Vessel Volume markers or measurement

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DJ_L3ThAL said:
No there wasn't one attached when I grabbed the keggle, that would really help actually as the trub sits in the centre and I usually to get a bit more into the cube tilt the keggle so the wort around the edges of the whirlpool cone goes into the tap.

I should get off my bum and order a 3-piece ball valve and new fitting for through the vessel wall (currently sealed with plumbers tape, lol) and a pickup tube. What's the best place for those fittings, beer belly?
Site sponsors would help and as you are from Melbourne maybe look at Spiesys new venture or perhaps these guys http://cheekypeakbrewery.com.au

I like Dicko and Spogs idea, but for those of you who are trying to find a cheaper way of measuring volumes other than a sight gauge etc, just pop down to bunnings and buy one of these like i did:

http://www.bunnings.com.au/trojan-1000mm-stainless-steel-ruler_p5668265

you could easily just measure up your pot to find out what increments equaled what volume, then shove it in a vice and bend it over the top/rim of the pot like Dicko and Spogs.

see, simples.

Ive got 2 dowel sticks. A hot one and a cold one, they're just marked with permanent marker. I always measure from the pick up tube at the side of the kettle and I calibrated the sticks from this point.

Im adding about 70L of water so there is a bit of a difference in the values between cold and hot. I know its not a lot, but I was bored one day.

You don't need to get all precious about using timber or markers, that sugar in your coffee is more likely to kill you this week, next week it'll be the coffee.

Never had a problem with cleaning my sight gauges - I ordered a long thin bottle brush for cleaning the insides of them but rarely use it. The one on the MLT only sees water so no problem there, the kettle I just squirt a bit of water down it when I'm cleaning if I could be bothered, they're still crystal clear and makes its so easy to see water levels at a glance.

I've got a proper sight glass on my 3V's HLT. 5L increments, and a red mark at 40L
sight_gauge_zps4f77edde.jpg

On my 3V kettle I just have markings on the outside. You will be surprised how accurately you can measure that way.
marking3_zps182f04ef.jpg

On my 1V I just have a couple of marks on the inside in Niko.

marking_zps447f56ed.jpg

Back