Another newbie

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rakijaipivo

Reaction score
Hi guys - its something it has been a while in the making but finally I have taken the plunge decided to make my own brew! I figured I would start slow and start with extract (although I dont drink the stuff - coopers to be precise). I am located in Melbourne and am limited to the garage (thanks wifey!) this in turn means controlling temps is going to be hard. I havent got the option (just yet) of a fridge, so before taking the next plunge i.e. actually adding the extract - I thought I would do some dry runs just with water.

I have 4 x 30ltr fermenters which all have 23 ltrs of water (per the coopers instructions)
To start:
- 3 have tap water in them which is around 17 degrees
- 1 I mixed boiling water to get the 23 ltrs to 23 degrees
Each has a heating belt however they vary in their placement
- One has the belt at the top of the water (i.e. at the 23 ltr mark)
- Two have them at the bottom (i.e. 0 ltr mark)
- The last one has the belt around the middle. This fermenter is the one that has the water temp at 23 degrees.

all the belts are plugged in via a power board to a timer that cycles them on an hour on an hour off over a 24 hour period. (I will probably play with that over time)

This morning all the fermenters had dropped there temp to 17 degrees. Specific to belt placement, based on the test above it doesnt seem to make much of a difference regarding belt placement (or belts in general) Would you all agree with that? if not have you got any tips?

Second, regarding the pitching temp I have read that the actual fermentation itself has the ability to increase the water temp between 4-6 degrees - do you guys agree?

Also, regarding lagers I have also read that they can or are meant to be fermented at around 17 degrees, however the coopers draught/lager recommends a pitching temp of 23 degrees - has anyone had any experience brewing their draught at 17 degrees?

I know the obvious solution to all of this is 'just give it a go' however 'measure twice - cut once', right?

Sorry about all the questions and the long post - but thanks in advance for your input!!

Back