Very Hoppy Taste

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewtus

#beerbackhome
Reaction score
I was brewing on the weekend and decided to try the 'hop extract'. I boiled up a can of Morgan's Australian Bitter with a tin of Morgan's pale LME. The idea is that the kit has minimal hop flavour as it is a megaswill clone and boiling will take the little bit of hop flavour out and I can put it back with the Hop extract. If it works, I can use real hops for flavour but get the bittering from the kit.

When I brew, I some times get a bit of extract on my finger I stick it in my mouth. If it is LME it is just tasty and if it is from the kit it has a bitter-sweet taste with the hops. Sunday I was not paying attention. I had just added the hop extract and spilled some. I got some on my finger but sub-consciously thought it was kit goo so stuck it in my gob. Just think, you use 5ml, a teaspoon, to a 23l batch. It has hop flavour and aroma but not bitterness. Bugger me! It was so strong, I washed my mouth out but still felt like I had skulled four pints of Green King Indian Pale Ale. I took an hour or so to go away. All I can say is be careful what you stick in your mouth.

I may buy some of this purely to try what you've described there :lol:

Latest posts

Back