom edge of the keggle and tends to leave only a couple of litres.

No there wasn't one attached when I grabbed the keggle, that would really help actually as the trub sits in the centre and I usually to get a bit more into the cube tilt the keggle so the wort around the edges of the whirlpool cone goes into the tap.

I should get off my bum and order a 3-piece ball valve and new fitting for through the vessel wall (currently sealed with plumbers tape, lol) and a pickup tube. What's the best place for those fittings, beer belly?

Latest posts

Back