Very Bitter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hazz20

Reaction score
Hey all, I put down this brew,

Coopers Canadian Blonde
1kg wheat malt
500g ldme
200g crystal
amarillo @ 20 and 0 mins
us-05 yeast

it seems to be on the extreme end of bitter, any reason why? I didn't think it wound turn out this way, being new at the whole boiling hops thing I wasn't sure if 20 mins would create that much bitterness, or have I underestimated the canadian blonde? Any advice would be awesome.

Hazz

That much amarillo for 20min should have only added about 5-10 IBU's in a 23L batch. How did you add the crystal? How long has it been in the bottle for?

did you steep the grains or boil the grains themselves. Boiling would result in tannins which you might think as adding bitterness. The hops you used really wouldnt add much in the way of bitterness.

I hate bitter beer with a passion....but even I can't see why this is too bitter. :eek:

Hey all, I put down this brew,

Coopers Canadian Blonde
1kg wheat malt
500g ldme
200g crystal
amarillo @ 20 and 0 mins
us-05 yeast

it seems to be on the extreme end of bitter, any reason why? I didn't think it wound turn out this way, being new at the whole boiling hops thing I wasn't sure if 20 mins would create that much bitterness, or have I underestimated the canadian blonde? Any advice would be awesome.

Hazz

hi, i cannot see the quantity of additional amarillo hops that you used.

let us know the weight of hops and the infusion time, so that the final bitterness can be estimated.

i tried another brand of canadian blonde and it was a bitter brew without additional hops.

cheers
alan

Steeped the crystal for 25 mins, temp was about 70 degrees, 20g of amarillo @ 20 mins and another 20g at flameout.

Cheers

Hazz

That much amarillo for 20min should have only added about 5-10 IBU's in a 23L batch. How did you add the crystal? How long has it been in the bottle for?

Been in the bottle for just over 4 weeks.

Hazz

By my calcs that should be 37 IBU's, which with that much malt should not taste very bitter. 4 weeks is a bit young so maybe it just needs to age a bit. What was the FG?

By my calcs that should be 37 IBU's, which with that much malt should not taste very bitter. 4 weeks is a bit young so maybe it just needs to age a bit. What was the FG?

FG was 1010, took two and a half weeks to get there at 20 degrees. Was very slow to start.

Hazz

Latest posts

Back