Ventilating Your Garage

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul H

Reaction score
Guys,
Having just had my 2nd fermentation fridge hooked up with a fridgemate I now have a total of 3 fridges & a freezer running on a 24 hour timer in my two car garage. Problem is on days like today when it's stinking hot in Brisbane, the garage (which is located under the 2 level) tends to get a little warm, any ideas on cooling it down?

Cheers

Paul

Ummm open your garage door :p or air con for the garage :huh:

1: Good insulation (reflective foil offset from external coverings by ~40mm and bulk insulation if Winter temps are an issue) in all walls, and roof, optionally double glaze the windows.
2: Protruding eaves to shade northern wall.
3: No windows or roller door on Western side. If present, broad eaves/carport to shade.
4: Cross ventilation. Provide openings/windows to allow ingress of prevailing cool breezes for your district and openings on opposite side to vent.
5: Remove heat generated in garage by installing ventilated panels near the backs of your fridges.

That's about all that's practical for something like a shed.

I decked out my garage roof with air-cell insulation and installed a whirlybird which performs excellently.

It's already been said, cross ventilation, using something like Lift motor cooling fans work a treat. You may need ducting.

I have seen these el-cheapo air fans on floor brackets to move air, could be the go. They can be suspended too. With all the noise and heat coming out, be prepared for a visit by the drug squad! Then get them pissed and they should tell you where to get drugs cheap if in QLD! (just kidding, referring to the old days of Jo Bejerky Petersen)

As with Computer server rooms and Mobile phone bases, they are all air conditioned.

Good Insulation is the answer..
Insulate upstairs properly and downstairs will reek the rewards too. (2 birds with one stone and all that..)
I have upstairs of the shed insulated to cope with the sun but downstairs is often the coolest place in the home thanks to the cross draught coming through from the open roller doors...
Make sure you open upstairs too as this will aid downstairs's cooling.. :icon_cheers:
The whirlybird vent things on the roof are awesome too.. just make sure you have holes in your eve's to drag the cool air in to the roof.
Also if you put an adjustable vent on your inside ceiling you can draw hot air out and cool in thanks to the the Whily-gig roof spinning things... (Jesus, i know my terminology dont i?)

Sqyre... :huh:

gable vents in walls theyre not cheap (for me they are) ventaling ridge on the top of your garage and insulate

been thinking about the whirly-bird-spinny-sucky-out things, also may just get the 9" grinder out and cut a hole in the wall :lol:

yard

Stay at home, drink beer and keep an eye on the thermometer. Open/close garage door as required.

Beats work. :p

I'm a big fan of green insulation, why not plant some hop trellises on the sunny side for insulation and greatly reduce your heat absorption during summer plus you harvest a crop of hops as a bonus.

cheers
grant

man a pedesstill fan will worka treat. any non openable windows alfoil them up.
if its your place get an extraction fan like used in shed and toilets, $40 anda lot of them are prewired just plug into extention lead.

man a pedesstill fan will worka treat. any non openable windows alfoil them up.
if its your place get an extraction fan like used in shed and toilets, $40 anda lot of them are prewired just plug into extention lead.

I picked one up from Bunnings for 19 dollars a few months back, it comes with the three-prong plug attached and all. All you need to do is cut a hole (or have one already there) big enough to slide the fan in and plug it in to the power. easy as!

Latest posts

Back